Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 Whitecaps

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A team with a dwindling fan base..... how do you not think investment is the key after a good finish to the ending of last season. We clearly needed a few pieces to really become properly competitive. Instead we lose our MVP and get worse. It’s tough to justify the energy to support with there being so many other sports options. I already have Man Utd effecting my mental health.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A team with a dwindling fan base..... how do you not think investment is the key after a good finish to the ending of last season. We clearly needed a few pieces to really become properly competitive. Instead we lose our MVP and get worse. It’s tough to justify the energy to support with there being so many other sports options. I already have Man Utd effecting my mental health.
I think I've been about as loyal a viewer of this club than anyone. For the last two matches I haven't even tried tuning in. Haven't RVRed, nothing.

I just can't until they address the issues, and RT should never wear an armband, I just don't get it.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cava looks a much more involved player this year, last night he was very good I thought. Vite is a good player and hopefully will only get better as long as the Caps don't try and mold him into something else (which means they will and ruin him as a player).

Hassal I'm sorry is a poser. He has qualities for sure and I would like him in the sticks... but his acrobatics after the ball is already past him needs to go.

RT is what he is. No idea why the Caps have never addressed this huge hole in their lineup - it's really not his fault, but this team is never going to be anything more than what they are right now until they properly address the middle of the park.

Dejome is vastly overrated. As is Brown.

Fcuk me, I could go on and on but this team is hopeless. Even with Gauld and Alexandre coming back into the squad won't fix things. Help for sure but long-term, it will just be more of the same.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
RT was a bench player in 2016 & 2017.

In the Caps midfield back then? Matias Laba.

They've just never found an equal or better replacement for him.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gershon should have been the Caps longest serving member.
True. I suppose it was both him/RT that originally played alongside Laba, with Laba the pure destroyer and the other being in the box-to-box role. Certainly you'd have to think he would have reduced RT's time in future seasons, if not won the role outright.

So why did they move him and keep RT? RT was Canadian? Cheaper? Something else?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pre game show TSN they basically roasted Tiebart and really questioned why he was wearing the armband.

They even called out his lack of forward passing. Yet the caps keep going back to him. I honestly don't get it. Everyone is seeing the same thing yet no one is addressing it.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
RT still makes more sense as a player bombing up and down the wing back position. The issue is you need possession and an actual middle of the park or wing backs can never get up the field. Rt is ok to come in the middle and hustle and bustle for 20 min to kill off a game but he doesn’t have the vision and talent at this level to get us up the park and be a staple in our midfield. Get the ball play it square to the winger, run over to him and get it back, play it backwards. It’s 90min of that.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really never understood it. Gershon got his CND Residency so counted as a domestic... so that wasn't it.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have to wonder if RT is great at the locker room politics. Drive some wedges btw players and help him keep his spot while having others move out.

I know thats a bit of tin foil hat stuff but we have all been on teams where that happens and you wonder if he plays the politics to ensure he stays on the team and keeps his spot.

Their was rumblings of it a few years back as well so not something that just got pulled put of thin air.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
True. I suppose it was both him/RT that originally played alongside Laba, with Laba the pure destroyer and the other being in the box-to-box role. Certainly you'd have to think he would have reduced RT's time in future seasons, if not won the role outright.

If memory serves they needed to free up some money, and were of the view that he and Laba were basically the same player. Of course, now they have no one to play that role.

The frustrating thing is that a double box to box set up can work - if you have a true number ten at the top of the triangle. Imagine a Gauld type playing with Koffie / Laba instead of RT and Baldy. But, with apologies to fat Chumiento, they didn't really have that player. Lee Nguyen could have been, but he said something (genuinely) offensive so they let him go for nothing.

This organization just can't get out of its own way. This is why, in a perfect world, all five members of the "committee" are shown the door - permanently...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If memory serves they needed to free up some money, and were of the view that he and Laba were basically the same player. Of course, now they have no one to play that role.

The frustrating thing is that a double box to box set up can work - if you have a true number ten at the top of the triangle. Imagine a Gauld type playing with Koffie / Laba instead of RT and Baldy. But, with apologies to fat Chumiento, they didn't really have that player. Lee Nguyen could have been, but he said something (genuinely) offensive so they let him go for nothing.

This organization just can't get out of its own way. This is why, in a perfect world, all five members of the "committee" are shown the door - permanently...

We had Morales in front of Laba and the Brazilian from New York...I forgot his name. lol
I think the issue back then was we didn't have a #9. We're always missing a few key ingredients it seems.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Morales was our best attacking mid. By far, not even close.

Laba excellent as a destroyer.

Gershon- with Laba anchoring and Morales free roaming, played the role of an energetic #8 very well.

When you consider those guys left then the guys we kept, you shake your head.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
zero commentary on the game on Saturday here... not the best sign for the franchise...

first game on my shared seasons... complete sideways / backpass snoozer until a goal unlocked both teams to go forward...

Portland's goalie made some excellent saves, while Hasal save exactly one of the four shots on target... at some point you hope your goalie bails you out once or twice - starting to see the Crepeau effect...

Gauld has no service, and is even having to do some of the dirty work... RT wasn't awful, but he was invisible. Berhalter did far more of the work.

Awful Raposo giveaway in the attacking third leads to a quick counter and ridiculous 'meg on the far side, leads to a wonderfully collected and finished goal from Portland's DP striker... watching him cushion a driven, 40 yard cross down into his feet precisely where he wanted it made me think about how far it would have bounced off Cavallini's foot...

Most concerning thing was Sartini moaning about how he couldn't understand how they lost... well, Portland scored more than you did, which tends to happen when they get saves and you don't. It also tends to happen when you can't control the center of the park and you spend what little DP money you do have on flotsam...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Had to look up "flotsam". LOL. About right. We are a franchise of flotsam.

I think I posted this when Crepeau moved on that it was idiocy to not either throw cash at him to keep him, or find a like replacement, because he alone was probably responsible for 10+ points last year on wins that should have been draws, or draws that should have been losses.

Instead, they put an inexperienced, still growing rookie in (and he is a rookie, don't care about his small handful of MLS matches), and fail to insulate him with:
-A Capable holding mid.
-A capable box-to-box mid.
-A DP Striker.

Oh look, all of those spots are the spine of a team. Weird.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's on par with the Leafs and Oilers still not understanding after a decade that you need above average goaltending to get anywhere...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Berhalter has been a good pickup for the caps. Can switch the ball and ping passes like baldy except berhalter can actually run and get stuck in tackles and play some defence. Is he a starter? Not sure on most mls team he starts but on the caps if it comes down to him baldy or rusty I give the nod to berhater.

I thought he was one of the better caps players out there Saturday.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0