Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 WC Qualifying

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was thinking about that the other day... with how the squad is coming together, who would you sit in the middle of the park if he was brought back in? Even Atiba at this point of his career, is it worth it? For me, I would bring back Atiba for a single home game to give him a proper "send off" game.

Thoughts?
Ariba is not retiring. Only injuries and body management at his age have kept him out. He came to play Bermuda in March and would have been here for these games had his body allowed it. He will be back in Sept. assuming he is healthy. He is playing some of the best football of his career currently and, after years of carrying the mantle for Canadian soccer alone he is more than entitled to this World Cup qualification run. When it ends he will hang them up...or he will play at the World Cup.

Arfield is a different kettle of fish. All sorts of rumours that he was focused on Rangers title run, Gerrard didn't want him flying all across the world for extra matches at his age, Covid complications for travel, etc., etc. It was also rumoured that he more or less told Herdman he did not want to travel all over the world playing minnows.

Only Herdman knows the real situation with Arfield and he will know the feeling in the locker room towards him as well.

IMO I think Arfield is done. He's been away for over a year now, meanwhile Atiba, Hoillet, David, Davies, Larin have all put the effort in to get across the Atlantic and take care of business. Arfield is good, but he's not that good and if he won't come to play minnows I doubt he's coming to make up the numbers and sit on the bench.

Maybe the team goes to bat for him and says they want him involved. The midfield is already crowded though, so it's tough to imagine MAK, Osorio, Piette et al saying get Arfield in and I'll watch from the side.

If Arfield really wants back in maybe he calls Herdman and says "Hey, I was burnt out, but I'll come lead this B Team at Gold Cup and earn my place back in the first team.". I doubt it though...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there an actual quote somewhere about Canada playing a B squad in Gold Cup or is that just everyone's assumption?

In some ways wouldn't it make sense to keep the team together and work on tactics in Gold Cup so everything is more automatic when they reconvene for the WCQ matches?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there an actual quote somewhere about Canada playing a B squad in Gold Cup or is that just everyone's assumption?

In some ways wouldn't it make sense to keep the team together and work on tactics in Gold Cup so everything is more automatic when they reconvene for the WCQ matches?
Just an assumption.

Such a loaded schedule that surely guys need some time off. They've come straight out of a European season to play 4 games in 15 days. If they play Gold Cup they will have a month long tournament and then go right back into European league play at the start of August.

Gotta think the sports science folk for both club and country want to build in some rest for the top players to keep them performing at their peak.

Won't know until the squad is released though, so we'll see.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do like Atiba playing in the qualifiers in the games where we I'll need his leadership and experience.

He is still one of our best players.

The idea of playing him in the games such as away to Mexico and against the USA for both rounds.

Let him rest if we play Hondurars at home and use him strategically keeping in mind his age and body.

Just a thought...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we want to win we need our best players. Should Arfield be welcomed back if it’s not some glaring issue, absolutely. He’s 32 and just won his first trophy at the top level, can you blame him. Undefeated season, sorry lads need to fly over to play Bermuda. It’s a big one. I don’t take much issue, Canada pride and all that but half our games are a joke. At that age it’s about body management and knowing your body(mind included).

It’s commendable what Atiba and others have done. Davies well he’s a kid, he should be at everything and he just left Canada. Being a snob gets us nowhere, get the best players/team on the pitch. If Arfield thinks he’s above it at this stage well fcuk off then.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look I'm not shutting the door on Arfield. It's just that he seems to think he's too good to play Canada's shitty games. Which, fair point, he likely is. However, it is where the program was and the others all did their part to get us out of it.

At his age this is his only shot at a World Cup, so my guess is maybe he makes a play to get back in. For me it comes down to:

1. Is he a better option than Eustaquio, Osorio, MAK in midfield?

2. Will the dressing room welcome him back?

Two "yes" and he's in. One "no" and I am fine moving on.

Re: Gold Cup

Do I want to see us send our best team? Sure. Of course. Who doesn't love actually contending for a trophy?

For me it's bigger picture though. World Cup qualification is an uphill battle, but a genuine possibility. Even if you give spots to USA and Mexico there's still 1.5 spots left to play for and Canada is ranked lower than our talent belies.

There will be other Gold Cups. Including one 2 years from now when a bunch of our guys are hitting their prime and there's no World Cup qualifiers clogging up the schedule.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gold Cup will be great for guys who are gonna be borderline starters for the qualifiers and possibly to take a look at guys we may want to add for depth who we didnt have first round although the team is essentialy set.

Perhaps we can get our center backs some playing time at gold cup to help strengthen that area. Would be good to see Henry and Stewart play minutes.

Junior Hoilett would be a good bet as well as he needs more game minutes.

Cavallini? He comes off the bench for most games so another option there though he does get good minutes with Canada.

He doesn't touch the ball with the caps so would be good for him to get some touches. Rusty just looks at him and passes back to Max Creapeau.

I could see Sam Piettes,Max Creapue, Sam Adeukube, Tesho Akindele, Ayo Akinola etc.

If I see Rusty Russel Tiebart wearing the capt arm band then I know it's a lost cause.

Last edited:

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
At his age this is his only shot at a World Cup, so my guess is maybe he makes a play to get back in. For me it comes down to:

1. Is he a better option than Eustaquio, Osorio, MAK in midfield?

This is a pisstake, right?

It must be a pisstake...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gold Cup will be great for guys who are gonna be borderline starters for the qualifiers and possibly to take a look at guys we may want to add for depth who we didnt have first round although the team is essentialy set.

Perhaps we can get our center backs some playing time at gold cup to help strengthen that area. Would be good to see Henry and Stewart play minutes.

Who is Stewart?

Do you mean Kennedy?

Or maybe Mayor of Vancouver, Kennedy Stewart? I know a previous mayor of Vancouver was a soccer player!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we want to win we need our best players. Should Arfield be welcomed back if it’s not some glaring issue, absolutely. He’s 32 and just won his first trophy at the top level, can you blame him. Undefeated season, sorry lads need to fly over to play Bermuda. It’s a big one. I don’t take much issue, Canada pride and all that but half our games are a joke. At that age it’s about body management and knowing your body(mind included).

It’s commendable what Atiba and others have done. Davies well he’s a kid, he should be at everything and he just left Canada. Being a snob gets us nowhere, get the best players/team on the pitch. If Arfield thinks he’s above it at this stage well fcuk off then.
I just don't think he's our best, but as depth? Yeah, absolutely, and first up if the previously mentioned midfielders can't go.

Again, I'm comfortable w/ whatever decision Herdman makes here. I'd have to believe that, regardless of the reason why he didn't come for this, he'll want to partake in the Oct, because all players want to go to the WC.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Everyone appears on the prelim gold cup roster including Arfield...

A couple of interesting young players in the list that are attached to EPL teams in Jebbison and Flores. I'm not sure if that's more hopeful or if there's actually something agreed with them.

Edit: Borjan is missing

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
21 players on that roster with current or former ties to MLS, most Canadian MLS clubs.

Can we now say that MLS making inroads into Canada has undoubtedly helped boost our MNT? When it became clear the Caps were getting an expansion spot, that was actually a discussion point, and I remember one prominent TTPer at the time saying that the MLS was never going to be a help to grow the MNT.

We have had a lot of problems (development, identification, retention), but I'd argue those problems started alleviating themselves with the advent of MLS academies. I still say out biggest issue in 2010 was lack of a proper professional pathway.

It'll be exciting to see how the next 10 years look, and how CPL starts to contribute to the growth.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hasal? I dunno man, he can have the best reflexes in the world but if he still can't kick further than 30 yards, he shouldn't be getting a sniff :)

Bair is a waste of roster space too. Not MNT standard at all. Put him on the national futsal or esport team if you must.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hasal? I dunno man, he can have the best reflexes in the world but if he still can't kick further than 30 yards, he shouldn't be getting a sniff :)

Bair is a waste of roster space too. Not MNT standard at all. Put him on the national futsal or esport team if you must.
It's true, though. Hassal's goal kicks are absurdly bad. Bair, sell to highest bidder, anywhere.

Point being, the pathway has made a huge difference. Identification and development...still problematic, especially at WFC. Different topic.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mexico being punished by FIFA for their fans' homophobic chants last March... first 2 qualifying home games to be played without fans (Jamaica and Canada) so chances of Canada picking up a point a bit better

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mexico being punished by FIFA for their fans' homophobic chants last March... first 2 qualifying home games to be played without fans (Jamaica and Canada) so chances of Canada picking up a point a bit better
That's huge news!

Now AD can run the wing without some bag of piss being thrown at him. This is massive...personally, I was all about putting out the B team in Azteca, but now?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
On a side note how cool is it to see Davies and David be so proud that they are playing for Canada.

Both seem proud to be out there repping Canada and you can see it.

Lazy Larin on the other hand....

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts