Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 WC Qualifying

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Animated GIF

Tacos and a world cup qualifier??? What could be better?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, trying to follow CONCACAF qualifying is like reading a map to a hidden treasure.

So, is tomorrow a must win or tie also puts us through? Would immagine based on GD, so a tie should do the trick, but...?

Surinam (try the grouper tacos with mango salsa, delicious) can indeed send us home in tears Tuesday. I don't see that, but man I have no faith in our CBs. I suppose if I had to, I'd actually have Atiba sitting in front of Vittoria. Henry, though I like him, scares me.

I want to see Canada on full-fledged attack mode from first whistle. No absorbing, or waiting for the game to come to them.

This would be my ideal:

G: Borjan
RB: Richie Laryea CB: Vitoria CB: Atiba (c) LB: Phonzie
RM: Arfield CMF: Piette CMF: Eustaquio LM: Hoilett
F: Larin F: David

I actually struggled with this...nice to have options.

I want experience and killer instinct on the field, so that means you must find a way to have Davies, David, Larin, Atiba, and Arfield all on the field. That being said, I don't even know if Arfield is in camp, hard to find info.

Left side, having Phonzie run at guys from the back has grown on me, just let him do what he's obviously become great at. Hoilett to play inverted.

In the middle, I'd have Atiba running the show from the back. Piette as your bulldog, and free up Eustaquio to pull the strings higher up the pitch.

I think obviously controlling the middle of the field is going to be key. For the first time ever, we have an attack that will be feared by most nations in Concacaff, if not all. Larin has come full circle for me, seeing some of the work he put in the other day was good, as opposed to behaving like the petul;ant child we've seen in the past. David is a killer, full stop.

If Atiba is not both starting and wearing the armband, huge issue. I still think he's in ghe conversation opf our best player, maybe Davies has jumped ahead, but that's it. I don't think Herdman is that dumb to not start him, especially after giving him rest Saturday.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A draw puts us through.

Also for some of your other questions:

One notable absence is 38-year-old captain Atiba Hutchinson, who is nursing a mild hamstring injury from his last game with Turkey's Besiktas. Former skipper Scott Arfield, who won the Scottish title with Rangers this season, remains out of the picture for the time being as he takes an international break.

Goalkeeper James Pantemis, defenders Doneil Henry, Scott Kennedy and Steven Vitoria and midfielders Liam Fraser and Jonathan Osorio and forward Tajon Buchanan are added to the 24-man roster.

Dropping out are Hutchinson, Maxime Crepeau, Ricardo Ferreira, Cristian Gutierrez, Kamal Miller, Joel Waterman and Jayden Nelson.

Crepeau's partner is expecting a baby while Miller is injured.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"International Break"? WTF does that mean?

Shitty on Atiba.

What do you think, @Regs ? Tajon Buchanan looked pretty good Saturday, enough to earn him a spot on the right? Also, suppose it means Henry and Vitoria in the middle. One a hard man who handles the ball like a grenade, the other, a tall soft man who can play the ball. Maybe these two will sort it out. I can't put my finger on it, but Vitoria just looks too much of a pretty boy back there. Nice to look at....but.....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
"International Break"? WTF does that mean?

Shitty on Atiba.

What do you think, @Regs ? Tajon Buchanan looked pretty good Saturday, enough to earn him a spot on the right? Also, suppose it means Henry and Vitoria in the middle. One a hard man who handles the ball like a grenade, the other, a tall soft man who can play the ball. Maybe these two will sort it out. I can't put my finger on it, but Vitoria just looks too much of a pretty boy back there. Nice to look at....but.....
I posted TB as my MOTM so yeah, I think he earned it.

Vitoria, yes, Henry, no.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So who else in the middle? Frank Sturing? Does anyone even know this guy? FC Den Bosch? Some Dutch club in what I think is the Dutch Second division? Are we making this an all Dutch affair, now? Do we rate small Dutch team ahead of FC Montreal? Yes, I see Joel Waterman got dropped, but he's made 3 appearances this year, several last year.

I'm just hoping it's not Cornelius, Jesus that guy is a composureless mess, way more than Henry. Henry may be a constant PK risk, but Cornelius will just open the door and let a guy walk in.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you guys want some good read and up to date info in real time.

Canadiansoccernews.com/forums

As if now now looks like a 4 3 3 for Canada.

Johnston from Nashville and Laryea outside backs.

Center backs?

Looks like Kennedy and Vitoria

Piette Eustaqui Osoria midfield

Davies David Larin up top

This is my educated guess we could see Mark Anthony Kay instead osorio who was injured and has not played alot.

Henry could be in for Vittoria.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you guys want some good read and up to date info in real time.

Canadiansoccernews.com/forums

As if now now looks like a 4 3 3 for Canada.

Johnston from Nashville and Laryea outside backs.

Center backs?

Looks like Kennedy and Vitoria

Piette Eustaqui Osoria midfield

Davies David Larin up top

This is my educated guess we could see Mark Anthony Kay instead osorio who was injured and has not played alot.

Henry could be in for Vittoria.

In my struggles to try and fit in all our best players, I left MAK out, but your line-up w/ him over Osoria I actually like better. Besides, good to have someone like Osoria on the bench to either close out a match or go looking for an equalizer should it come to it. I still want Hoilette to start, so I'd kick TB to the bench in favor of MAK in your formation.

Still don't know what to expect of our CBs, and that's my worry.

Good article here, talks about the Surinam spine. That's our weakness right now, and given their obvious intent is on the counter....well fcuk me, anyone can see that the intent here is to get that counter opportunity, get numbers forward, and bet on our CB's either mucking it up, or Henry Clattering someone for a PK.

I'd feel a 1000x more assured w/ Atiba in the fold, just sayin'.

Amazing that in this article, he didn't even mention David or Larin, and maybe that's more of a compliment to Canada, or the fact he spent so much space drooling over Davies (let's face it, well earned).

https://btsvancity.com/2021/06/06/s...name-in-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-action/

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kennedy plays 2.Bundesliga. I don't believe he's ever been capped. Would certainly be a big call to start him over guys who have served the program longer in such a crucial match.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So....

Our options to play beside Vitoria are two Tier II level European Pros, or one Tier I level MLS player, who can't crack maybe the worst club in MLS, and who cries at the sight of his own shadow? Those are our options?

Can DeVos suit up?

We've seen enough of these Tier II European pros come through WFC now to know, really, there is a reason they are leaving Europe.

Somebody put a Canadian Passport application in front of Godoy, at least. Better than every one of these guys.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude - Here's some tea leaf reading for you if you fancy a deep dive...

Herdman has repeatedly been clear that (similar to the last qualifiers) he has viewed this as a split squad situation. So essentially if you started Saturday vs. Aruba, you are not starting Tuesday vs. Suriname.

Looking at the lineup and the decisions Herdman made with the bench vs. Aruba it would seem to support his commitment to this approach.

Looking at the lineup Saturday:

St. Clair

Adekube
Vitoria
Sturring
Buchanan

Fraser
Kaye
Wotherspoon

Hoilett
Cavalini
Fraser

None of those guys figure to start vs. Suriname.

Borjan is a lock to be in goal.

At CB, the possible exception to the "only start one game" strategy might be Vitoria. However, he's 34 and the oldest guy in the squad this time around. It would be a big call to go with Kennedy and Henry at CB, but I cannot say I would be surprised to see it. Not that I would support it, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

For the FBs - neither Laryea nor Johnston got in against Aruba. Both play RB regularly. Can one of them play LB? I guess we will find out. Adekube is the only natural left back in the squad as Phonzie has stated that he wants to play a more advanced role when playing for Canada - unlike 2019 when he played LB at the Gold Cup and vs. the US in Nations League. At the time, Herdman said Phonzie was one of the best left backs in the world and playing at a top club so of course Canada will use him at LB. But then in March Phonzie started at LW against Bermuda and Cayman Islands. So a bit of an about face there from the Canada hierarchy, but the point is all signs point to him playing LW vs. Suriname. Also pointing to BOTH Johnston and Laryea starting at FB vs. Suriname is the fact that when Hoillet went down in the first half Saturday and Herdman moved Buchanan from RB to RW, Brault-Guillard came on. One would assume, based on the March window, that both Laryea and Johnston are currently ahead of ZBG on the depth chart. Both Johnston and Laryea were dressed and available off the bench Saturday. One would assume that if only one of the two were playing on Tuesday, the other one would have been tapped to go in Saturday. The fact that both were held back would seem to indicate that they are set to both play Tuesday.

In MF it seems Kaye is very much down Herdman's pecking order. He did not see the field against Bermuda in March and was, instead, tapped to be in the "2nd squad" that was tasked with doing the job against Cayman Islands. It was a similar situation for Wotherspoon in the CAM role back in March. Presumably that was job done for those two on Saturday night and they will have a watching brief from the bench Tuesday. Fraser is a depth player and was surely out to get his experience vs. Aruba. Assuming Herdman sticks to a three-man midfield, Piette, Osorio and Eustaquio are ready made replacements, with Osorio presumably playing in the CAM. I personally cannot stand Piette and would love for him to be left out for literally any other player in the squad, but Canada seem to love him. Eustaquio looked great against Bermuda and is turning some heads in Europe with rumors of a potential summer move to a bigger club. He is a lock for Tuesday. Osorio is coming off injury but figures to be involved for as long as he can go and then be replaced by a Wotherspoon, Hoillet, etc.

As for the front three, similar to Kaye, Hoillet was handed the armband against Aruba and seemingly tasked with ensuring there were no shocks on the cards. Any faint thought of him starting Tuesday was likely extinguished with his first half injury. If Canada can beat Suriname it will be interesting to see what role he is handed next week against either Haiti or Nicaragua. Against Bermuda in March he played as the CAM, and was possibly the guy likely to come on for Osorio or as reinforcement if Canada are chasing the game against Suriname. With this injury though, who knows if he is even available Tuesday. Barring a shock decision to play Davies at LB, Phonzie will be at LW. Larin will get the nod over Cavalini based on current form and, again, the "split-squad" approach Canada are taking. David will be in the starting 11, most likely at RW. However, David plays in a 2-striker system at Lille and it looks like that is how he and Larin operated when they came on to stretch their legs against Aruba. If Osorio can't go, or Herman wants to spring a tactical surprise, he could start Corbeanu at RW and play David just off Larin. Corbeanu came on at half time to replace Miller, though, against Aruba in what seemed like a very much pre-planned change. Again, based on this split-squad approach, and how much Herdman and his staff love to pre-plan all their changes and minutes, etc., my guess is that those two were promised a chance to split the Aruba game and then one or both might be used of the bench depending on how the Suriname game develops.

So, after all that, the most likely 11 for Tuesday looks to be:

Borjan

Johnston
Kennedy
Henry
Laryea

Eustaquio
Piette
Osorio

David
Larin
Davies

With perhaps Vitoria in place of one of those CBs and maybe David playing in a front two with Larin instead of Osorio and Corbeanu (or another) on the wing.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So stoked for this.

Big issue: it's nice outside. Can't waste that.

I am trying to find out on the OneSoccer Ap (worst ever) if there is a way to either re-watch afterwards, or start late? It's not on mainstream TV so I can't PVR it (unless it's getting picked up, doesn't appear to be though).

Has anyone tried watching a match from the beginning on this Ap, after the game has started? Like if I turn it on at 7:30, am I only going to be able to catch the last few minutes?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WSSE (Worst Stream Service Ever) has replays available but no idea how long after a match finishes before it is available.

1623165300122.png

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It really is terrible. But thanks, that's something. I'll try and stay off social media till I can replay in the evening.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So stoked for this.

Big issue: it's nice outside. Can't waste that.

I am trying to find out on the OneSoccer Ap (worst ever) if there is a way to either re-watch afterwards, or start late? It's not on mainstream TV so I can't PVR it (unless it's getting picked up, doesn't appear to be though).

Has anyone tried watching a match from the beginning on this Ap, after the game has started? Like if I turn it on at 7:30, am I only going to be able to catch the last few minutes?
I believe replays are available the next day from OneSoccer. No idea why they make you wait and maybe they will improve that turnaround time...

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0