Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 WC Qualifying

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First half thoughts...

Davies a bit of a stinker, trying to do too much

Osorio was a ghost

Kennedy solid again, perhaps the most impressive revelation for me over these last 4 games. Estaq is up there too.

Onesoccer Muppets still doing my head in. Both in game and in studio.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also I don't know why Wheeler thinks Haiti now need 3 goals???

Does he think Canada's away goal counts for double or something??

He doesn't seem to realize that if Haiti win 2-1 they'll have two away goals.....

But ya that OG...one for the all time blooper reel along with Paul Robinson.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Grenada, coached by M.F. (a BC product), was defeated by tiny Montserrat last week in qualifying. Montserrat had a population of 5,000 on 2016, but its probably a little higher now. A poor country that can't even update census data.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada games not scheduled yet but we know who they will play in each window as that draw was conducted before Canada even finished the first qualifying round.

September:
vs. Honduras
@USA
vs. El Salvador

October:
@Mexico
@Jamaica
vs. Panama

November:
vs. Costa Rica
vs. Mexico

January:
@Honduras
vs. USA
@El Salvador

March:
@Costa Rica
vs. Jamaica
@Panama

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada games not scheduled yet but we know who they will play in each window as that draw was conducted before Canada even finished the first qualifying round.

September:
vs. Honduras
@USA
vs. El Salvador

October:
@Mexico
@Jamaica
vs. Panama

November:
vs. Costa Rica
vs. Mexico

January:
@Honduras
vs. USA
@El Salvador

March:
@Costa Rica
vs. Jamaica
@Panama
For me, that's a decent draw for Canada and it all comes down to home form.

Hot early takes:

If they can start with 9 points again Honduras, Panama, and El Salvador that puts them in a great position to make those teams play catch up right off the hop. Difficult trips to wherever the USA picks to play us and the Azteca, where any result at all would be a huge bonus. The October trip to Kingston is an interesting one though where a Canada team in form might well be able to knick a point. Jamaica have been strengthening however, much the same as Canada, as they scour Europe's top leagues for anyone with any heritage at all.

After that the rubber really hits the road, hence why the start is so crucial. That Costa Rica home game really seems like it has the potential to define Canada's qualification bid. The other teams that will hopefully behind us in the table at this point will see a big chance to make up ground, but a result against the Costa Ricans would be huge. Mexico is obviously a juggernaut and we cannot be expecting points from that one, but, again, chance for a bonus point maybe. Obviously I would love to see games at BC Place and I am sure most of the games will be in Toronto because of its proximity to Europe and the grass pitch. However, for Mexico and Costa Rica at home in November I vote Commonwealth in Edmonton or Investor's Group in Winnipeg. We have seen Costa Rica have trouble in the snow before... (see Denver, 2013).

Then comes the question marks in the January window. I think FIFA is adding a window due to the disruption Covid-19 has caused, but I cannot seem to confirm this at the moment. January is not a traditional FIFA window, and if it is a CONCACAF only window, that could be very dodgy re who is available to play. Tricky away trips to El Salvador and Honduras with USA at home. Canada simply has to get points in this window and, obviously, we all know how this team has traditionally struggled to get points on the road in Central America. Meanwhile, the US game almost certainly has to be at BC Place given BMO Field will surely be unplayable in January.

The final window will no doubt come down to how the table looks going into it. If Canada has amassed 13-15 points by March, they should have a chance. Costa Rica away is another very tough match to see Canada getting something out of, but it depends whether or not Costa Rica has more or less locked up a spot in Qatar by then. It is tough to see them being home and cooled by Match Day 11, so chances are a win over Canada might be what they need to punch their ticket. Jamaica at home sets up as a must win and if there is any hope of Canada qualifying it is sure to be a great atmosphere (probably in Toronto...). Then Panama away to close it out. Tough to see Canada having already secured a top four spot prior to this game, which means they will likely need a result away from home in Central America. Hopefully it won't end like Honduras away in 2013...

Overall, it is certainly an uphill battle, but we've got a ticket to the dance so anything can happen. With the exception of Mexico, Canada should genuinely have a chance against every one of these teams at home. If they can hold serve, it will likely come down to whether or not we can finally pick up away points in CONCACAF against the other bottom half sides. Canada has never been able to do that before, but we have never had a team like this either.

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Deserved to be roasted. Wish I heard it in real time. lol
No, it was lame. Very embarrassing for Wheeler. Very unprofessional, and he was openly taunting a Canadian professional player that may have just lived his worst moment. The guy just happened to have Haitian heritage and, if you've seen the line of keepers we have you can understand why he chose Haiti. As much as this moment is now famous, he may have become equally famous for being the worst play-by-play homer in the sport. Yes, even when compared to the passion we hear in footballing first nations.

I am not saying this flippantly: it's probably a good thing he doesn't live down there, or (hopefully) have family down there, because it's not a stretch for some to start accusing him of being bought....even though you could see in the moment he was living his worst nightmare, bumbling around with the ball, inches from the goal line, and Cyle Larin closing in fast. We have seen players lose their lives after having moments like this (Columbia, '84 was it?).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For me, that's a decent draw for Canada and it all comes down to home form.

Hot early takes:

If they can start with 9 points again Honduras, Panama, and El Salvador that puts them in a great position to make those teams play catch up right off the hop. Difficult trips to wherever the USA picks to play us and the Azteca, where any result at all would be a huge bonus. The October trip to Kingston is an interesting one though where a Canada team in form might well be able to knick a point. Jamaica have been strengthening however, much the same as Canada, as they scour Europe's top leagues for anyone with any heritage at all.

After that the rubber really hits the road, hence why the start is so crucial. That Costa Rica home game really seems like it has the potential to define Canada's qualification bid. The other teams that will hopefully behind us in the table at this point will see a big chance to make up ground, but a result against the Costa Ricans would be huge. Mexico is obviously a juggernaut and we cannot be expecting points from that one, but, again, chance for a bonus point maybe. Obviously I would love to see games at BC Place and I am sure most of the games will be in Toronto because of its proximity to Europe and the grass pitch. However, for Mexico and Costa Rica at home in November I vote Commonwealth in Edmonton or Investor's Group in Winnipeg. We have seen Costa Rica have trouble in the snow before... (see Denver, 2013).

Then comes the question marks in the January window. I think FIFA is adding a window due to the disruption Covid-19 has caused, but I cannot seem to confirm this at the moment. January is not a traditional FIFA window, and if it is a CONCACAF only window, that could be very dodgy re who is available to play. Tricky away trips to El Salvador and Honduras with USA at home. Canada simply has to get points in this window and, obviously, we all know how this team has traditionally struggled to get points on the road in Central America. Meanwhile, the US game almost certainly has to be at BC Place given BMO Field will surely be unplayable in January.

The final window will no doubt come down to how the table looks going into it. If Canada has amassed 13-15 points by March, they should have a chance. Costa Rica away is another very tough match to see Canada getting something out of, but it depends whether or not Costa Rica has more or less locked up a spot in Qatar by then. It is tough to see them being home and cooled by Match Day 11, so chances are a win over Canada might be what they need to punch their ticket. Jamaica at home sets up as a must win and if there is any hope of Canada qualifying it is sure to be a great atmosphere (probably in Toronto...). Then Panama away to close it out. Tough to see Canada having already secured a top four spot prior to this game, which means they will likely need a result away from home in Central America. Hopefully it won't end like Honduras away in 2013...

Overall, it is certainly an uphill battle, but we've got a ticket to the dance so anything can happen. With the exception of Mexico, Canada should genuinely have a chance against every one of these teams at home. If they can hold serve, it will likely come down to whether or not we can finally pick up away points in CONCACAF against the other bottom half sides. Canada has never been able to do that before, but we have never had a team like this either.
I see it as a good draw for Canada. Depth will be critical for all squads. Like you, I see every team but Mexico as beatable. I am old school, and this line of thinking isn't popular as we all like to make our players as comfortable as possible, but fcuk Vancouver under the dome in November. Edmonton, Toronto, Winnipeg. Make it uncomfortable for Mexico & CR. Think they will be doing that for us? Hell, Azteca may be one of the hardest stadiums to play in on the planet! I think there is one higher elevation stadium in Bolivia, holds about 60K in a very poor, crime ridden part of the country, and apparently that's their magic bullet, too. Why can't we take a similar approach? Edmonton or Winnipeg sounds PERFECT. Toronto could still be warm.

Also, given the packed schedule, I don't know if Vancouver even factors in. We need to be good to ourselves, meaning, Montreal and Toronto, easy drop off points, flight wise. As much as I'm dying for a match- and will be going if we get one- I'd far rather CSA be strategic and do what is best to help us win. I'm happy to fly to Toronto to watch a game.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
IDK. The days of shite pitches/coldness are over. Our group wants to PLAY and we need to start thinking in those terms. 30 below will affect our guys as well.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its funny how the conspiracy theorists are out saying the goalie let the goal in.

Yet he stopped David point blank three times in a row and made some great saves during the game that he could have easily let in and saved himself the ridicule.

If you watch that own goal up close you see some some divers and uneven ground that just let the ball literally roll backwards.

I agree with Dude that we need to play our home games in places that make it uncomfortable. Study the weather patterns and pick a place where we get no snow in October but where it can be really cold but still playable.

Edmonton St John's Regina etc.

Dont play in BC as much as would love to watch here.

If it's a Sept game take out to the far east coast along the water such as St John's.

I am just throwing out ideas here wouldnt take long to study westher patterns and populations to find a home game where you still get a crowd out but the weather is to our advantage.

Quebec City?

I am not saying 30 below but cold enough that's it's at least uncomfortable. We dont want to put our own players behind either.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
IDK. The days of shite pitches/coldness are over. Our group wants to PLAY and we need to start thinking in those terms. 30 below will affect our guys as well.
It will affect our guys far less. Hell, most grew up playing in cold climates. Besides, they will be jacked to know we are doing everything possible to make it uncomfortable for others. What I don't want is the Canadian Red Carpet treatment.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0