Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 Group Stage

Will Canada Get out of their group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are almost there, first match this upcoming Sunday morning.

But first, what are Canada's chances in getting a couple of results and getting to the round of 16?

Poll closes in 7 days.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think they've got a chance in each of their games, but I wouldn't remotely favour them in any either...

My Belgians are ancient at the back, and will be vulnerable to Davies' speed down the flank - assuming he's healthy enough to play. But... I see Belgium bossing the middle of the park and Jeremy Doku will give the Canadian back line fits with his own set of rocket boosters out wide... this screams 3-0 to Belgium to me.

Croatia are in the middle of their death rattle but probably have enough to see Canada off... being generous you could see Canada nicking a point here but that's about it.

Morocco is the one they'll need to beat to have a chance, but they're one of those sides that always seems to end up greater than the sum of their parts... again, I'd bet on a tie as the most likely of outcomes.

I think the most likely way Canada gets through is a three-way tie for second below Belgium with the tiebreak going Canada's way for the first time since Moses roamed the earth...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Speaking of the Croats, I see they just finished off Saudi Arabia in a friendly this morning 1-0 with a goal in the 82nd minute.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think they've got a chance in each of their games, but I wouldn't remotely favour them in any either...

This is pretty much my view as well. I can't see us getting smashed and being way off the pace. That said, it really is tough to genuinely see us winning any of these matches.

Tournament football is funny. A lot really does turn on the first match in my opinion. If we can score first against Belgium, how does that change the match? And it is not crazy to think that we might. But if we are trying to grind out a tight game, surely Belgium has the quality to find their way to the points in the end. And if the Belgians are firing on all cylinders it is not inconceivable that they might well run away with it.

Where does that leave Canada in their second game against Croatia? And what if Morocco picks up a result against the Croats? All the dynamics change instantly.

I am just hoping we play well, give ourselves a chance in all the games and score a goal or two. Anything else is probably gravy.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't looked at our opposition in depth so I may be way off here.

I think we have the best striker in the group in David.
Who is playing up top for the other teams? Is Lukaka even going to the WC? He's barely played this year. After him I can't even name another striker...Origi?, the dude in MLS now who played for Palace? lol

Having said that, it'll be hard to have any possession against their fairly stacked midfield. We'll have to play the counter against them and hope aging Vertongen and Alderwield are still in the starting line up! No way Vermalen is still there right?? hahaha

For me, Croatia will be similar however I can't even name a single striker. Is Manzukic still around?

To be honest, I know nothing about Morocco. We gotta be ranked higher than them tho? hahaha
3 points here. lol

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Origi didn't make the squad. Here's the roster FWIW:

Lukaku is in and will be the first choice striker.

Meunier plays as a wingback but it's getting pretty thin at the back, yes.

Batshuayi was supposed to be the next one but he's been shocking in front of net for the Red Devils.

Carrasco is quality and de Ketelaere has shown flashes but someone needs to step up behind the big man...

Doku is top shelf, and only 20...

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We cant get blown out by Belgium. We need a good strong game to get the team some confidence to start.

Do I see us beating Belgium or Croatia?

No.

One thing we can do is sit back and counter. The longer the game goes on the more pressure there will be on Croatia and Belgium to score. Canada played well against Mexico on the counter.

A successful world cup for Canada imo would be:

Two close fought games with Belgium and Croatia where we show we belong and get at least a goal out of the two games.

Beat Morroco.

If we can do that I think it would be considered a success imo.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Origi didn't make the squad. Here's the roster FWIW:

Lukaku is in and will be the first choice striker.

Meunier plays as a wingback but it's getting pretty thin at the back, yes.

Batshuayi was supposed to be the next one but he's been shocking in front of net for the Red Devils.

Carrasco is quality and de Ketelaere has shown flashes but someone needs to step up behind the big man...

Doku is top shelf, and only 20...

I feel Carrasco hasn't been the same player since his holidays in China.
I watched a few Brugge games last year because of Buchanan and I thought de Ketelaere was pretty good. Serie A is a different beast tho. I think he will eventually find his feet there.

Ahh, Batshuayi...decent striker on the day.

I have Belgium topping my group with Canada second. Wishful thinking!

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
didn't know Lukaku hurt his quad upon returning from his hammy injury. Martinez is saying "if he plays he plays", which I think means he's out for the qualifying round.

if that's true, there is a world where Belgium doesn't get out of the group...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
didn't know Lukaku hurt his quad upon returning from his hammy injury. Martinez is saying "if he plays he plays", which I think means he's out for the qualifying round.

It would be a sad end to your Golden generation.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@machel Are you sure David is better than this guy?

Red Devils Football GIF by Royal Belgian FA

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yes. Lukaku was put on the squad to possibly be healthy for the knockout rounds. He will not be in the lineup against Canada.

My issue with Canada is I don't think we have the defense or midfield to sit back and absorb pressure.

I look at the Uruguay game. Despite Wheeler and the rest of the uneducated raving about us "limiting their chances" the reality is they were 2-0 up and cruising. "Canada just keeps forcing them into giving up corners"...right - corners that we did nothing with. I would have had zero problem knocking the ball out for a corner, killing our pace, and dealing with us on set pieces as well. It worked a treat.

Our attack is our best chance, full stop. If we are not threatening other teams with our pace, or if they are neutralizing it the way Uruguay did, then I think we struggle. We do not have the technicians to pick open the Belgiums and Croatias of the world. If we can't put teams on the back foot, I just cannot see our defense holding.

Going to be great to see it all play out though. No matter what happens. Even if it is $19 a pint in the bars!

ShawnK

Nov 16, 2022
Tokens
Dirty Money

My Belgians are ancient at the back, and will be vulnerable to Davies' speed down the flank - assuming he's healthy enough to play. But... I see Belgium bossing the middle of the park and Jeremy Doku will give the Canadian back line fits with his own set of rocket boosters out wide... this screams 3-0 to Belgium to me.

Croatia are in the middle of their death rattle but probably have enough to see Canada off... being generous you could see Canada nicking a point here but that's about it.

Morocco is the one they'll need to beat to have a chance, but they're one of those sides that always seems to end up greater than the sum of their parts... again, I'd bet on a tie as the most likely of outcomes.

I think the most likely way Canada gets through is a three-way tie for second below Belgium with the tiebreak going Canada's way for the first time since Moses roamed the earth...
Personally I think Morocco will be stronger. The guys in this team are physically more resilient, so they will have some advantage.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmmm, might need to update my vote in the thread poll.

Egypt 2-1 Belgium in a friendly this morning... Belgium played a super high line, maybe playing possum?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Watching Atiba scared the shite out of me. I don’t see how he has the legs for those first 2 matches. Age/injury. Erisken got destroyed by De Bruyne in the man united match. He just couldn’t keep up physically. Atiba looked like he needed a cane against Japan. The hype I read about how good he looked? Little surprised by that. I know he’s been injured and has a part to play. This isn’t a time to pay respects. Let’s play the players that give us the best chance.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts