Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alexandre is just not that good, @Regs. He's OK, but nothing he's done tells me he's head and shoulders better than Baldi, and for whatever reason, squad plays better with Baldi in the fold.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alexandre is just not that good, @Regs. He's OK, but nothing he's done tells me he's head and shoulders better than Baldi, and for whatever reason, squad plays better with Baldi in the fold.
….and I say this knowing- and not actually kidding here- that maybe neither would have made the Peg starting 11 that won Nationals.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alexandre is miles ahead of Baldy, that's an apples to radishes comparison.

College stats are cute and all, but I want the player who will be the better pro. They whiffed. As usual.

The CMF thing really throws me off... I can't tell if it's a reference to guys that play in the middle of the park or Coquitlam Metro Ford players...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alexandre is miles ahead of Baldy, that's an apples to radishes comparison.

College stats are cute and all, but I want the player who will be the better pro. They whiffed. As usual.

The CMF thing really throws me off... I can't tell if it's a reference to guys that play in the middle of the park or Coquitlam Metro Ford players...
"Alexandre is miles ahead"? Yeah, I'm not seeing it. There was one match- Alexandre's his last in the 2-1 loss- where I finally saw what he brings, but to say "Miles" is a wild exaggeration. Likewise, I've seen @Regs express the exact same thing in the past about Baldi, that he's not seeing what others are, and fair enough....but "Miles"? Get real. They are very different players that bring different attributes, so there is that, too. Alexandre's game is subtle, he covers a lot of ground, and pulls the strings. Baldi's is flashier, love seeing him spray it around- which is a nice weapon- and far better on set pieces. With the benefit of more time to groom as a pro, really excited to see what Baldi can develop into, whereas Alexandre....what we see is wat we will get, and from here the pieces around him need to improve (not having to play with Russle Tiebert in the middle or on the wing w/ him would be a great start for either- it's like starting a chess match without a bishop). What I like about both is neither are soft in defending. That being said, if we agree that these two are the Cap's "Best" two Centre Midfielders, then that is far more damning on this club than our debate, and you being wildly off the mark.

I was about to make a smart ass comment about CMF, but your comment brought back a weird flashback of training sessions in the spring as a kid, on nice days like this. Willie was an awesome coach.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought Bikel was the best CMF? Or is he more of a CDMF?

If they play double pivot is he better as RCDMF or LCDMF?

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The issue for me is when I look at a Darryl Dyke vs Raposo its just pure athleticism and physicality. Dyke is a beast of a man and we are talking about a physical league, one in which we play maybe not the most technical of a game. We’ve tried our hand at the 5”6 player. How many have worked out? They make sense in a team that plays intricate possession football. Hindsight and all that but I’d be a lot more concerned about a miniature man transferring his game from college to pro.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The issue for me is when I look at a Darryl Dyke vs Raposo its just pure athleticism and physicality. Dyke is a beast of a man and we are talking about a physical league, one in which we play maybe not the most technical of a game. We’ve tried our hand at the 5”6 player. How many have worked out? They make sense in a team that plays intricate possession football. Hindsight and all that but I’d be a lot more concerned about a miniature man transferring his game from college to pro.
This is a way stronger point. My first thought seeing they drafted him wasn't his lack of stats but his size, another small player. Fcuk me.

That being said, I bet in Bizarro World, where they drafted Dyke instead of Raposo, Dyke would still be a flop as a Cap, and Raposo would be on the brink of selling on for $20M. The Caps are a graveyard for development. Maybe in Bizarro World, Bair would play like a 6'4" physical specimen and not a 5'5" miniature man. What would have Bair been able to do in the right NCAA environment? Maybe been a high draft, maybe be that beast of a player you describe, not the frightened, confused kitten we see stepping onto the pitch.

Also in Bizarro world, soccer nerdery would be spoken in real English, not stupid numerical descriptions designed to try and bamboozle.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also in Bizarro world, soccer nerdery would be spoken in real English, not stupid numerical descriptions designed to try and bamboozle.
I swear this is a North American thing and I want to tune out ANY post, commentator, etc that starts down this road.

False 9? Fcuk off, either a striker or a midfielder who can either play or can't.

#6? Fcuk off, either an attacking mid, defensive mid or box-to-box who can either play or can't. All players have strengths and weaknesses. Question is can they adopt as the play requires?

Ironically, @Dude has started to speak like a jock sniffer in these terms at times :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I swear this is a North American thing and I want to tune out ANY post, commentator, etc that starts down this road.

False 9? Fcuk off, either a striker or a midfielder who can either play or can't.

#6? Fcuk off, either an attacking mid, defensive mid or box-to-box who can either play or can't. All players have strengths and weaknesses. Question is can they adopt as the play requires?

Ironically, @Dude has started to speak like a jock sniffer in these terms at times :)
Guilty, and I've tried to bring it back now because I get sick of it. The worst is when the Sniffers look at an attacking CMFer ;) and then say, "Well, he's not really a 10, more like a false 9, but then sometimes he drops deep to play beside the 6 so he can...." blahblahblah...enough.

What can he do on the pitch, and as you say, adapt as needed?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Baldy came through the Burnaby Selects and then Mountain, and we had him for the summer games as an underage - somehow - as well. I'm somewhat familiar with his strengths and weaknesses. I love him as a player and he's done well to get to this stage, but comparing him with Caio Alexandre in terms of game awareness and pure ability is, respectfully, a bridge too far for me. I see a mix of Felipe and Chumiento (minus the home cooking) in Alexandre; I don't know that Baldy gets there and he's definitely not there currently.

As for the mini-mite graveyard, it's the curse of Camilo - we all know it, let's stop beating around the fcuking bush... only the Whitecaps could have messed THAT up...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
at least they got value for Davies:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
at least they got value for Davies:

Crazy, eh? Only 7 players on this planet worth more than him. It's actually unbelievable. So cool, such a great success story he is. Even Caps couldn't fcuk him up.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Match Day!

Do we see a marked improvement in the team with all the time away for training? RT with more than 1 positive pass forward?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RT for sure to start, we will keep starting so long as he has those photos of MDS buried in his safe.

I've had Euro then Copa on all day in my office, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to watch!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zzzzzzz

Shoc-king.

MDS out.
Bad prep, bad formation (back three a shite show), and terrible subs/ game management. Yup, MDS out. And ownership Out, cause without them changing, we will keep getting served up the game garbage.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Baldy too short could get up for the second goal and didnt close down the first goal.

Sorry he is great at switching the play and hitting long balls but the defensive side of his game is very poor. Both those goals he was a part of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts