Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't watch the game so I don't really know, but the stats also say this was RT's best match of the season... maybe he actually wasn't terrible this game?

If you look at the stats/ratings over the season then Bikel comes out ahead.
He was terrible. Absolutely himself, no positive influence on match, was almost as though Gutierez was on an island, doing it all, and was very influential. Guti overlaps, RT just hold the space. But Guti gets back to defend, too, unlike Ali. I did not count one forward pass from RT (I'm sure I missed one), he had one attempted cross. Got deep once. Meanwhile right side was going off, except Jake can't defend to save his life.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Doesn’t list his position, but 7 GS. Attacking MF or striker, @akslop ? There is a lot of footballing knowledge between Sid, Darren, and their dad (I’m assuming he’s still around). If he inherits his dad’s size- as he was as a fit footballer- kid may have a crack.
I believe he is attacking Mid from what I recall. I remember going to his house when he was younger and Sid Built a small pitch in the back yard. Pretty sure the flood lights he installed weren't received well by the neighbors. LOL

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was terrible. Absolutely himself, no positive influence on match, was almost as though Gutierez was on an island, doing it all, and was very influential. Guti overlaps, RT just hold the space. But Guti gets back to defend, too, unlike Ali. I did not count one forward pass from RT (I'm sure I missed one), he had one attempted cross. Got deep once. Meanwhile right side was going off, except Jake can't defend to save his life.

Well Bikel had 0 successful tackles, and 2 fouls committed, so not great defensively.

Offensively he had 1 pass to Caicedo and 0 to Cavallini or Dajome.

A couple of interceptions were really the only positive contributions he made statistically, so I can see why he had a low rating this game.

Of course that doesn't tell the whole story and he is likely providing more impact to the team than the stat lines show.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well Bikel had 0 successful tackles, and 2 fouls committed, so not great defensively.

Offensively he had 1 pass to Caicedo and 0 to Cavallini or Dajome.

A couple of interceptions were really the only positive contributions he made statistically, so I can see why he had a low rating this game.

Of course that doesn't tell the whole story and he is likely providing more impact to the team than the stat lines show.

Just goes to show, the stats still can't capture what they eye test can. I know this, if you go through the middle of the field now, expect to be harangued and kicked and have that guy in your face. It's not an open runway anymore.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
1) Soccer analytics have a long way to go before they're of any real use. If I hear one more announcer refer to the number of "successful dribbles" a player had, the game is going on mute. How is that even measured, and who the fcuk cares? As a coach, if the last man manages a "successful dribble" I'm still irate because he shouldn't be attempting that in the first place.

Bikel is a great example. 0 tackles, but he's not a stopper, he's a 6 or 8. Don't need him to crunch everybody, just need him to be cerebral enough to know where to be to disrupt what they want to do through the middle of the park. Couldn't care less that the avocado toast eating crowd (not you Dezza) doesn't see that in the stats; to Dude's point if you know the game you can see the real time value of positional awareness that analytics doesn't pick up.

Re the Montreal game - they are starting to at least attempt impose their game on the other team. They're less passive in defense, and more assertive about trying to get up the park. I'd much rather watch them try and fail to create in the attacking third than play catch with their own damn keeper for 90 minutes. Pin your ears back and try to squeeze three points out of your opponent - I'll pay to watch that no matter how successful they are...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thoughts from last night:

1) No, MDS, you didn't deserve more from that game. They finished; you didn't. Sort of important.

2) They'll be running on fumes by the end if he keeps rolling out the same 11. Moreover, by engaging in precious little you're sending a message to your bench that you've already decided they aren't good enough, at least when you have your full range of options available. That's not the way you optimize the contributions of your 12th to 18th players.

3) Adnan out, stud CD DP in. Do that, and add the promised #10, and this team is legit.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kind of beginning to appreciate watching this season but afraid to say it...

That Dajome is growing on me.
That jinky wee first touch he showed before he blasted that strike on target was awesome.

1. Agreed.
2. Agreed. But he's feeling he should go with the studs that are playing well I guess. And, I kind of feel there is a drop outside of Teibert after said 11...
3. Not a huge fan of Adnan either, but would like to see maybe what he can do once he's back in this line up.

The goal to win it by that Argentinian guy was well done...
Timely sub by Heath.

Had Nerwinski been given a foot to the right on his volley - Postage stamp.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see we still have the cheapest Russell in the league

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are still a very low budget team. Hopefully the players outperform their salaries. Dajome, Cavallini, Gutierrez and caceido are vastly underpaid.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So fcuking useless - these are the games every season that the club loses me.

RT out is a positive. But then all the other changes and I'm wondering how people in the club can't see those are not good decisions?

WTF is Nerwinski doing out on the pitch? Raposo? Cornelius?

Why do CBs feel the need to launch balls across the field to a man marked so it's a 50/50 in the air after you've worked so hard to win back possession? This isn't just a one-time thing either.

Fcuk Fcuk Fcukity Fcuk.

The Office I Give Up GIF

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did I hear that right? We haven't scored a goal during open play yet this year? All from set pieces.
6 games 540 minutes. Ouch.
Calculate Figure It Out GIF

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
MDS essentially started the same team for all three games in an eight day stretch. Then they wonder why they're a step or ten behind SKC. Amateur hour.

He clearly has no faith in his bench, which is not going to help matters when he's finally forced to play them when the inevitable overuse injuries start to pop up. Some MLS franchises benefit from their academy, some from drafting, and some from shrewd signings.

The Whitecaps pay Russell Teibert $400K USD to pass backwards and Ali Adnan seven figures to not have his visa issues sorted (I blame the team as much as him, for what that's worth). They draft a CPL level talent instead of a clinical striker destined for England at a price of 10 million plus. And their academy... yeah.

They were a distant second best today; if not for Crepeau that could have been 6-0 very easily. They'd better figure it out before they return home to the friendly confines of the initmate atmosphere...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It looked like Sporting were playing with a one man advantage for large portions of the game. Does that come down to coaching tactics or player personnel?..both?

Dajome with a huge miss. He could have squared it to Cava for a tap-in but I don't blame him for having a go.

I don't understand how Veselinovic doesn't track the goal scorer on their first goal. Is it poor defensive awareness or pure laziness? It was a simple 1-2 to defend imo.

I had high hopes for Raposo. It's been a tough go for the kid. He's not at the level imo.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So fcuking useless - these are the games every season that the club loses me.

RT out is a positive. But then all the other changes and I'm wondering how people in the club can't see those are not good decisions?

WTF is Nerwinski doing out on the pitch? Raposo? Cornelius?

Why do CBs feel the need to launch balls across the field to a man marked so it's a 50/50 in the air after you've worked so hard to win back possession? This isn't just a one-time thing either.

Fcuk Fcuk Fcukity Fcuk.

The Office I Give Up GIF
.....yes.

Yesterday I was blessed w/ the Telus connection not working, could not either watch or PVR the match.

Did see the diabolical non-finishes by the strikers / wingers. I mean, this was the type of inability to get it close to the target that you see in U-21, with less experienced players, getting greedy and not being calm in the moments. Terrible.

As for the above three, couldn't agree more. RT, said enough already. Nerwinski: I've been saying he's consistently the worst player on the pitch and easiest attack target for opposition for three years. Consistently the worst. Cornelius simply needs to HTFU. He's supposed to be a stud CB. Big, bit of a mean streak, can play w/ ball at his feet. Rather, he's soft, and if I were a striker lining up against him I'd be drooling at the opportunity to run at him.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To be fair, KC is an excellent club by MLS standards, and they definitely made WFC look amateurish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts