Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
champions league football GIF by BT Sport

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honest question time for the likes of @dezza in particular (you have your finger firmly on the pulse of local men’s game and WFC)….a guy like Theo Bair, if he were to drop into the average VMSL Premier team, would he light it up? Or, what names are out there locally that have been completely ignored that could be better prospects than the likes of Bair?

I really want some honest answers on this….

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Honest question time for the likes of @dezza in particular (you have your finger firmly on the pulse of local men’s game and WFC)….a guy like Theo Bair, if he were to drop into the average VMSL Premier team, would he light it up? Or, what names are out there locally that have been completely ignored that could be better prospects than the likes of Bair?

I really want some honest answers on this….

Yes I think he would light up VMSL prem. As would the kid in the development team right now, Emiliano Brienza, who easily scored a hat-trick in a recent match against Saudi Wannabe Pro Team FC.

With CPL up and running it's hard to say anyone is completely ignored anymore. They picked off the likes of Blasco, Polisis, Waterman, Gardner, Ruby, Adekugbe, Verhoven, etc

So who does that leave? Maybe Farivar Torabi, but he's on the wrong side of 30 already... more ex-pro than prospect.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
As much as we ride Tiebert. I have buddies that grew up playing against him. They said he was unreal, best player on the field always. Put him in the VMSL and I bet he’d be spraying the ball around and everyone would talk about how good he is. VMSL is a massive drop from pro. Sure it’s good soccer but it’s not one step away from MLS. Maybe the top top guys get a sniff in CPL. is that still a league ?

Kevin Harmse is the one player I played against in men’s where I thought i don’t belong on the same field as this fella. He was so fcuking good. He signed with the caps soon after and couldn’t get a sniff. When he did he looked well Off the pace. This was after his LA galaxy stint. Post knee rehab. He ended up in the NASL.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both fair comments, thanks.

As for the CPL comment, for sure I see it plays a role. As @dezza said, they are already picking off the best players….and that’s good.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a matter of different eras and opportunities to be a "pro" I think.

In the 80s, the powerhouse teams in the VMSL/PCSL/VISL were stacked with NASL Pros.

In the 90s, teams were stacked with players who played in the CSL during the Summer and/or young players who were springboarding to "greater" things. Some also had stints with the indoor pro leagues.

In the 2000s, kinda the same but you could sense a shift from the previous decades... no idea what it was like after that as I haven't seen more than a handful of local open league games since around 2004 :)

The one thing I have heard is that games are FAST, 100 miles-per-hour and players are very skillful, much more-so than in our day. This was relayed to me by Reedie once or twice but he was always a lazy-assed striker so that may or may not be true :)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On another note, Bair has been loaned out to some outfit in 2nd div Norway.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
On another note, Bair has been loaned out to some outfit in 2nd div Norway.
The Whitecaps handling of Bair is baffling.

He's played 26 minutes this season. That's it. Clearly MDS has 0 trust in him, so why wait until now to loan him?

I can't imagine 2nd tier Norway is better than CPL. So for a guy who desperately needs to play minutes and improve his game, it's pretty stupid to send him to a foreign country where he has to worry about a lot of other factors besides playing football.

I read somewhere that CPL rosters have a 23 player limit, so maybe all the teams are full and didn't have room for Bair. Fair enough, however, TFC managed to loan a couple guys to CPL this season, and Montreal have something like 5 loanees in the league. I think originally whitecaps wanted a reserve team in the league, but got rebuked because the CPL brass doesn't want to be seen as a reserve league. It seems since then the Caps have been resistant to working with the CPL teams. I am not really certain how frosty the relationship is, but it sure seems like a lot of missed opportunity.

On the bright side, the striker they drafted out of college, Egbo, is starting regularly on loan at Phoenix in USL and from all accounts is contributing well. Maybe there's hope the Caps don't fcuk up his career too...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Facchineri becomes the sixth Whitecaps FC player on loan, joining Jasser Khmiri (San Antonio FC) and David Egbo (Phoenix Rising FC) in the USL Championship, with Damiano Pecile (Venezia FC), Derek Cornelius (Panetolikos FC), and Theo Bair (Hamarkameratene) at European sides.

I wonder how Pecile is going to do for minutes (if he gets any) as I think SKC just sold US International Busio to the same outfit?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On another note, looked up tickets for next weekend and cheapest tickets are $45?

Seems a bit steep, no?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
"creating the market" - or that's what they said a few years ago when asked about opening up the upper bowl with cheap tickets to get families in... just came off as snobbish and out of touch, frankly...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Whitecaps handling of Bair is baffling.

He's played 26 minutes this season. That's it. Clearly MDS has 0 trust in him, so why wait until now to loan him?

I can't imagine 2nd tier Norway is better than CPL. So for a guy who desperately needs to play minutes and improve his game, it's pretty stupid to send him to a foreign country where he has to worry about a lot of other factors besides playing football.

I read somewhere that CPL rosters have a 23 player limit, so maybe all the teams are full and didn't have room for Bair. Fair enough, however, TFC managed to loan a couple guys to CPL this season, and Montreal have something like 5 loanees in the league. I think originally whitecaps wanted a reserve team in the league, but got rebuked because the CPL brass doesn't want to be seen as a reserve league. It seems since then the Caps have been resistant to working with the CPL teams. I am not really certain how frosty the relationship is, but it sure seems like a lot of missed opportunity.

On the bright side, the striker they drafted out of college, Egbo, is starting regularly on loan at Phoenix in USL and from all accounts is contributing well. Maybe there's hope the Caps don't fcuk up his career too...
Seems they are grasping at straws with most loans. Again, not having their own squad kills...the case can be made time and time again as to why it's needed. Being able to control the environment, and the process. On loan, it's left to the wind.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a matter of different eras and opportunities to be a "pro" I think.

In the 80s, the powerhouse teams in the VMSL/PCSL/VISL were stacked with NASL Pros.

In the 90s, teams were stacked with players who played in the CSL during the Summer and/or young players who were springboarding to "greater" things. Some also had stints with the indoor pro leagues.

In the 2000s, kinda the same but you could sense a shift from the previous decades... no idea what it was like after that as I haven't seen more than a handful of local open league games since around 2004 :)

The one thing I have heard is that games are FAST, 100 miles-per-hour and players are very skillful, much more-so than in our day. This was relayed to me by Reedie once or twice but he was always a lazy-assed striker so that may or may not be true :)
Yup.

The word you are looking for is relevance. The local leagues have just become irrelevant in the grand scheme, more retirement leagues, or leagues where the players know the professional shot has passed them by. I see it as a total waste in resources. All of the talk in establishing a Tier III league to serve as a stepping stone, it would seem to me the local leagues would have been perfect as an amalgamation, because you want the players playing in a hardened environment. But....it is what it is, and the FVSL is doing their thing that is....well, let's just say different. Perhaps it's in line w/ the Tier III plans w/ BCSA, I just don't know. Some may say it's the way forward, TBD I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0