Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Tokyo Olympics

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New shoes, a book, and first in line for Vaxx.

I got a treadmill.

Who has a shittier job?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This whole Simone Biles thing is a bit much for me. Now she’s some sort of hero and inspiration for not performing? Mental health struggles run thru my family, I have no issue with her not performing if it’s a safety concern or whatever . However I have a hard time with this narrative. This is why she’s such an inspiration? I’d be more inspired if she was strong enough to come perform quite frankly. Sports and massive self doubt go hand and hand. Quitting isn’t inspiring to me. Move on from the story and make it about the other athletes.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This whole Simone Biles thing is a bit much for me. Now she’s some sort of hero and inspiration for not performing? Mental health struggles run thru my family, I have no issue with her not performing if it’s a safety concern or whatever . However I have a hard time with this narrative. This is why she’s such an inspiration? I’d be more inspired if she was strong enough to come perform quite frankly. Sports and massive self doubt go hand and hand. Quitting isn’t inspiring to me. Move on from the story and make it about the other athletes.
Yes....my tune is changing, too. My original stance was, "we don't know". Well, now that she and her teammates have made this the hill they will die on, and she's not injured to the point of having to make those tough decisions, yeah....part of being an elite athlete is performing in stressfull situations.

I'm wondering how many underlying issues there are here, though. Gymnastics has always been known as a brutal sport for children. I've at points called it borderline child abuse. Some of the shite that's come out in recent years of actual sexual abuse is appalling. Not talking about pushing kids too hard and beyond reasonable human limits here, but criminal sexual conduct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Gymnastics_sex_abuse_scandal This Larry Nasser sounds like a real piece of work. "Nassar pleaded guilty to seven counts of criminal sexual conduct charges with a minimum sentence of 25 to 40 years in prison"

So, let me summarize my complicated thoughts as so:
1. Love watching gymnastics, I see what these athletes do, and it's superhuman.
2. Still feel the limits they push on kids- especially girls- is borderline child abuse. Have never considered putting my kids in this for good reason.
3. Real injuries to real body parts are legitimate reasons for pulling athletes from one event or another. Sometimes we don't know the extent of the injury.
4. Pulling out for "Mental Health" reasons alone, to me, doesn't jive. Even Tanya Harding skated when her world came crashing down around her (yes, mostly her own doing).
5. Is there something else here? Other underlying reasons we have yet to learn about? Or, is this some form of a big-ass middle finger to USA Gymnastics from these athletes?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Look I'm on board with the whole "mental health is real" aspect. And sure, athletes need to be comfortable stepping aside and saying I am not in a place to compete right now.

But ya, the "hero" thing doesn't play with me either. Like if she had twisted he ankle and couldn't go, everyone would be disappointed but understand. That doesn't make her a hero for not performing and talking about the importance of good ankle strength...

For me it's the same thing. It's disappointing that Biles (or other athletes) are not able to compete due to a mental health "injury". Hopefully they can recover and get back out there. No need to put them on a pedestal for sitting it out (or to crucify them for being "soft"). It's an "injury", move on.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
After the sexual abuse simon biles suffered at the hands of u.s. gymnastics doctor, larry nasser, she has plenty reason to withdraw from the team event which brings glory to u.s. gymnastics.
Nasser abused biles when she was young and she could not fight back. We need to cut her lots of slack, and not criticize her.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
After the sexual abuse simon biles suffered at the hands of u.s. gymnastics doctor, larry nasser, she has plenty reason to withdraw from the team event which brings glory to u.s. gymnastics.
Nasser abused biles when she was young and she could not fight back. We need to cut her lots of slack, and not criticize her.
that would be true if you believe her claims - whatever they happen to be today. they've been a moving target, and as dezza rightly points out, some of them (performance anxiety) don't really jive with others (where are my damn fans?).

this is an athlete who is perfectly happy to attend and soak in the adulation of the world when things go well. the second something doesn't go according to hoyle she's out the door, teammates be damned, with a laundry list of excuses.

then, a worrying percentage of our society comes along and says she's a bloody hero.

no. a hero sucks it up and puts others in front of themselves. i think hero is a stretch in this context anyway BUT if you were to go there Kerri Strug sticking a perfect landing on a busted ankle - at risk of permanent damage to her health and career - would be much closer to the mark.

The fact that all this mental health stuff comes out for the first time her performance doesn't come up aces yields an irresistible inference for me and I have no compunction whatsoever at labelling her a fraud.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
that would be true if you believe her claims - whatever they happen to be today. …….

The fact that all this mental health stuff comes out for the first time her performance doesn't come up aces yields an irresistible inference for me and I have no compunction whatsoever at labelling her a fraud.
This is where you need to shut it. fcuk me, no wonder people can't stand lawyers. Maybe take that hat off once in a while, doesn't do anything for you.

She was a CHILD, FFS. Do your kids tell you everything personal or traumatizing happening in their lives? If they do, you are a unicorn.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hear you Dude. We don’t have the right to say if she was or wasn’t. Lots of these girls went thru Trauma. Nassar and many other are sick fcuks. It’s hard to speak in the current culture. I don’t want to criticize her but I must say I have my doubts. Not about the abuse, but whether this became an athlete afraid to lose when the wheels fell off. I want to say it’s much more then that but she’s been the best, called the best ever. Dominated leading up to this. Hard when the moment comes that maybe she loses, she steps aside. I can’t help but question, even just a little. No hatred on her, none whatsoever. But to call her stronger for not performing. Not for me.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is where you need to shut it. fcuk me, no wonder people can't stand lawyers. Maybe take that hat off once in a while, doesn't do anything for you.

She was a CHILD, FFS. Do your kids tell you everything personal or traumatizing happening in their lives? If they do, you are a unicorn.
no, this is where automatically focusing on the merits rather than the emotion comes in handy.

First it was "I'm injured". Then it was "I had performance anxiety". Then it became "I needed the fans" (note: it's impossible for it to be both "everyone is watching me" and "no one is watching me"). Most recently, it's "I have vertigo" - something that conveniently can't really be challenged and if true would be a complete answer to pulling the pin on further competition.

I'm well aware of the despicable crimes she was a victim of. She's competed plenty since, and with great success - she may very well be the GOAT despite all of this. But again, only after her first less than optimal performance did the issues with competing start coming out.

I won't apologize for disbelieving someone who can't keep their story straight, and I won't apologize for someone who trots out the trauma / anxiety card after bad performances but not good ones.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no, this is where automatically focusing on the merits rather than the emotion comes in handy.

First it was "I'm injured". Then it was "I had performance anxiety". Then it became "I needed the fans" (note: it's impossible for it to be both "everyone is watching me" and "no one is watching me"). Most recently, it's "I have vertigo" - something that conveniently can't really be challenged and if true would be a complete answer to pulling the pin on further competition.

I'm well aware of the despicable crimes she was a victim of. She's competed plenty since, and with great success - she may very well be the GOAT despite all of this. But again, only after her first less than optimal performance did the issues with competing start coming out.

I won't apologize for disbelieving someone who can't keep their story straight, and I won't apologize for someone who trots out the trauma / anxiety card after bad performances but not good ones.
Yeah, I had to take a TTP break yesterday.

Comments like “that would be true if you believe her claims - whatever they happen to be today. …….” have to come to a hard stop. When we are talking about children and young adults having the guts to step outside their circle of authority and make a claim, that shite can’t be handled so flippantly. That was your comment. Are you now saying you only meant it for this isolated incident? Because sure as fcuk you wrote it in response to PV’s post, which was 100% focused on the abuse she suffered as a child. So, to now claim you were intending for that comment to only be directed at the current situation rings very fcuking hollow.

Me, I’m doing my best to look at this issue in it’s own isolation…but that is almost impossible now.

Firstly, the abuse by Nasser happened to CHILDREN, and it was widespread. When we start off with the stance of “that would be true if you believe her claims - whatever they happen to be today”, what we are saying is that, no matter what trauma a child went through in the past, at the hands of an adult who has power over them, that if they speak out even years after said trauma, there is still a significant number of our population that will attack them and say things like, “that would be true if you believe her claims.” Powerful men, and women, that have legal and public persuasive influence, essentially making it clear to children and young adults, victims of abuse, that there will always be people like you who’s first response is, you need to prove this to me in order to have a meaningful discussion. That, instead of saying something like, “we need to get to the bottom of this, and we need to make it living hell for an abuser to carry on living if they chose this path and are caught and proven guilty. It absolutely sucks that our legal system is so bent in favor of sexual abusers and pedophiles to get away with the things they do. I get it, “Innocent till proven guilty”, but I’m talking about the attitude. And yeah, maybe I am a bit passionate about this, but seriously man, it’s now the second time I can remember you taking a similar stance, and I can’t just get over that. So, yes, this is why people fcuking hate lawyers. I’m sure you are genuinely a great guy. One day, we’ll maybe have a beer and have a laugh discussing some football. Maybe, maybe not. Your profession makes it safe for these fcuks to exist. Your intelligence, your professional status, your abilities gives people like you power over the innocent. Sure, defense lawyers are necessary evil, many people are wrongfully charged and need defense to prove innocence. I just hate the attitude. “that would be true if you believe her claims”. Still winding me up a day later. Anyways, guys like Nasser should all be strung up and stoned once your lot is through proving their guilt.

You don’t think you need to apologize for that comment? In the context you made it, you god damn fcuking should.

Back to this sport, the amount of times you hear about these very young athletes, many still children competing at the Olympic level, performing through horrific injuries is…well….horrific. The pressure in gymnastics to perform injured is on a different level. In our sport, we now protect our players from damage. Players now get hurt, and the club is more inclined to protect the player, rehab properly due to the long term investment cost. Concussions are not fcuked with. Gymnastics? Smelling salts and then get out on those uneven bars, we have a competition to complete. This sport is absolutely fcuked that way, and it’s been that way forever. This is a problem as old as athletics. Love watching it, it’s amazing, but I’ll never, ever put my daughter in that sport….and this is a kid who is already skiing at breakneck speeds on runs that would send a chill down most skiers spines, at 6 years old. I will never put her in gymnastics.

Who the hell knows if Biles was injured or not. I have no idea. I do prefer athletes find a way to push aside the demons and compete, though. I do fall on that side of the ledger. I was saddened by our girl- Ellie Black- who had to withdraw from the same competition due to an ankle injury. It was 100% clear she was gutted at not being able to compete. Biles steps out, and apparently Black was already a contender for podium. This would have been a great boost, taking the sure winner out of the equation. Also, let me be 100% clear…if this is only about her mental status, I’d be on the side of “Stronger BY Competing, not stronger for not”. If I can be any clearer on that, tell me now. I’m not on board calling Biles a Hero for not competing. That said, she was already the GOAT to me, not sure this diminishes it. She’s so bloody decorated and proven already, so….whatever.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On a happier note....

We are old friends w/ the Mechielsens, and Drew finished in 8th yesterday in the BMX Women's finals.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1927...HGuw88HMuuA3JOPuxoqHyANn8syGJvn6uf6iVlknxzn2Q

To put how unlikely this is in context, Canada has almost zero support for BMX racing and development.

I first met the Mechielsens when my son was 7 years old and just started racing BMX at Langley BMX. Gonna say that was 15 years ago. Back then, Drew was maybe 9, and her and her brother were ALWAYS at the track. Drew's dad Marcel was super involved in facilitating their love for the sport, but actually knew nothing about racing BMX. Sandy was a club executive and did everything from the business end, chasing grants, to selling concession. just one of those families.

Yesterday I had my 6 year old daughter out at Pemberton BMX, racing. We sat in the shade w/ about 10 kids gathered around my iPad watching the semis. Watching Drew pick her way through to gain enough points to qualify for the finals.

Pemberton is a relatively new track, maybe 10 years old now. They since produced TWO world cup DH racers. It's a center of town activity, seems every kid races BMX now before getting strong enough for mountain. That track came to be BECAUSE of Sandy's hard work, advocating, and eventual donation from Langley (and other surrounding tracks, which she spearheaded) to help it start-up.

It was a very surreal moment. My daughter LOVES racing her bike, loves racing, period. Bikes, skiing. She's been glued to the TV watching the Olympics. Watching Drew just get into the final was huge, against all these Nations that support BMX to the tune of Millions...Austrailia, France, Netherlands, UK, Columbia...all these nations put huge $$$ into the sport because it's a breeding ground for cyclists who transition to road or track. Not Canada, can't see the forest through the trees. I bet Sandy and Marcel have invested 1/2 a million $ into Drew.

Very proud of this young lady.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0