Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Ride to Survive. Sort of.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hello All.

It is I, long time TTPer TheRob! I've come to poach Dude's fundraising base!!

As you know, Dude has done many feats of super human athleticism. I have done one. Two years ago, along with Dude and Mini Dude, I rode the Ride to Survive in honor of my Mom and many others that have fallen to cancer. Last year, due to Covid, R2S was cancelled. I wasn't planning on riding R2S but wanted to contribute, so I rode a 60k endurance Mountain Bike event in Merritt as a substitute to raise money for the cause. This year R2S is again cancelled. I'm upping the ante!! I'm riding in the 120k Merritt Crown endurance event. 120 kms. 3000 meters of elevation. Only 12 hours to complete it. in my opinion this is a more difficult event than the actual R2S. Again this year I'm asking for donations for the Canadian Cancer Society through Ride to Survive. If this is something you think you'd like to donate to, please follow the link. Any little bit helps, and 100% of your donation goes to research! I'm hoping to raise upwards of $1500.

There is a chance that Dude will actually be joining me on this epic shred. He can update his status here.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope you've all been well during this strange strange time.

Cheers,
Rob G.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice!

it probably is more challenging, in many ways. Being self supported in itself will be challenging. Are there McDonalds en route? Not likely, eh?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm hoping for a McDs that is 2500' feet above in the bush somewhere.....

Now that I'm on my desktop, I'll expand...

I will agree, I think this challenge is physically tougher. R2S was tough, but being on the road, and a controlled, moderate pace, the toughest part was actually the long time; being in a saddle 18-20 hours when, realistically, with a team of 10 fast studs we could probably knock it out in 12-14. IN the end, R2S was extremely mentally fatiguing, and if you had wear and tear issues, asking your body not to break down over that long a time is a tough ask. Most people don't complete the whole thing; it's like water torture.

The challenge w/ TheRob's is the terrain; mountain is simply tougher. Steeper climbs, and you are on your own. No team to rotate with in a pack and share the work, the draft. He (we, if I join him), will have to be completely self supported. With R2S, they had support down to a finely oiled machine. A few food trucks went ahead, an army of volunteers would set up a stop, we'd dismount off our bikes, a volunteer would refill bottles with water or electrolytes, depending on a color code on bottles, there was a trailer with 12 porta potties, ambulance, sag bus, RV....if things went sideways, there were paramedics and support to take care of you. We never had to stop, but to eat, pee, and poo.

TheRob will have none of this. He'll have to find water along the route, filter it, and carry a lot of dehydrated food.

So...yeah, sounds pretty awesome. I'm strongly considering joining, because I kind of get off on this kind of Type A fun.

The cause is worthy. Personally, I've moved my focus onto other things, but it's still close to (and always will be) Rob's heart, so it's important to me. At the very least I'll be donating, but yeah, hope to ride too.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm hoping for a McDs that is 2500' feet above in the bush somewhere.....

Now that I'm on my desktop, I'll expand...

I will agree, I think this challenge is physically tougher. R2S was tough, but being on the road, and a controlled, moderate pace, the toughest part was actually the long time; being in a saddle 18-20 hours when, realistically, with a team of 10 fast studs we could probably knock it out in 12-14. IN the end, R2S was extremely mentally fatiguing, and if you had wear and tear issues, asking your body not to break down over that long a time is a tough ask. Most people don't complete the whole thing; it's like water torture.

The challenge w/ TheRob's is the terrain; mountain is simply tougher. Steeper climbs, and you are on your own. No team to rotate with in a pack and share the work, the draft. He (we, if I join him), will have to be completely self supported. With R2S, they had support down to a finely oiled machine. A few food trucks went ahead, an army of volunteers would set up a stop, we'd dismount off our bikes, a volunteer would refill bottles with water or electrolytes, depending on a color code on bottles, there was a trailer with 12 porta potties, ambulance, sag bus, RV....if things went sideways, there were paramedics and support to take care of you. We never had to stop, but to eat, pee, and poo.

TheRob will have none of this. He'll have to find water along the route, filter it, and carry a lot of dehydrated food.

So...yeah, sounds pretty awesome. I'm strongly considering joining, because I kind of get off on this kind of Type A fun.

The cause is worthy. Personally, I've moved my focus onto other things, but it's still close to (and always will be) Rob's heart, so it's important to me. At the very least I'll be donating, but yeah, hope to ride too.
Food wise I think I’ll likely slay a deer early on, skin it, and make jerky for the rest of day.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts