Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Gold Cup

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Twatter reporting both Larin and Akinola are out for the Cup...Akinola looking like an ACL injury to end his season. Sucks big time.

So, I guess that means we have two players we can call up...what's David's status? Was he just given the tourney off as a rest prior to his season?

Who else? Tesho Akindele?

All of a sudden our options become pretty skint....and really, quite bummed about Akinola. If this is a long term injury, he's fcuked for qualifying, and I was really looking forward to seeing him do his bull-in-China-shop routine in the Ocho.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So...what are your guys' opinions on how to deploy an attack?

I'm going to assume Johnathan David is a non option....so what does that leave us? As I see it, it's only Cavalini, and I'm starting to lose my faith in him. Maybe as a guy you bring in at 60-80 minutes, but not to start. I think you need someone up front, or a pair up front, that will soften up the back-line. Cava seems to be a good option late in a match, as he is a handful, but at the same time he's too quiet for me.

-Change in formation to a 4-4-2? Stick w/ the three up formation w/ one lone target man?
-Tajon Buchanan & Junior Hoilett as a pair up front in 4-4-2?
-Call-ups: now time to call Arfield?

Looking forward to this, I still think Canada has a great chance to go through, especially w/ Eustáquio coming back in, and however they deploy him.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty sure you can't "call up" players to a tournament - they need to be on the submitted list before the tournament starts, no?

Cava and Junior up front with Reed & Thomo.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
True, CONCACAF has changed the rules to allow for replacement players ahead of the QFs. Sounds like it is supposed to help the teams who have lost players due to Covid, but you would think that Larin and Akinola being out for the tournament would meet the requirements. That said, David was given the tournament off for pre-season with Lille and Arfield had an "injury that he needed to recover from" that kept him out. Can't see them changing those stances now.

I think maybe Akindele gets a chance to make up the numbers or maybe one of the younger guys from the U23 team that took a swing at Olympic qualifying (Jaden Nelson or Tristan Borges?), but I don't expect anyone they bring in to step into the lineup.

I would guess they stick with the 3-5-2 they've been using and it's Hoilett and Cavalini up top.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
world cup ringer fc GIF by The Ringer

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk that. Play the same way, even if the personnel changes. I'd rather see that than parking the bus and hoping for the best. Canada is finally becoming a team to be feared instead of swatted away. When the key guys aren't available, it's next up, and next up to me are Tajon Buchanan & Junior Hoilett. One guy is having a bit of a coming out party, the other guy looking to re-establish himself and land a new gig.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bringing in Tesco seems like a good decision to me as he adds some depth to the striker role and has been in good form I believe this season. Would most likely be used as a sub.

Perhaps a 4 3 3 like they always play with hoilett and Tajon on the outside and cavallini in the middle?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bringing in Tesco seems like a good decision to me as he adds some depth to the striker role and has been in good form I believe this season. Would most likely be used as a sub.

Perhaps a 4 3 3 like they always play with hoilett and Tajon on the outside and cavallini in the middle?
Seems to be the direction they are going. My faith in Cava has taken a hit. I've always felt that w/ good service through the middle, and dynamic wings, he should be more effective as a finisher, but that hasn't materialized. I don't really count the minnows of CONCACAF. Now, I know at WFC, we lack that middle man that can drive an attack, but if we are being honest, the wingers (Dajome / Dahome ;), and whatshisname, the other Columbian....I say that because I forgot his name, and Whitecapsfc.com is down, LOL) are doing an adequate job driving an attack that keeps the opposing team on the back foot. Even though there is no central pivot driving the squad forward from midfield, I feel Cava should have been able to do more with what he has.

I suspect Tesco will actually be called in, and have a bigger role to play. I also suspect the Gold Cup success will hinge on Eustáquio; he's been great, but he'll need to be better now, and push higher up. Cava will have no more excuses, because with Hoilett and TB on the wings, and Eustáquio in the middle, he will have the pieces he needs to play as a finisher. Time to step up.

It'll be interesting.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts