Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Canadian Championship

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
this really is shambolic. they played their top lineup, Pacific missed their top guy, and it's 4-2 until a nothing PK in the 98th minute... MDS says it was tough to match their energy and intensity... great, there's the door - that's on you, gaffer...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So....seriously, how is it WFC can’t find domestic tallent in this whole fcuking country better than Jake or Rose?

Seriously?

Jake....consistently worst player on the pitch.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Am I the only one that's on a pretty big high this morning?

I don't think it's normal to be actually happy that the club you support has taken such an embarrassing humping, but I can't put this down to anything else. I mean, TWO of my most reliable coffee girls are leaving the Alpine Cafe today. Two! Not good news! So it has to be the match result, right?

I have been pretty vocal over the years about Whitecaps FC, and my displeasure about their direction. Well, they actually don't seem to have one right now. They make moves, but what's the actual plan?

Main issue w/ me from over the years has been that I feel we have too many players that are simply average, but we've brought these players in from all over the world, and I just don't believe Domestic talent can't be mined for certain positions. Going through WFC roster, here would be my immediate targets to move out in the offseason while looking to interchange / upgrade with Canadians (some may have since been loaned out):

• Egbo. I realize that we haven't seen enough at MLS, and he's doing well in USL, but this is exactly one of those positions and level of player where I can't understand why they would not try and move this asset to a US squad, and use the money elsewhere. Meanwhile, why not look at a Bustos level player from CPL, and actually give him a shot? Borges maybe?
  • Gaspar. This guy isn't on a huge ticket, but he's still getting paid $233K. A good CPL RB could be found and likely come in at $100K less.
  • Khmiri. He's an international, on $240K, and currently loaned out. Oh, and he's a fcuking pilon, terrible, and 100% a Canadian CPL CB could be found for 1/2 the price.
  • Nerwinski: frequently the worst player on the field, but maybe some MLS club sees value in this guy since he's a yank. This guy is costing us $240K! I honestly think there are better RBs in the VMSL. Seriously. There are likely guys there that have better footballing IQ, and can actually defend. Jake's only asset was his pace going forward, but that never translated coming back, and now even that attacking pace is no longer there. Legs are already diminishing.
  • Newton: He's a keeper, in case you didn't know. Our 3rd stringer? I assume a yank? $104K to never get a chance. Canada has produced some keepers, why not go grab the best one out of USports and groom him?
  • Owusu: he's on $401K! Seriously! For a guy that can't get on the pitch! I actually like the player, but he hasn't been in favor for a year? More? Somebody tell me there isn't an equivalent box-to-box style midfielder in CPL that could fight for the same minutes at a quarter of the ticket, and not cost you an international spot.
  • Andy Rose: terrible player, on a light ticket at $132K, I'm move him into coaching permanently and reallocate that money to a Canadian CPL CB.
  • Tiebert: $387K. Come on. Yes he's Canadian, but move him along and start developing / playing Habibullah.
  • White: seen enough. Sure, he's somewhat of a poacher and that has value, but trade him for funny money, and find a good CPL target man to take that spot and the a portion of the $216K we're paying this guy.
  • Ranko: He's got some talent, he's the right mold for a CB, but now a couple of years in, I'm not seeing enough to justify a $445K salary. Maybe there is a seasoned Canadian CB out in Europe to lure home w/ that cash? Surely, there must be?
  • Bair: A Canadian, but seen enough. Sell him for what you can get. Find a young Canadian striker to bring into the club and develop.
It just seems to me that money has been very poorly allocated. I just don't understand how a Canadian club can outright ignore the Canadian pool of players on some of these positions. I don't get it.

Am I in the minority here? That's 11 players, literally a starting squad that would struggle to be competitive in CPL or USL. @dezza - your thoughts? Am I out to lunch here? Are my Rose colored shades too Rosey?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
1) You're bang on with the assessment about asset mismanagement and allocation of money. Can't get away with that when you're also the smallest budget in the league

2) If they actually played the guys they developed, it would shine a giant light on the fact that they are completely incompetent at developing young talent through their residency. Sure, some of their guys could probably be fringy - no worse than RT anyway. But Baldisimo is about as good as it gets, and I rate him for MLS as pretty fringy - at this point anyway. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not in their interest to play their own guys unless they're legit, and they don't have any of those kicking around because they're useless at player development.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1) You're bang on with the assessment about asset mismanagement and allocation of money. Can't get away with that when you're also the smallest budget in the league

2) If they actually played the guys they developed, it would shine a giant light on the fact that they are completely incompetent at developing young talent through their residency. Sure, some of their guys could probably be fringy - no worse than RT anyway. But Baldisimo is about as good as it gets, and I rate him for MLS as pretty fringy - at this point anyway. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not in their interest to play their own guys unless they're legit, and they don't have any of those kicking around because they're useless at player development.
100% fair point. I think that's why most of my comments above alluded to acquiring the CPL high performers. A good development program, if you are going to tear up the model and revamp it, is minimum 5 years before you start to see fruits of the labor....but agree, this must occur.

I am going to ask this question again: why do the Caps ignore USport? CPL is showing everyone that it's acceptable for their league, and of course, I give you a sample of our 1st round picks (all of them), and none thus far have impressed. Could Egbo? Maybe? But unless there is a Kyle Larin sitting up there as available....what's the point?

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
100% fair point. I think that's why most of my comments above alluded to acquiring the CPL high performers. A good development program, if you are going to tear up the model and revamp it, is minimum 5 years before you start to see fruits of the labor....but agree, this must occur.

I am going to ask this question again: why do the Caps ignore USport? CPL is showing everyone that it's acceptable for their league, and of course, I give you a sample of our 1st round picks (all of them), and none thus far have impressed. Could Egbo? Maybe? But unless there is a Kyle Larin sitting up there as available....what's the point?
Same thing - Usport guys are all guys the Caps jettisoned and/or didnt sign to homegrown contracts. Go after Usport guys and you've gotta admit you fcuked up. I don't recall them even admitting they got the Jarju DP signing wrong; leopards and spots and all that...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Same thing - Usport guys are all guys the Caps jettisoned and/or didnt sign to homegrown contracts. Go after Usport guys and you've gotta admit you fcuked up. I don't recall them even admitting they got the Jarju DP signing wrong; leopards and spots and all that...

It's not just Jarju

Effy Juarez
Anthony Blondell
Lucas Venuto
Jasser Khmiri
Jon Erice
Leonard Owusu
Jose Aja

Should I go on? There have been a lot of bad signings in their MLS history!!

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's not just Jarju

Effy Juarez
Anthony Blondell
Lucas Venuto
Jasser Khmiri
Jon Erice
Leonard Owusu
Jose Aja

Should I go on? There have been a lot of bad signings in their MLS history!!
Jarju was a DP striker who didn't score a single goal for them. I think that trumps all lol...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts