Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2020 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
A 3rd rounder is an overpay? Really?

You do realize last year in the 3rd round the whitecaps "passed" on picking. That's right they picked nobody when given the choice. So essentially they've got Evan Bush for free.

The only concern I'd have from this move is the fact that his contract appears to run until Dec 2021, so if they can't get rid of him they're stuck with his salary cap hit next season.

What's the strategy behind not even choosing a player in the 3rd round? lol

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's the strategy behind not even choosing a player in the 3rd round? lol

Well since they shuttered WFC2 they really have nowhere to send players to develop who aren't good enough for the MLS team, so what's the point in paying flights and accommodations for an inferior player to come to training camp who they know they won't keep? Better to give that experience to some of their own Academy boys.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why do the Caps suck at developing players and make bad draft picks over the years?

TFC seem like the complete opposite and every year a new player comes out of the woodwork through their system. This guy is player of the week...

With Davies on the left and Laryea on the right the MNT is looking good going forward! Attacking wing backs are in fashion, ask Liverpool. ugh. haha

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scouted?
Trialed?

Well what's his story?

He was an academy player at Sigma, which has been arguably the top private Academy in Canada the last decade. Then he did a couple years University at Akron which is one of the top NCAA teams, then he was drafted by Orlando where he spent a few years before they let his contract expire and TFC picked him up as a free agent after he came to their 2019 preseason camp on trial.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was an academy player at Sigma, which has been arguably the top private Academy in Canada the last decade. Then he did a couple years University at Akron which is one of the top NCAA teams, then he was drafted by Orlando where he spent a few years before they let his contract expire and TFC picked him up as a free agent after he came to their 2019 preseason camp on trial.
As much as I would like a dedicated thread to Laura Miller (yes please), this begs a serious question...

How does a player like that so easily fall through the cracks?

Picked up on a free?

So, quite the road to where he is now. If he was 16 YO now, would he have more options and a straighter line pathway w/ CPL in the mix?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
For Laryea I think the path he followed was just fine...

Academy -> NCAA -> USL/MLS

The problem was when he got his first pro contract, Orlando was an absolute shite show of a franchise (much like our local one) so they never realized what they had with him.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Depends if you consider CPL a legit pro league.

Unfortunately the stats I saw indicated that over 50% of players across the league earn less than $22k

If you can't afford to live on your earnings from playing are you really a professional?

Semi-pro maybe?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Depends if you consider CPL a legit pro league.

Unfortunately the stats I saw indicated that over 50% of players across the league earn less than $22k

If you can't afford to live on your earnings from playing are you really a professional?

Semi-pro maybe?

I think they will be validated by their success on pushing players on; fulfilling their mandate. Yet to be determined, I think. If the financial sides grows, great. It's chicken and egg.

If they sell on a player for $200K, does that money go back into the player development model, attracting a few "higher end" players (think for them that's more like a player finding difficulty getting traction in MLS, or some guys from South America that aren't quite MLS ready but looking for a closer shop window and move out of their region). I think you need to be re-investing in both.

What will the better players in the league get as a sell-on right now? I'd have to think not much more than $200K, but I'm totally guessing.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
didnt realize they had him for 2021 as well... that makes more sense then; they'll probably shitcan Meredith and go with Bush, Crepeau, Hasal...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
didnt realize they had him for 2021 as well... that makes more sense then; they'll probably shitcan Meredith and go with Bush, Crepeau, Hasal...

The problem with that is Bush is on $300k/year o_O

They just tripled their GK Salary budget....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0