Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2020 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Um.... Cavallini, In-Beom, Adnan... those would be your three DP's...

So, in terms of rebuilding the rest of their sorry roster, they're limited to non DP contracts and / or using allocation money to slide DP lite players under the max salary number...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd say any Canadian getting moved onto a professional environment that will give them competitive minutes is a good move. Canadian prospects getting signed to the WFC 1st team is a kiss of death, career wise. That "Development Team" is a joke.

Looks like we drafted a promising young Canadian kid today. RIP, Ryan Raposo.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Indeed... Here's hoping the club can actually be a springboard for Canadian talent for once.

On another Canadian/MLS draft related note Alistair Johnston went 11th to Nashville. For anyone who knows Westside FC or the Johnstons he's the son of Bill Johnston who was part of the National Championship Westside winning teams in the 90s coached by older brothers Doug and Don Johnston. Congrats to the club and family.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here we go again? Change out the staff and still pluck unknowns from South America. Resume regular service. :rolleyes:

Yep, I've become equally jaded.

Rise, wash, repeat. As long as the ownership continues w/ the same penny pinching ways, they handcuff the new management from actually accomplishing anything.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I get the feeling that a lot of these Europeans are drawn here (North America) for the same reasons I'm drawn to Europe; the difference. There is a huge difference when you show up to Vancouver, then travel around, head up the Coast, to the Island. You definitely fall in love. The problem is you need to get to work, and when work starts, you are often training in bitterly cold conditions, always outside (while many a European training facilities now have a secondary covered ground), then the travel kicks in. It's a huge difference, no even close. Just travelling to Seattle represents their longest road trip in the various European leagues, never mind cross country where the conditions totally switch, and the times zones shift.

The sexiness of being in Vancouver wears off damn fast.

Also may explain why some of the South American players get on better here, they are simply used to the tougher going in almost every way. Their travel is long, they do deal with changes in climate / elevation / time zones.

Anyways....

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Preseason starts in a couple of weeks and they haven't really reinforced the team besides the addition of Cavallini. Now we're down a starting central midfielder and haven't replaced Doniel yet. I think they are aiming to replace Cincinnati for last place overall. Lol

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not worried about losing Doniel.

Khmiri is practically like a new signing as he was injured all of last year.

Plus Amer Didic is coming to Whitecaps training camp (standout CPL centre back who is with CanMNT right now)

And Erice was definitely not a starter the last quarter of the season. No point in keeping him on his big salary.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not worried about losing Doniel.

Khmiri is practically like a new signing as he was injured all of last year.

Plus Amer Didic is coming to Whitecaps training camp (standout CPL centre back who is with CanMNT right now)

And Erice was definitely not a starter the last quarter of the season. No point in keeping him on his big salary.

I'm not a huge fan of Doniel but he was arguably the best CB we had. I don't know much about Khmiri. Is it asking too much of Didic if he can't even replace Doniel on the MNT?...once again I don't know much about this player either.

Erice did enough to do a job and you're right, he's not worth the money. I don't care that he's gone but they have to add another player in that position. All of these 'one and dones' are looking quite stupid.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here we go again with David Norman Jr! Throw in a Conor Hildebrand and your threesome is green lit.

LOL, you aren't wrong!

Henry was always a tackle away from a yellow, and / or a blown hammy. I love his heart and aggressiveness, but he didn't have the ability, I think, to play a smarter game that would keep him on his feet more. See Jay Demerit, really about the same style of player. All heart, but the next tackle could be the last. I know nothing about Khmiri. I know more about the local Sasquatch than this guy, as I totally checked out on the team the last 3rd of last year. At least we have seen and heard good things about Didic on the CPL scene, and apparently played a pretty heady match yesterday for Canada? I think?

Either way, this is all still shopping in the bargain bin. I do that when I go to my local bike shop. Oh look, there are a pair of hot pink grips nobody wants, I'd look styling with hot pink grips, I'll buy those for 90% off because nobody wants them.

There are always buyers scouring the bargain bins. Not as many looking at the stuff on the display racks that is not discounted.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm fine with bargain bin backline if it results in significant money spent further up the pitch

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just learned more about Didic. Good story, but you have to wonder if KC cut him loose, was it because he couldn't cut it or never got a fair shake? What I didn't know is MDS did coach him w/ Swoop Rangers, so...maybe there is something there?

Good story, somehow I think that he's already pigeon holed as depth. Likely justified in that, too. He'll have to take a spot in training camp.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6030125/fc-edmonton-amer-didic-canadian-national-soccer-roster/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts