Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2020 BC Provincial Cups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Imagine for a second that this whole COVID-19 mess dies down in a couple of weeks (hahahahaha I know) and BC Soccer took the lead (hahahaha again) and made a couple of proposals... which would you pick and why?

Scenario 1
Play Starts May 1 - They asked if the leagues could decide who gets to represent them (up to the leagues to figure it out) Proper Round of 16. No B Cup prelim rounds. Finals May 23/24 BBY. Play on long weekend as well.

Scenario 2
Play starts May 15 - Same fluff as above but ONLY A Cup so BC can represent at Nationals. It would go into June now.

Also, would there be appetite for an 8 team Provincial Cup. Max 4 teams from one league. How the spots are divided between the league not stated/known yet OR a 4 team Provincial Cup with Max 2 teams from one league

Discuss.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I genuinely think BC Soccer has to find a way to crown a champion, even if that means the Winter Season stretching into June. The only caveat would be if Covid-19 continues right into July/August and Canada Soccer maintains its ban on all sanctioned activity. This would cancel the soccer season in the other jurisdictions as well and likely Nationals as a result.

Assuming the season does resume, I think everything is on the table. Worst case you cancel all cups other than Women's and Men's A and Women's and Men's Classics/Masters A (assuming Classics A also has Westerns...?). Then you run some sort of abbreviated competitions for those titles.

Outside of that I think shortened tournaments would be an option or expedited tournaments with mid-week games for non Island vs. Mainland fixtures.

Realistically, I don't think we gather back to playing before May and you need to give the league's at least a week (two would be ideal...) to finalize their entrants. Agree, play on the long weekend will be necessary.

Side note, the quickest way to get back to playing soccer is if everybody just stays the fcuk at home for the next month or so. Remember we are trying to stop the SPREAD of this virus, not just "keep you from getting it". Just because you feel good and/or are not worried about getting it personally, gatherings of any type just present opportunities for this thing to spread. The longer it takes to contain this thing ultimately just keeps us off the soccer pitch for longer.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over 2,000 dead in Italy last 3 days; total is now over 5,000.
Things are getting worse in GB, Spain, France,...
Our neighbours are still playing political games: each state seems to be playing a different tune.
Hundreds of thousands of people are out of job.
Vaccine may be ready in 12-18 months and that is if this virus does not further mutate.
At this point of time there is no light at the end of a tunnel.

Once all this is over (and no one has a clue when it could be over) people will struggle. Slowly getting back to their jobs, it will take time for economy to stabilize.
I don't think there will be appetite for soccer after all this irrelevant of whether it is back in May or June; there will be more important things to do.

Finally, can anyone really believe this will over any time soon?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with you that this is serious. I think a massive problem is the amount of people still not recognizing that they need to stay home to help prevent this thing from spreading. The pictures being shared of pick up soccer and basketball in the parks and people at beaches etc. is very frustrating. However, I do feel that the tide of public opinion is slowly turning and as more and more people start calling on government to take concrete action to punish people flaunting the restrictions.

Despite the economic hardship that will result from this, I think we will see sports return as soon as feasible. After both world wars sports we picked up as soon as possible and I think it will be similar in this case.

As for a light at the end of the tunnel, people in China are being allowed outside again after two months and the virus seems to have stopped spreading as rapidly. There is cautious optimism there that the worst is over. There is likely a possibility for a relapse/second wave, but I am sure the authorities will be watching it keenly.

Traditional vaccines take roughly 18 months to produce, however, before this even began we had been making great strides in shortening the to market times for vaccines. With all the additional resources now been poured into developing a way to fight this thing, I am confident that window can be shorted significantly. Scientists have already mapped the genome of the virus and various drugs are beginning to be tested.

It is still likely to get worse before it gets better, especially considering how behind the eight ball the US was in taking this seriously. Overall though, I think there is hope. The world has plenty of problems, but we humans are still a resilient bunch and when we all pull together, for a change, we can do great things.

Hopefully this all means that there is a Provincial Cup this season, eventually. As well as a Nationals and a Summer League season. Plus back to regularly scheduled programming in September.

Until then, let's all do our part and practice good social distances...as maddening and as boring and as annoying as it is!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
So far we have zero on topic posts.

A or B or C

Leave the social shaming to twitter idiots.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs,

Today is March 23rd and it looks to me that the worst is yet to come. I certainly hope I am wrong when I say that so assuming I will be wrong let me tell you what I’d do (in regards to your question).

Let’s finish the league and let’s have VMSL Premier League champion representing BC at Nationals. That is, in my opinion, the most realistic thing we can do simply because I don’t see that there will be any time left to complete Provincial Cup. Let’s not forget that after this outbreak is over there will be at least another month when numerous measures will have to be kept in place.

In the case this pandemic does not end in next 2,3 months then take the current standings, divide the number of points with the number of games, get quotients for each team and that way create final standings for each league/division.

If this has to be done it means that Rinos Tigers would be Premier League champions and, logically, as the strongest league in BC, VMSL champion should represent BC at Nationals but that certainly would be BCSA call.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have an all VMSL cup, its call the Imperial. It's BC soccer not Vancouver Soccer, despite the history.

April is a right off, I don't see (all things positive happening) soccer starting at a very minimum until mid to late May. I don't see why the leagues can't play and finish up in June/ July and line up a modified cup to finished after that. I'm speaking to the 'A', but a 8 or 4 team cup seems likely to me early doors. Or a, again modified, Provincial cup to start the season in September and have a month of soccer in...

.... before we send a VMSL team to the Nationals. :knvb:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Could all be a moot point perhaps as BC is the only province in the country anywhere close to being done for their season - every other province in the country hasn't even started their seasons.

Most, if not all of them usually declare their Nationals rep Labour Day weekend I think (1 month before Nationals).

In this scenario, the best thing would to just declare the VMSL league winner both BC AND National champions (we can only go by recent history).

Someone should bring that up with BC Soccer.

:wa:

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every team nominates one of their players to be the team rep and all remaining league/cup + Provincial matches are played as online FIFA matches.

Easy peasy. Provincial champs crowned on schedule.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed, I think it all hinges on what type of season the other Provinces have this year.

If there is going to be a Nationals, then BC surely has to complete some type of tournament that gives the VMSL, FVSL and VISL all a chance.

Again, just like the professional sports leagues which are talking about playing NHL, NBA, EPL, etc. right into the summer, I think BC Soccer is empowered to throw the traditional "end of the Winter Season" out the window and extend into June/July if we are able to be playing again by then.

The Interior can still start their beer league soccer leagues and play them within whatever playing season they are able to accommodate. The only thing that would be affected are Coastal Summer Leagues and tournaments. Tough break for the newly reinvigorated PCSL, but they, along with the various other summer leagues, could either play some type of modified schedule, or just shelf it for the season.

Another impact might be on tournaments like Nations Cup. Again, assuming there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" and we are back playing soccer by then, that tournament and the other like it may need to be postponed or cancelled to allow BC Soccer to prioritize Coastal Winter Season play.

SofaKingGood

Sep 9, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Could all be a moot point perhaps as BC is the only province in the country anywhere close to being done for their season - every other province in the country hasn't even started their seasons.

Most, if not all of them usually declare their Nationals rep Labour Day weekend I think (1 month before Nationals).

In this scenario, the best thing would to just declare the VMSL league winner both BC AND National champions (we can only go by recent history).

Someone should bring that up with BC Soccer.

:wa:
Give the FVSL a turn ?

Ronaldo. 07

Oct 7, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Every team nominates one of their players to be the team rep and all remaining league/cup + Provincial matches are played as online FIFA matches.

Ccb Azad wins nationals hands down I can put money on that one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over 2,000 dead in Italy last 3 days; total is now over 5,000.
Things are getting worse in GB, Spain, France,...
Our neighbours are still playing political games: each state seems to be playing a different tune.
Hundreds of thousands of people are out of job.
Vaccine may be ready in 12-18 months and that is if this virus does not further mutate.
At this point of time there is no light at the end of a tunnel.

Once all this is over (and no one has a clue when it could be over) people will struggle. Slowly getting back to their jobs, it will take time for economy to stabilize.
I don't think there will be appetite for soccer after all this irrelevant of whether it is back in May or June; there will be more important things to do.

Finally, can anyone really believe this will over any time soon?

Regs' post was a pie-in-the-sky type discussion question.

The rest, I tend to take a more medium road approach to this. Above all- and of course after health, which is always first- industry and jobs must be protected and rejuvenated. Yes, may mean a new landscape. Who knows. I do know this: the distraction and mental wellness that sports and activity provides is key to our recovery. So, to answer the question about the appetite, I think there will be a huge appetite to get back to it, even if it is amongst a devastated- but-recovering economic landscape.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

This isn't a terrible idea. Assuming all physical contact is banned through late spring and into summer, hold a camp with invitees from across all three leagues, and pick a team to represent the Province. Can that even be done?

Otherwise, you'd have to pick one team, and logic says you pick the team that finished highest on the table from the consensus top league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts