Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Women World Cup

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure, but if it is not unprecedented it is certainly very rare. I'll give IFAB and FIFA a little bit of credit, they are being proactive after taking a ton of flack on this rule. The absolute shite storm this would kick off if they sent off a goalkeeper for it during the middle of a penalty shootout to decide who advances or wins the World Cup would be unfathomable. I would expect this rule to get a fairly thorough overhaul by next summer (when IFAB/FIFA issue their annual rule changes) at the very latest, if not ahead of the European leagues resuming this fall.

In other news, Canada's loss to Holland confirms what we expected in that they are not an elite team at this tournament. They now play Sweden in the R16 in a game that they can win, but is a pick 'em at best with Sweden probably being slight favourites. A win would almost certainly see them play Germany in the quarters and the end of their tournament, which is the stage they went out at four years ago and likely a fair reflection of their place in the world. Of course anything can happen in knockout football, so you never know with any of the teams from here on out in the tournament!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just want to point out that this keeper (and Calgary Foothills) claimed last summer that she was good enough to play Men's PDL, but the league was stopping her from doing so :rolleyes:

Last edited:

4STGMP

Feb 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sinclair asked Beckie if she wanted it.....a true leader steps up, grabs the ball, says to their teammates “I’ve got this” and then buries the shot. Lost a ton of respect for Sinclair on her lack of stepping up. Brutal

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That would be like Ronaldo asking Diego Jota if he wants to take the penalty for Portugal when they are 1-0 down in an elimination game. There are moments to "pass the torch" and there are moments to get the job done. You are the best player your country has ever produced and the second highest scoring female player of all time, not to mention the captain of your team; take the shot. Tough on Beckie, of course she says she wants the penalty when asked, there is only one answer to that question. It was a decent strike as well, certainly we have seen poorer penalties scored; credit to Sweden's keeper for the save. That's all on Sinclair though IMO.

However, overall, Canada got what it deserved. They were not outclassed by Sweden in this game, but they created no chances despite controlling most of the first half. This team has no offensive identity and that has been laid bare in this tournament, as well as the lead up. They scored 4 goals in 4 games at the World Cup, their final warm up game against Spain finished 0-0 with hardly even a half chance created and they managed to finish third at the Algarve Cup scoring only from the penalty spot. Sinclair used to be an elite, world class striker who could make goals on her own and that, in turn, opened up opportunities for others. Time has taken its toll, as it does with all athletes, and with Sinclair no longer the dynamic threat she once was Canada looks lost going forward.

For me, the big question is where does this program go from here? I think it is clear now that one of the reason's Herdman allegedly was pushing a move to the men's side is that this team has hit a ceiling. They are ranked fifth in the world, though that is likely to fall after this performance. That ranking is also somewhat artificial as this World Cup is showing how much stronger European teams are now in the women's game. Of the eight UEFA sides in the tournament, only Scotland failed to progress to the knockout stage, though they likely should have advanced before their meltdown against Argentina. Five of the seven remaining European teams have reached the quarter finals already, with Italy and Netherlands being favourites to progress tomorrow. If they do, then the US will be the only non-European side left in the tournament.

Canada is likely to continue to qualify for major tournaments and see their world ranking remain in the top 10 because of the relative weakness of the other teams in CONCACAF, outside of the US, and because the European teams will have difficulty climbing the rankings given how often they play each other. Realistically though, ask yourself, how competitive would this team be if it had to qualify out of UEFA regularly? The program needs new life. No disrespect to Kenneth Heiner-Moeller, who I have met on a few occasions, but he does not seem like a man with a vision. When Herdman left Kenneth was promoted and nothing else changed. All the support staff is the same and it is essentially like "Herdman-light". If we were a real footballing nation and genuinely had the expectations that the CSA was trumpeting coming into this tournament to make at least the semi-finals, then this type of underachievement would see heads roll. That not how we do things in Canada though, so I expect Kenneth will be in charge at least through the Olympics next year. Another poor performance there will certainly have to send alarm bells ringing at CSA and, honestly, with what we have seen from this World Cup, I don't think there is reason to expect much better in Tokyo.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Little tough to put it all on Sinclair. Maybe hers gets saved as well. You would think all 20 of the players have the ability to knock it home. Tough on Beckie? fcuk sakes. You sure have a ceiling if you don’t want to be in big moments. She’s 24 not 17. Sinclair has been the “women” for how long? Maybe she felt a moment of doubt herself or maybe thought here is a chance to give the next generation a big chance to be a hero, as she is 36.
Shitty way for it to essentially end for Sinclair clouded in controversy over the PK. Watching the tourney I felt Canada was well off the pace of the top top teams. They were going to need some major luck to get it done. Back to the kitchens ladies. Kidding.....

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sinclair had a pk saved by the same Swedish keeper in the Algarve Cup, so yes definitely some doubt in her mind.

To be honest though, she shouldn't have even been on the field at that point. She's so slow now that she provided absolutely nothing dynamic in Canada's attack. Would have liked to have seen Jayde Riviere who looked full of energy team up with the likes of Huitema when chasing the game, but I guess we'll have to wait until the Olympics next year for that, assuming Canada can snag one of the two berths in the tourney.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beckie was the one who gave the ball away on a terrible pass that two touches later was in the back of the Canadian goal. Shortly after that, her first set piece she put a corner into touch. When she stepped up, her confidence was shattered. This was no time to put someone on that spot in hopes of developing them or helping them get on the score sheet for going forward. Only one person should have taken that spot kick. And that decision should never have been left up to those girls to make themselves.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope I am wrong but I really do not see a bright future for Canadian women's soccer after Sinclair. She has carried CWNT on her back for years and there is simply no one who can replace her.

Other national teams are improving so it will be harder and harder to repeat success from the past.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This sums it up pretty good I think.

Last edited:

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another VAR controversy. The latest was yesterday in the USA game. With USA up 2-1, France looked to get a stonewall penalty with minutes remaining. The ref doesn't spot it but surely VAR should have! USA were gifted a soft pk that VAR spotted vs Spain with the scored tied 1-1. So much favouritism it makes me want to puke.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope I am wrong but I really do not see a bright future for Canadian women's soccer after Sinclair. She has carried CWNT on her back for years and there is simply no one who can replace her.

Other national teams are improving so it will be harder and harder to repeat success from the past.

Woman's football is changing drastically.
North America was always the leader, with USA & Canada being at the forefront.
They were the only Countries taking it seriously & spending money on their programs to develop the game.
Europe now, have started to take the game seriously & with most of the top professional clubs in Europe having Women's teams, along with the well established Men's teams, the progress is significant.
It will only be a matter of time before Europe becomes the leader in the Woman's game & even the USA will be fighting to compete with them.
Canada & USA will drop behind unfortunately, as they don't have the same infrastructure that the Europeans now have.
It's no coincidence that 7 out of the 8 teams in the quarter finals are from Europe.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really dislike the US team but it's a penalty in the VAR age. The challenge was unnecessary and clumsy. Morgan, whom my brain and my dick are at war with(Seinfeld reference), is looking for the contact hoping for a foul. She closes her eyes and the ball hits her on the side of the hip FFS...great technique.(sarcasm)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts