Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Women World Cup

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
So the big competition begins today.

Do we expect Canada to challenge for the title this go around?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nope. They couldn't win the Algarve Cup which is basically a tier 2 competition.

They also haven't beat the USA in 20 years.

I would say quarterfinals is realistic, maybe semifinals if they get some luck.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya they should get out of their group and then it just kind of depends on the draw to see how far they will go.

Irrespective of the indignant attitude of the former CWNT players on the TSN panel, we are no longer a top tier women's footballing nation as the rest of the world has made leaps and bounds to catch up. Particularly in Europe, over the last decade they have been pouring funding into the women's game and their domestic leagues are beginning to flourish. England, France and Germany have all now overtaken us with the Netherlands and Spain coming up quickly. The USA, Japan and Brazil all remain top women's sides, though, interestingly, all seem somewhat beatable these days with aging cores, again emphasizing just how much the gap has closed. Australia is another country that will be looking to turn heads at this tournament as it has really grown as well and New Zealand should not be taken overly lightly as they now at a similar level to Canada.

Could Canada win this tournament? Yes, it is possible. For a comparable though it would be akin to I would say a Uruguay or a Chile or a Belgium winning the men's tournament. Certainly they have some talent and you expect them to reach the knockout stage, but for them to win it all they are going to need just about everything possible to go right for them. Worth keeping an eye on though, at least until the Gold Cup starts anyway!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
Almost forgot, a certain TTPer's daughter is on the CWNT - it is the year of the pork chop.

Clearly.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
A fairly pedestrian start for Canada beating Camaroon 1-0. Sinclair was essentially marked out of the game and the Canadians struggled to find other options in attack. Fortunately nobody in the group looks to be in top form as the Netherlands needed a last gasp winner over New Zealand to get all three points.

In other news the US bent Thailand over to the tune of 13-0 and duly celebrated just about every goal as if it was an injury time winner. Lots of people in the media and Twitterverse calling foul on that, saying it was classless. Decent topic for debate. This is a competitive tournament and there is certainly no mercy rule or anything of the sort. That being said, surely at some point once you are up by 8+ when you score it should just be maybe a little fist pump or quiet high-five as you jog back to centre, no?

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed, even if at some point the US might need 13 goals to get through their stage :rolleyes: , i’ll give them the score run up, and it was a run up.
But celebrating every goal the way they did is completely unnecessary, and shows no sportsmanship.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was talking about this with folks at work while it happened, and coincidentally Germany's MNT were stuffing Estonia to a tune of 8-0 and providing the perfect juxtaposition to the USWNT.

Obviously the Germany/Estonia match was not a World Cup match so the stakes were lower, but it still got me thinking about why there was such a difference in the behaviour on display. One thing I've realized is that if a men's team celebrated like that while humiliating an opponent there's a pretty good chance that someone from the losing team is going to get pissed off and two-foot one of the over-celebrators the next chance they get.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have no problem with 13-0 score but the celebration after each goal by the classless players, coach, assistant coaches, and fans was too much to stomach. Disgusting!

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The States are the bullys and now even more people will tune in to hopefully see them lose!

Unfortunately there are a lot of kids out there idolizing these assholes.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Admittedly I’ve watched Canada’s first two games. I’m not convinced Sinclair is a 90min player anymore. She’s still very intelligent and there is a good chance she will score a big goal or two along the way. However athletically she leaves a lot to be desired. I’d like to see Jordyn Heitima get 20-30min.

Sinclair plays a lot of negative balls, rarely turns and threatens. Still retains possession well. However it would be nice to see how they looked with the young legs out there.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Admittedly I’ve watched Canada’s first two games. I’m not convinced Sinclair is a 90min player anymore. She’s still very intelligent and there is a good chance she will score a big goal or two along the way. However athletically she leaves a lot to be desired. I’d like to see Jordyn Heitima get 20-30min.

Sinclair plays a lot of negative balls, rarely turns and threatens. Still retains possession well. However it would be nice to see how they looked with the young legs out there.

She had some terrible touches yesterday, and can’t get past Defense like she used to.
I actually thought there were a few times they could have pressed forward but went backwards instead with the ball and let the Defense reset.

Great they had 80% of the possession but if you are causing Defense problems does it matter? Having said that they scored 2 goals for the first time in a game for a long while.

They do look better and more confident and controlled with the ball than in the past that’s for sure

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Yoda. We play such a safe brand and that’s obviosuly a part of the plan. However for me when we get it out to those wings they need to attack. Instead they slow, feint but then the supporting defender is now in there when they do want to go. Isolation in the final third you have to start running at them, test them itleast. Back around they go outside of Beckie. Also would like to see them skip a player or two sometimes, hit that 30 yard pass instead of 10-10-10.

I know New Zealand was set up to frustrate but there were opportunities to create more. Found it odd Beckie didn’t get much credit. Yah her crossing wasn’t on point but she is the one that creates, unbalances. Drives past a player and forces another defender to leave her position. For me she may be the most important player if we want to go anywhere.

Our backline is solid obviously. Positive so far but I’d like to see some more freedom and chances being created. The right winger switching with the left winger isn’t being dynamic and interchanging. The ex national team broadcast leaves a bit to be desired.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty much in lock step with @bulljive on this. I am stunned that Sinclair has played 180 mins so far. I get that she is the heart and soul leader of this team, but she has drifted out of games, particularly late, and is seemingly showing her age. Yes, you would still bet on her to deliver a crucial goal or two for Canada along the way and she is likely hard done by not to have a goal already, but for a team that is really focused on trying to make some sort of longer run in this tournament you would think that they would want to try to afford her some rest, particularly how much they have talked up their "depth" coming into this World Cup.

Also agree re the broadcast team. I don't mind Rustad but Kyle and Matheson are essentially just cheerleaders. Not sure they could say anything negative or critical about Canada if their lives depended on it. I am also not sure they have much to offer in terms of insight into the other nations or just footballing in general. I am all for the ladies getting to analyze their own competition, but surely TSN could have found a female journalist with some actual soccer insight somewhere??

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would they schedule games at the same time. Do they not want everyone to be able to watch all the games real-time?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would they schedule games at the same time. Do they not want everyone to be able to watch all the games real-time?
Final group matches at the WC are always scheduled to coincide ever since 1982, aka the "Disgrace of Gijon", when Austria and West Germany knew a draw would see them both advance so they basically just agreed to pass the ball around for 90 minutes.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ahhhhhhh right!!!!! fcuking Germans ruin everything.
I should really pay more attention

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts