Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PVR'd it. Third touch of the game was a long ball towards Montero. Turned it off and checked the TSN App. Wasn't surprise.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
New coach - same results.

Is the new style of play so exciting?
That game was one of the most boring games I have watched in years.

Our front 3 were shocking. Montero did nothing.
Who is exciting to watch on this squad? He seriously going to play Montero in a lone striker position? We had ZERO presence up top. Nothing. Did we create a good chance even?
Reyna was quiet and had a couple drives forward that their right back ate up. We had nothing. Zero going forward.

I rather go watch TSS Rovers at Swanguard or make a day trip to watch Pacific FC a couple times then spend money at a caps game. They have lost me.

I have zero connection to this current caps squad. I think last years team was better from what I saw so far this season.

Yes a whole new squad will take time to gel. But with the 145lb strike force we have. I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not to mention zero pressure on the ball. We let teams walk around and pass the ball around and don’t press anyone. Teams do it to us and we panic.
We did it in the first 5 of the half and they kicked it off the sidelines, then nothing.

The most exciting and best chances we had were when Ardaiz went in. He actually looked dangerous a couple times in his limited minutes

And the new signing? A left back?
Where does he fit in with PC, Cornelius, and
Sutter already playing there?

PK call was atrocious but that’s their luck every year. What’s the point of VAR?

Last edited:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well didn’t you hear Yoda, now we are complete with our new left back. Squad rebuilt. How many fcuking chances did United need this morning in more important news. Weekend shot.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
MDS touted a high press system in preseason so why sign Montero for that. Kei would have been much better in that system even in his advancing age.
Hwang played a good game on and off the ball from what I saw. He created some chances and was hungry to hunt the ball down but no one else was. When Teibert is fit again we'll see more pressure on the other teams midfielders and we'll see the play switch more from side to side as he moves the ball better than Erice imo.

This week would be a good week to try new legs for this system. It's another away game and rather than losing by playing another boring game, might as well go for it! 20190311_115333.jpg

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, I agree with almost all you say! That being said, where you have Filipe I'd rather see Reyna, then slot Lass into the left side of the front three.

I liked Hwang a lot. Easily, from what I've seen in a short sampling, the best CMF we've had, better than Morales IMO. He's worth watching. I mean, I'm not inclined to spend money on the Caps until Bobbo fries for all the other issues, but that's not the point.

@LION, you are very quick on your trigger finger. You didn't like Robo being fired, essentially, for being a mental midget in a nice sweater. You and your coaching fraternity were up in arms. A coach being fired! Get your pitchforks!

I'd say MDS needs more than 2 matches w/ a completely re-built squad in order to judge him. At least 2.5 matches, maybe three.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Reyna back there makes sense too and maybe a more central role is better for him .

I was really hard on Felipe last year. Maybe I was expecting more from him because he has been a really good MLS player over the years. His stats last year were also impressive in terms of assists and chances created so if we can get him going and gelling with our attackers then better for us at the end of the day.

This is MDS's team this season. Even if he shits the bed I wouldn't replace him...unless a really good coach became available. Last year's firing of Robo at that stage of the season was simply stupid.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude, I think MDS is a great coach from what I know and see. My shout is more at the ownership etc. Year over year we sign all these players, and hope we see it stick to the wall. Montero is passed his prime, and don't believe he fits in a one central striker system. Not even as a false 9. I've seen the Montero show before. meh.

Another massive turn over this season, and a lot of C+ signings with big upside. Same story but same results. So far.

Perhaps the franchise has to change its style and go sign a bonafied player with some pedigree. Spend some money. Fill the seats again with not some hope, but with promise. An impact player. spend 3-5M on a sure bet. Look what Rooney, Ibrah, Giovinco and many others have done for their teams. I was all for the homegrown ways, and still am, but this same style of trying to find the diamonds in the rough isn't working out. and if we do find one, we will sell them for profits. I guess I am wanting the ownership to show they are here to WIN. Now that I know they made some good money with Davies, spend it. lets WIN!

Did Montero fill you with confidence that he will be leading the line this season? I guess I'm just getting jaded after years of the same old same old, with the same old results.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teibert over Jon Erice??? Good God...

You actually knew Erice before he joined the Whitecaps? You were an Albecete fan of the Spanish Segunda last season where they were 1 point from another relegation?
I didn't think so.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't know any of their new players - just Montero.

@bandcamp - he needs to hit a very low spending budget and find 18 plus guys! Pretty hard to do and be competitive. The list of new players is huge after the house cleaning. Which ones will stick and which will be flops? just another year right? has anything really changed?

I rather see RT than another new, lower div euro Midfielder come through the caps revolving door. At least there is some consistency there. We know he works his ass off and plays for the club. Half these other guys will be gone next year again.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Minnesota are 2-0 so far after 2 games both on the road. Last season they only won a single road match .

A reporter asked their coach what the difference is this year...

So, yup you need to spend to compete

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I rather see RT than another new, lower div euro Midfielder come through the caps revolving door. At least there is some consistency there. We know he works his ass off and plays for the club. Half these other guys will be gone next year again.

I agree.

There's a strange culture here which I don't entirely understand where our management and fans think so lowly of our domestic/current players that they think a player from a lower division European/south American League can come and do a better job. Even soccer know-it-alls here think the MLS would be 3rd or 4th tier in England. I don't think so! If that were true then we'd see a lot more Championship players over here as DPs. That's not the case. The players making an impact were the highest level like Ibra, Giovinco, Rooney, Villa, Drogba, Becks, Vela, Defoe, Dempsey, Martinez, Keane, Henry etc.
Just name a few second or third division players lighting it up in MLS and I'd say you've found a needle in a haystack. Besides BWP. Lol .

Our defence is a mystery to me. New players again so only time will tell how good they'll be but at one point we had Beitashour(sp), Harvey, Parker and Waston on our books. That's a solid MLS backline! I can't remember why a couple of them moved on but why get rid of that kind of quality?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree.
Just name a few second or third division players lighting it up in MLS and I'd say you've found a needle in a haystack. Besides BWP. Lol .

Johnny Russel and Adama Diomande are the first that pop to my mind.

If you include top division players from smaller countries (sweden, romania, denmark, poland, austria, etc) then there are plenty.

Our defence is a mystery to me. New players again so only time will tell how good they'll be but at one point we had Beitashour(sp), Harvey, Parker and Waston on our books. That's a solid MLS backline! I can't remember why a couple of them moved on but why get rid of that kind of quality?

Beitashour - Caps didn't want to pay him
Parker - Caps didn't want to pay him

I'm sensing a theme....

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Johnny Russel and Adama Diomande are the first that pop to my mind.

If you include top division players from smaller countries (sweden, romania, denmark, poland, austria, etc) then there are plenty.

Russel is a legitimate one.
Diomande is a beast! He played some prem before Hull went down.

Ok, anyone beside @dezza? You're more of a soccer nerd than I am :p

Beitashour - Caps didn't want to pay him
Parker - Caps didn't want to pay him

I'm sensing a theme....

Indeed.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You actually knew Erice before he joined the Whitecaps? You were an Albecete fan of the Spanish Segunda last season where they were 1 point from another relegation?
I didn't think so.

Zing.

I have to say, when I read Erice's resume, it had me concerned. Poor little Rusty, can't get any respect. He'll probably have the job by week 4.

I will say, really like what I've seen in very little sample size of Hwang. @LION, even you and your love of giants can appreciate this guy. He's everywhere, excellent technique, and a great head for the game. We'll sell him on for another $20M. Rinse, repeat, still no championships but getting sales.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't think so.

Erice has shown me more in two games than Teibert has in his entire Whitecap "career"... to each their own, but for me, the former is in a different footballing class...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree.

There's a strange culture here which I don't entirely understand where our management and fans think so lowly of our domestic/current players that they think a player from a lower division European/south American League can come and do a better job. Even soccer know-it-alls here think the MLS would be 3rd or 4th tier in England. I don't think so! If that were true then we'd see a lot more Championship players over here as DPs. That's not the case. The players making an impact were the highest level like Ibra, Giovinco, Rooney, Villa, Drogba, Becks, Vela, Defoe, Dempsey, Martinez, Keane, Henry etc.

Harvey sucked, Beitashour wanted big dough, Parker wanted more dough than Waston was getting and heavens they couldn't do that because Waston might ask out, and Waston asked out anyway.

There, all caught up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts