Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not concerned. When he was with us before he had far less support and was still productive.

He’s become a very reliable poacher. He doesn’t need a hold up man if the attack allows the attacking mid and two wingers more licence. That’s where I believe this kid Hwang is going to shine, because he will be able to drive those front three and open up lanes. I expect far more playing along ground vs through the air this year.

Anyhow, excited to see a team using more speed and urgency in possession / going forward.

I agree that if they play (successfully) that way, Montero will be plenty productive even on his own... as an added bonus, Montero somehow counts as a domestic player for MLS registration purposes...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Jigsaw , curious of your opinion, as you’ve been around the block once or twice....

1. How do you view the preseason for the Caps, specifically this year? What would be important for you to see? Concerned about the results or is it about other key points for you?

2. Where do you see the MLS falling now on a comparable scale in UK? Championship? Lower?

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, all I see here is another FORMER premier level player dropping down to finish his career. Yes, he has played for some big clubs after his years at Man United, but besides the few big teams in Portugal, it's not nearly the same level of EPL. Same with Spain (played for Valencia), I know nothing about Turkey. You could say Serie A is the highest overall consistent level behind the EPL, but...yeah...this signing doesn't really answer my question.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Dude , I'd say MLS would be mid-table Championship and lower imo. But who actually knows how well an MLS team would do in a full season grind in a way more fast-paced and physical league. I would say that travel in MLS is a nightmare comparatively and maybe that could be somewhat of an equalizer...and some turf pitches :rolleyes:

When will the Caps sign a big name player? They would generate so much interest, new fans and revenue etc.
I'm not ashamed to admit it but I've been watching TFC games because of Giovinco that past few seasons. He was an exciting player for them and the league. I tried watching them last night, they lost 4-0 to an awful team in CCL, and they looked a former shadow of themselves. I switched off after 30 minutes and won't be watching anymore TFC games. What I'm saying is, that's the power of having a marquee player in this league. And silverware of course!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's a fair take I've heard as well. I really have no idea. I've heard that it's almost an impossible comparison due to the Central / South American influence in the league, never mind the travel, and in a lot of cases summer heat. And yeah, the turf influence is brutal. For a while it looked like it was trending back towards natural surfaces. If you ask the supporters, most will claim turf has no significant effect on wear and tear. OK, then...

As for a big name, I agree, and it's never going to happen here. Our best hope is finding another Davies, buying him, and enjoying watching him until he sells on. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Davies the last two seasons, and could hardly be effed to watch when he wasn't in the line-up.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
How many Davies have there been since our inception? haha. He was a needle in a hay stack who we all enjoyed while he was here.

There's gotta be many good players from Europe winding down their contracts year after year. If we could get a DP without a transfer fee then we could have signed someone on a two year deal with the Davies money. Although that would have been a set back for the rebuild but look at how one really good DP can change a team from Giovinco to Ibra to Rooney.

Sniffer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Sep 24, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Jigsaw , curious of your opinion, as you’ve been around the block once or twice....

1. How do you view the preseason for the Caps, specifically this year? What would be important for you to see? Concerned about the results or is it about other key points for you?

2. Where do you see the MLS falling now on a comparable scale in UK? Championship? Lower?

There is no way any MLS team would survive 48 games in the Championship, they are maybe mid table league 1 for sure, has anyone actually watched the Championship regularly?

The Championship is maybe the hardest league in world football to get out of.

As for VWFC, for this to be their anniversary season it is embarrassing how they have treated pre-season...in for a shocker i would say..believe me, i hope i am wrong but we are 2 weeks from the start of the season and we can't even beat a 3rd string side today.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will put my hands up in the air and admit I simply don't know. I don't eat, sleep, and drink the game as a fan the way some do. I do so far as the Whitecaps go, which is sad, I know. They are my childhood team, and like a bad marriage where the wife keeps hitting you over the head with a frying pan, and she's gotten old, ugly, and overweight, you still love her.

Which is why I ask...

Atiba...think that could actually happen? Jesus, that'd be something special indeed.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Atiba...think that could actually happen? Jesus, that'd be something special indeed.

He may be running down his current contract extension right now. So he may be available. He was making $1million + $600k in bonuses a couple years back but I don't think he can get that kind of money given his current age. It is interesting though as he's been on the MLS radar for a few years now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
#BornToBeASouthSider

Can't....quite get there. Too much nerderie there. I will say this, there is some good discussion on that forum, but I lose it when the discussion changes to turf, and the vast majority of supporters don't understand why it's a big problem for us...both in terms of attracting players, and in terms of wear and tear on our own.

Would far rather have the discussion here.

forest1979

Apr 26, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watch and follow the championship in uk (if your interested in it and champions cup check out DAZN, I,m really impressed with it) but have also seen lots of mls live and on tv. would honestly say mls is a very different game, considerably less physical, and slower.....over a 40 or 46 game season I think a good mls team would be 3rd tier in UK and struggle to do it......BUT I would also say that a good div 1 side in uk,(that's 3rd tier) lets say Luton/sunderland/Coventry may well struggle in mls, because their midfield game is based on physicality and pressure...…...one thing I am really, really sure about is that hanging would be brought back in UK if mls refs were involved!!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t know if this squad is set up for success with the guys they brought in. Seems like they are throwing shite against a wall and hope it sticks. Just like years past.

What everyone’s connection to the players on this team?
They flipped the entire team over pretty much. How do you build a fan base with no core players or franchise players in the club returning. Hard to make a connection to this squad when it’s a bunch of no name guys coming in year after year and we all hope they are good and can do some damage.

This season; who are we excited to watch?
Montero is past his prime and a poacher. Reyna has some good matches but disappears for games.
Hopefully they end up putting some points up or else I can see lots of fans moving on this season. Zero emotional connection to this squad now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts