Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 2019 Div 2 CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The semis :
NK vs Shaheen
13th Legion
vs Metropolitan

I've said in previous years that if the winner of the div.2 cup is neither the group A or B winners then they should play against the 10th place div.1 side(EDC this year) in a playoff game for that spot in div.1.
This year is a perfect example where the div.2 Cup winner will not be a group winner. This would make the tournament that much more special and sought after to win!

1) Isn't a reward for a Division 2 Cup winner a spot at Provincial Cup?

2) If you would have Division 2 Cup winner playing some kind of play-off game for a spot in Division 1 then potentially you could have Division 2 team that is at the bottom of Division 2 (even relegated) being promoted to Division 1 (if they would win Division 2 cup game and then a play-off game against Division 1 team that is placed 3rd from the bottom). Division 2 cup (5, 6 games) simply should not be more important than league's 22 games.

Anyway, your idea about having some types of play-off games is very good. In my opinion it would be better if runners-up from both pools in Division 2 played a play-off game against each other then the winner of that match to play for a spot in Division 1 with the 3rd team from the bottom in Division 1. That way you could potentially have 3 teams from Division 2 going to Division 1 while 3 teams from Division 1 would be relegated.
That system would force all teams to play at 100% every game.

The same system could be applied all across the league. Team #10 in Premier could play against Team #3 in Division 1 and so on.

So, machel, your idea deserves a lot of consideration.

vancvouersoccer

Mar 13, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money

2) If you would have Division 2 Cup winner playing some kind of play-off game for a spot in Division 1 then potentially you could have Division 2 team that is at the bottom of Division 2 (even relegated) being promoted to Division 1 (if they would win Division 2 cup game and then a play-off game against Division 1 team that is placed 3rd from the bottom). Division 2 cup (5, 6 games) simply should not be more important than league's 22 games.

Anyway, your idea about having some types of play-off games is very good. In my opinion it would be better if runners-up from both pools in Division 2 played a play-off game against each other then the winner of that match to play for a spot in Division 1 with the 3rd team from the bottom in Division 1. That way you could potentially have 3 teams from Division 2 going to Division 1 while 3 teams from Division 1 would be relegated.

The same system could be applied all across the league. Team #10 in Premier could play against Team #3 in Division 1 and so on.

Yeah I totally agree with the idea of more teams getting promoted to div 1. Right now there are many teams that could be competing in div 1. Over the years div 2 has become very competitive. Recently promoted teams are doing very well in div 1. burnaby metro,burnaby eagles, greencaps lupi etc... Most of which had competitive seasons in div 2 that ran to the last few weeks. 2 spots out of 24 teams is just not good enough I think. Also the way the groups are constructed year to year is another problem. I'm gonna stir the pot a little bit. I know they recently added seeded way of drawing the groups to make it more even, but I still think its not working. 2B was more competitive then 2A. Similar to previous years groups were lopsided. I mean look at the teams left in the cup. 3 are from 2B. I know alot has to do with the cup draw and the brackets, but I still think 2B was stronger. I feel like the league just picks out the groups and tries to give the easier groups to the teams that have never been to div 1. This year 6 teams out of 12 in 2B have been to div 1 in the last few years. How come the league does not hold public draws for divisions, similar to league cup and provincials?

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

1. I believe you're right...the league cup winner gets a shot in the provincials. However if the league cup winner is a group winner then it goes to someone else. I forget who gets the spot off the top of my head.

2.You have a point but if a lower div.2 team or even div.3 team won the cup and then proceeded to beat the 10th place team in div.1 in a playoff, that in my eyes would be enough. That's 7 straight wins and by the time you get to the quarters/semis you're seeing some really good teams. The group winners didn't even make the semis this year showing how good the competition really is imo.

3.If my idea is too "out there" for some people then yours is just as good. The level of Div.2 had gone up quite a bit over the last few seasons and 3 teams potentially going up would make sense. Having said that, I'm not sold on the same application with regards to div.1 and Premier. The gap between those two divisions is still quite large.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
As mentioned, Shaheen ruined my otherwise perfect round, including the prediction of the upset of Serbia. 13th Legion have a slight chance of still qualifying for the Provincial Cup if they do not make the finals here, but they would need Hrvat to lose on the other side of the draw. For Hrvat themselves, a somewhat surprising journey to the cup final is their only path to the post season tournament. As for Shaheen and Metro, they are likely to still qualify, but, should they both lose, Shaheen will require a playoff against the third place team from 2A, which could well be Metropolitan themselves depending on how the league games finish out. Thus, the most straightforward way to the Provincials is a win here, so there should be plenty of motivation and, hopefully, quality footy as well!

Quarter Finals: 3/4

Overall: 34/47

Completely Baseless Predictions - Semi Finals

HK Hrvat (2B) v Shaheen (2B)
This one is tough to call. Shaheen won the first league meeting in a tight 1-0 contest. In the second meeting Shaheen were given the points when Hrvat causedd the game to be abandoned. So at the very least expect this one to be spirited. Hrvat are white hot at the minute, but, of course, Shaheen have had to win just as many games to get this far as well. Add in the fact that a spot in the Provincials is on the line and this has all the elements to be a cracker. When you get the semi finals all it takes is one bounce, one call or one moment of brilliance to make the difference. With all the various subplots let make this one the MOTR. As for a winner, Shaheen would be presumptive favourites given their league record. However, Hrvat have seemingly unlocked that Cup magic, so let make this my Upset Special as well and say they make the final and the Provincials.

13th Legion (2B) v Metropolitan (2A)
Two teams here that desperately believe that they should be playing in Division 1. Unfortunately for both of them, another season in Division 2 is on the cards for next year. After a campaign where they have taken a step back, 13th can try and salvage things a bit with a win here and a spot in the Provincials. For Students they have played well this season and were just not quite the best that 2A had to offer. They are certainly and contender to win both this trophy and the Provincials, should they qualify (there is a chance things conspire against them and they miss out). They will be hoping to build on a successful season and carry that momentum into next year. Picking up a trophy or two would obviously lend itself nicely to that. After a comprehensive victory over 2B title contenders Sierra a couple of rounds ago, Students have served notice that they deserve to be favourites. Indeed they shall be. Legion will no doubt bring their best but Metro will be confident they can advance.

Observer

Feb 20, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beautiful day to take in the semis at Burnaby lake turf.
The first match saw cup stalwarts NK Hrvat edge out a fiesty Shaheen side by a razors edge on extra penalties.
The Persians controlled the first 20 or so minutes before the play levelled out till the half. The second half was better for the Croats who should have finished a couple. Over time seemed to be a tired affair with both teams not pushing to hard. NK shot the first penalty and scored while Shaheen missed. The second shooters reversed outcomes. the next two shooters scored for both teams then Hrvat missed their 5th. The 5th Shaheen player will not sleep well tonight as he had the chance to end it but was denied by NK goalie Rajun Hyare. Nk bagged the sixth shot before Raj pulled off another great save to send the good guys in black to their 5th Div 2 cup final in search of a 3rd little metal plaque on the wooden base.

The post game celebration involved taking in the other semi final where UBC edged out a tough 13th Legion side 2-1 in regulation play. The Italians were leading 1-0 but two second half goals by the white and blue undid the angry black and gold. A red card with precious time remaining (followed by another after the game) put the match out of reach for the Legion who were ripping Rueben the ref like crazy. I actually can't believe he took some of the abuse hurled at him before pulling out cards. I'm not saying he deserved it or not as I am not a huge fan of his for sure but i am glad to not have to experience that type of vitriol in the final.

I sure hope the ref for the final is competent and fair.
Choo Choo

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Took in Metropolitan v 13th Legion semi in Saturday. Here's two of the goals, some sending offs, some crunching challenges, some top moaning to the ref, and more! See how many times the phrase "are you serious" crops up! In all seriousness though, thought ref Ruben was more than patient in this one considering the abuse he was getting. He did well. I'd have been dishing cards out left, right, and centre for dissent.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Took in Metropolitan v 13th Legion semi in Saturday. Here's two of the goals, some sending offs, some crunching challenges, some top moaning to the ref, and more! See how many times the phrase "are you serious" crops up! In all seriousness though, thought ref Ruben was more than patient in this one considering the abuse he was getting. He did well. I'd have been dishing cards out left, right, and centre for dissent.

Hey, you mentioned a brouhaha on Twatter. You going to put in a piece on that?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone please answer my question. How come the league does not hold public draws for div 2 divisions, similar to league cup and provincials? perhaps @Canucks4Ever you can answer this question.

Wasn't this the first year of a seeded draw to decide the groupings?

Maybe ask your team manager to propose at the AGM to have the draw public. If there's enough support and the motion passes then there will be a public draw.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone please answer my question. How come the league does not hold public draws for div 2 divisions, similar to league cup and provincials? perhaps @Canucks4Ever you can answer this question.

As far as I am aware the draw was open to attend; presumably it was done at a VMSL board meeting (same as the cup draws) and they are not generally closed to the membership. It probably was not well advertised though.

As @dezza pointed out, if you bring this up at the AGM I am sure they can make a point of explicitly announcing when they are holding the draw for any one who wants to attend. The idea that they "rigged" the draw in favour of "teams that have never been in Div. 1 before" is not even worth addressing as it is so far beyond the scope of rationality.

The reality is that an off season in Div. 2 can produce a helluva lot of turnover. The draw was proposed in order to stop teams from intentionally trying to finish in a certain placing in order to try and get a favourable group for the following season based on the fact that the groups were previously determined by formula. It is impossible to combat the off season changes and/or mergers that occur which effect competitiveness.

Let's take a look at the league year over year:

upload_2019-3-20_12-40-35.png

upload_2019-3-20_12-40-46.png

Each pool was drawn with 2 promoted teams and one relegated team. The pools are also balanced with one team of each placing 2nd through 10th the season before. Emphasizing the fact that there are some things you simply cannot account for, of the teams currently leading the way for promotion in 2B one finished 8th last year and the other was not in the league.

Looks pretty fair and transparent to me.

ubcmetropolitan

Mar 25, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Beautiful day to take in the semis at Burnaby lake turf.
The first match saw cup stalwarts NK Hrvat edge out a fiesty Shaheen side by a razors edge on extra penalties.
The Persians controlled the first 20 or so minutes before the play levelled out till the half. The second half was better for the Croats who should have finished a couple. Over time seemed to be a tired affair with both teams not pushing to hard. NK shot the first penalty and scored while Shaheen missed. The second shooters reversed outcomes. the next two shooters scored for both teams then Hrvat missed their 5th. The 5th Shaheen player will not sleep well tonight as he had the chance to end it but was denied by NK goalie Rajun Hyare. Nk bagged the sixth shot before Raj pulled off another great save to send the good guys in black to their 5th Div 2 cup final in search of a 3rd little metal plaque on the wooden base.

The post game celebration involved taking in the other semi final where UBC edged out a tough 13th Legion side 2-1 in regulation play. The Italians were leading 1-0 but two second half goals by the white and blue undid the angry black and gold. A red card with precious time remaining (followed by another after the game) put the match out of reach for the Legion who were ripping Rueben the ref like crazy. I actually can't believe he took some of the abuse hurled at him before pulling out cards. I'm not saying he deserved it or not as I am not a huge fan of his for sure but i am glad to not have to experience that type of vitriol in the final.

I sure hope the ref for the final is competent and fair.
Choo Choo
I hope your guys come to actually play and not park the bus like you did for most of the game in the semis ;) Good luck and see you on Saturday.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have reached Match 50 of the Div. 2 Cup, which means it is time to crown a champion. After last season where the two league winners charged ahead to meet in the cup final, this year we have a pair of teams looking for their first piece of glory for the campaign. Hrvat have also ridden their Cup success to a place in the Provincial Cup which is quite the reward after a mid-table finish. Can they keep the cup magic going into this weekend and beyond? Or is it midnight for Cinderella? Only one way to find out...

Quarter Finals: 2/2
Overall: 36/49

Completely Baseless Predictions - FINAL

HK Hrvat v Metropolitan
Not sure that anyone had this final pairing in their bracket, but in a competition with 51 teams, predictability is not exactly a slam dunk. The final did serve us up a crossover match between 2A and 2B though, so there will be no head to head to compare. Hrvat's only previous match against a 2A side was against league winners Vancouver strikers in the first round proper, where they, of course, upset the champs en route to this final. After that win they were able to take advantage of a rather soft draw, beating back to back Division 2 side before squaring off against domestic competition in third place Shaheen from 2B. By this point the cup magic was in full flow and there was not stopping the HK train, irrespective of the defensive football tactics they may have resorted to in order to prevail. Ironically this entire run could have not ever materialized as it took penalties in the preliminary match against fell 2B side Rino's Bulldogs in Match 1 of the competition for Hrvat to advance. I doubt the shooter realized at the time just how crucial his winning penalty would prove to be! For Students, their season has once more seen them come up short in their bid to return to Division 1, proving once again that it is much easier to stay in the league than earn your way back into it. A revamped Metro roster was a force to threatened with all year, but, ultimately they were unable to get the crucial results necessary and maintain their focus at key points to secure a first place finish. Their attitude has been good though, and a chance to lift a knockout trophy before heading into the Provincials would be a just reward for their efforts. Hrvat are not exactly prolific in front of goal, in fact they finished with a -7 goal difference, and their leading scoring, Nikolas Bozic, has only nine goals on the year, so one can understand the necessity in resorting to defensive football. Metro, meanwhile, chalked up an impressive 54 goals over the campaign, led by 16 from Masumi Turnbull and eight more from former Campo Atletico talisman Edson Castro. The league table and other stats would certainly suggest Metropolitan are favourites for this one and I will follow that line. However, I would not expect Hrvat to put any stock in that whatsoever; they have come this far in spite of being underdogs, damn the torpedoes, they are here to win.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
HK Hrvat 0(2)-0(3) Metropolitan FT(AET)

Final could best be described at "bleh".

Metro controlled the game and missed a PK. Then Student ended up with not one but TWO players sent off before 90 minutes. Even with a massive man power advantage Hrvat never really threatened. In fact it was Metro who put one off the post via a corner kick.

Penalties were dreadful (or excellent if you are a member of the keepers union). 2-2 after five shooters including Hrvat have a chance to win it with their fifth shot. They would miss again in the sixth round and Metro would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0