Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 BC Mens Provincial B Cup - Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks4ever,

I have not spoken to anyone from Serbia re this so I do not know what they think about any of this; I can only assume that they do not care, one way or another. They have one game to play and they will play it whenever and wherever the game is actually scheduled.

I simply expressed my own opinion and that is it.
Yes, I understand that any team playing two games in two days would be at a significant disadvantage and that would not be fair.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Semi Finals:

Gorge Us-Guys (VISL) v Metropolitan (VMSL) -Saturday 4:00pm @ Hampton Turf, Victoria
Better late than never, the second B Cup semi will go this weekend and it is likely the Match of the Round. Gorge have been untouchable all season and will have home field advantage once again as they face arguably the best VMSL Division 2 side in the competition. True, Metropolitan did not win their group, however, this was mostly down to early season errors. The righted the ship and have not lost since November 4, a stretch that includes a six win run to lifting the VMSL's Div. 2 Cup. Despite their strong second half charge, drawing only four matches from the beginning of November through to present day, they agonizingly ran out of track in their efforts to reel in Div. 2A title and promotion winners Strikers even as the Vancouver side limped to the finish line and was eliminated at the first hurdle in both the league and Provincial cup competitions. While Div. 2B winners Sierra as well as runners up and already Provincial Cup finalists, Serbia, may wish to also contend for the mantle of the top VMSL Division 2 side, there is no contest when is comes to the number one Division 3 side from the VISL. Gorge are without a doubt the top squad having posted an undefeated season that has seen them, so far, win the league and two domestic cups, one of which involved them beating upper league opposition. There will be plenty of firepower on display as well with a combined 138 league goals on offer between the sides. It should be a well-matched game and when you add in the travel factor, plus the accounts of the unique pitch geometry at Hampton, it could well tip the scales in Gorge's favour. However, Students seem to be on a mission and, as mentioned previously, the last two winners of this trophy have been VMSL sides that, after missing out on promotion domestically, have caught fire down the stretch en route to winning this title and then promotion the following season. Metro fit that mold to a tee, plus they have been full value in their two matches to reach this point beating Roma from the BMSL 5-1 and Port Moody from the FVSL 5-0. While Gorge took the boots to RASA side, and surprise package of the tournament to that point, Graduates in the last round, beating them 5-1, they struggled against VMSL side HK Hrvat, only edging them 3-2 even with their home cooking. Metropolitan are a better side than Hrvat so it stands to reason this will be Gorge's toughest challenge to date. There is also the law of averages to consider and Gorge are due a loss. If they get past Metro then they just well may be a team of destiny and I think they will win the title. However, I don't think they are getting past Metro.

Bobby Hockey

Apr 15, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting comment, Gorge beat NK Hrvat 3-2, According to vmsl div 2 cup results page, Metropolitan beat NK Hrvat on PK’s 1-0. So how good is metro?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metro beat HK Hrvat 1-0 on PKs after being reduced to 9 men...

Twitter seems to have them also beat Gorge today 3-2.

Bobby Hockey

Apr 15, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was at the Gorge game yesterday, and it was a fortuitous win by Metro, but the score is what matters, and yes it was 3-2. Best of luck to Metropolitan in finals.

Not sure what you're point is.
Usually a team is reduced because they deserve to be, refs are generally pretty good in finals. Im sure they were not reduced at beginning of game. When did they get reduced, in the 90th? It doesnt matter whether you have 9 or 11 men in pks. Did it not go to 7 or 8 pks.

Joe321

Dec 15, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great sportsmanship from the Gorg Us squad. Although game was quite physical, post-game there was no bad blood and both teams appreciated the competitiveness. Both teams had a few lucky bounces, some mistakes were made by Metro defenders that Gorg took advantage of.
Game was very exciting to watch.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The final everyone has forgotten about is being played on Sunday. For those keeping track at home, this final makes it 10 out of a possible 10 VMSL teams in the various men's BC Soccer Provincial Cup finals. Thankfully, because it is two mainland teams, this match will be played in Burnaby, so, even with it having been delayed, hopefully that will mean a bigger crowd. Things were rather sparse over in Nanaimo...

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s B Keith Millar Provincial Cup

Semi Finals: 2/2
Overall: 12/22

Final:

FC Serbia United (VMSL) v Metropolitan (VMSL) -Sunday 6:30pm @ Burnaby Lake #2, Burnaby
Eventually we are in fact getting around to this one and it is certainly a match worthy of a final with the two VMSL Division 2 runners up clashing and hoping to put a year ending gloss on a season that saw them fall just short of promotion. As I have mentioned several times throughout these predictions, the last two seasons have seen the winner of this trophy return in the fall to kick off what would become a promotion campaign and both of these sides will be in position to accomplish this very same feat next year. Given that they were in separate groups, they have not played each other this year. They were on course for a meeting in the Div. 2 Cup semi finals, however, Serbia were ousted by 13th Legion in the quarters, while Students, of course, would go on to lift that trophy. Lots of firepower in this one as well with Div. 2B's top two goal scorers in Ramsey Alfantazi and Pedro Vega for Serbia who had 21 and 20 respectively in VMSL play. Metro will counter with Masumi Turnbull who had 12 league goals and a further four during the aforementioned Div. 2 cup run. No sense in belaboring this one though; I picked Metropolitan to win this competition previously and I won't back-peddle from that prediction. Serbia are a quality side, no doubt, but they already failed to produce their best under pressure earlier this season when they produced a woeful effort against rivals Sierra with the 2B title hanging in the balance. They were beaten 2-0 on that day and finished with nine men. As for Students, they two have seen themselves reduced to nine men on the biggest stage as that is exactly what happened during the league cup final against Hrvat. Metro were undeterred though, grinding out a 0-0 and then coming from behind in penalties. That seems like championship pedigree to me, so I will take Metropolitan to win what sets up as an entertaining finale that should hopefully feature plenty of goals and, based on their previous performances, perhaps a few red cards as well!

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck to both teams.
It's not really their fault but not having the final with the other Cup finals has totally lost it's momentum (from an onlookers perspective anyways).
Will this be shown online?
I'd like to catch the second half if I can!
Thanks

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metropolitan FC were better team today and won 3:0. Goals in 21st, 29th, and 90+3.
Serbia played without a few key players: Metropolitan seemed to be complete.
Congratulations to Metropolitan; well deserved!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Around the Grounds in the Provincial B Cup:

FC Serbia United 0-3 Metropolitan
It was just about all Metro straight from the opening whistle. The UBC based side were on the front foot and, if not for Serbia's goalkeeper, they could have been one or two up inside ten minutes. Some top drawer goalkeeping kept things scoreless, but with Students coming at Serbia in waves that was never going to last long. After 20 minutes, Masumi Turnbull showed why he was their leading scorer when he demonstrated a sublime bit of skill to chest and then volley an unstoppable into the back of the net to open the scoring. Within ten minutes Metro would double their lead when Tomas Solano finished off an nice little passing combination inside the Serbia box by smashing his finish into the roof of the net, short side from close range. Students were full value for their lead as it was hard to recall Serbia crossing halfway with any sort of meaningful possession. On one rare occasion when they did surge forward, talisman Ramsey Alfantazi looked to be on a rather buccaneering run, only to be impeded by his own teammate in a sequence that rather summed up Serbia on the day. They created another half chance late in the first period, but a desperate sliding challenge by a Metro defender robbed them of the opportunity to test the Student's goalkeeper. Metropolitan were full value for their 2-0 lead at the break and likely could have been up by more. It looked very much like teams from different divisions on display and surely, if Metro can keep this squad together and playing at this level, they should by a slam dunk for promotion next season.

However, in the second half Students looked much more average. True, they were leading comfortably, but their incisive and overwhelming attach had ebbed away and Serbia began to find their way into the match. In all honestly the second 45 was a bit drab until things looked set for a fantastic finish when, with just under 20 minutes remaining, Serbia looked sure to claw one back. An initial save was not cleared and eventually pinballed to the back post when the attacker had the goal gaping. It was all but 2-1 when, out of nowhere, a defender appeared to clear the ball of the line with the rebound ricocheting to a grateful UBC keeper who had been left for dead. Serbia gamely kept up their push, but that moment basically confirmed the result. With Serbia getting more and more desperate, a poor clearance handed the ball to Metropolitan's marquee summer acquisition, former Campo man Edson Castro, who calmly lobbed the keeper to begin the celebrations. Well played to both teams, but no question that Metro were the better side on the day.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Serbia missed opportunity to potentially make it 2-1 is something that player will lose sleep over! He should have scored. Serbia had some legit chances and on another day the result may have been different. Having said that, full marks to Metro for their Provincial Cup win and a dominant 3/4s of the season. (undefeated in that stretch?)

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good job AFTN. Here is a video from the other side:

I think what should be also mentioned here is a good refereeing, both teams respected their opponent, played hard but fair.
Good crowd, well behaved (both sides).

BC Soccer should have, at least, brought a microphone and, if nothing else, announce before the game a moment of silence for young Brandon Bassi. The both teams and the officials stood in the middle and observed a minute of silence but the crowd around had to guess what was going on.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to ubc metropolitan players
Well done Adam long time coming a lot of hard hard work behind the scenes to get to these two cup wins this season

vancvouersoccer

Mar 13, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metropolitan FC were better team today and won 3:0. Goals in 21st, 29th, and 90+3.
Serbia played without a few key players: Metropolitan seemed to be complete.
Congratulations to Metropolitan; well deserved!

Yeah seems like a few players were missing from the team I've seen this year. Serbia is definitely better team than this. Most notably Pedro was missing who has third of Serbia's total goals this season. Not sure how he would miss such big game. From previous videos it seems like he has not played since the first round. Weird thing is that Ramsey didn't play in the first round. Maybe they could only afford to pay one for provincials. Perhaps Pedro's money contract expired ;) Either way congrats to metro boys, they were better team and deserved it. Way too represent VMSL. On the other note, I'm glad none of Fraser Valley guys didn't some how make this about FVSL. If Serbia had won then hell would break loose. The score was 1-1 in the semis with Serbia until the 80th min, therefor the gap is so small. Technically we almost won the final, blah blah blah. loool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts