Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 BC Mens Provincial B Cup - Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like I mentioned earlier, the Gorge should have gotten the win in the earlier round. Onto Metro, and are you playing tomorrow? It would be bad sign if BC Soccer doesnt get the other semi game before the big weekend and pushed the final week later. Disaster imo.

Based on this line from BC Soccer's "Official Statement":

however, we are aware that players/teams may have mid-week obligations and that mid-week games cannot be played if one team needs to travel to or from the island.

It would seem that Gorge advancing officially rules out the final being played this weekend.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Play friday night? What about early Saturday? And then you can play a final game as well. Metro players could also save money, if they win they do not have to spend money on ferry twice. Stay overnight and play next day.
What about two teams deciding what they would like to do?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What about two teams deciding what they would like to do?

Maybe this.

But unlikely. No chance BC Soccer forces Metro to travel to the Island midweek (people have work/other availability issues). So unless Metro voluntarily make it work or Gorge decide to come to the mainland to fit in a midweek game I'd venture that there will be no final this week.

Shame.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Semi-final should be scheduled for Saturday. BC Soccer to pay hotel for Metropolitan Saturday night (if they win so they can stay and play final game on Sunday).
Anything else does not make any sense. No one planned to play this competition at the end of May and both finalists could have a problem having enough players.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
At the same time BC Soccer removed the date for the Final game. A couple of days ago the date was listed (May 12th) and now it is gone

Yes, clearly BC Soccer is sticking to their plan as outlined in the note @dezza posted previously:

If necessary BC Soccer will reschedule the finals for the Women’s and Men’s B Cups to the weekend of May 25th/26th. The date/time/location for these matches are currently to be determined.

So three weeks off for Serbia as they will have to wait until after the long weekend to play for the Provincial title. Certainly not ideal from a playing or general interest standpoint.

Perhaps a caveat going forward in these Provincial tournaments could be that all Island vs. Mainland games must be scheduled for Saturday with Sunday available as an immediate backup if weather, etc. cancels the Saturday game? BC Soccer already mandates that Island/Mainland games kickoff between 12-4 pm, so this doesn't seem like a huge leap.

As for where the final will be held, it stands to reason if Metropolitan advance then they will keep the final on the Mainland, I would venture a guess that it would get played at Burnaby Lake. If Gorge win, though, it might be a different story. Even though Gorge are in the bottom half of the draw and the "away" team for the final, it was the Island's year to host the finals. I will be interesting to see what BC Soccer would do in that situation.

Likely they would want to pair it up with the Women's B final, to which Gorge have already advanced a team to, and it could be an all Island final if Prospect lake win their semi final this weekend. My guess is if Gorge Us-Guys win their men's semi against Metro then both the Men's and Women's B Finals will be played on the Island, but in the Victoria area, not Nanaimo, on the May 25/26 weekend. If Metro win then the women's final will still go on the Island, but the Men's final will stay on the Mainland.

Who knows though when it comes to BC Soccer.

Also, side note, it did end up being all VMSL in the Masters B final as well so all 8 teams headed to Nanaimo for the Men's finals this weekend will be from the VMSL, just like the last time the Island hosted.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why not just play Final on Sunday? I believe there was a Fraser Valley team that had to do that earlier in the competition. For young players this shouldnt be a problem. It is like a tournament, except you still get some rest. Anyone from Gorge or Metro or Serbia would like to comment? It is too bad how BC Soccer always fails to deliver.

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Proper rest vs. not is a massive advantage, doesn't matter how old you are.

In most cases you are right but this is the case where Gorge/Metropolitan would play their semi-final match on Saturday (which could have been scheduled at noon), rest all afternoon and sleep in Nanaimo while other finalist (Serbia) would most likely travel early Sunday morning and arrive to Nanaimo probably as tired as the other finalist which played a semi-final game a day earlier.

So, I tend to agree with robino; the final game should be played on Sunday. BC Soccer should have scheduled the game on Sunday and pay hotel to Metropolitan if they win.

I wonder now where the final B Cup game (on May 25.26) will be held.
Why would Serbia - Metropolitan travel to Nanaimo (on May 25/26) when they are not part of the big show (May 12)?
Why would Serbia travel to Nanaimo to play against Gorge on May 25/26 if the big show was done on May 12? I can see Gorge (if they win) wanting final game to be played on the Island (although the big show will be done on May 12) and it is easy to anticipate Serbia would not be happy to travel to the Island any other day but May 12th; bottom line, B Cup bracket lists them as the home team.

Hopefully BC Soccer learns something from this situation and plans, in the future, one weekend off between semi-finals and finals so any make-up games can be played that off week. The same applies to VMSL who had their own share of issues this year with make-up games.

Anyway, maybe BC Provincials format should be changed. Instead of this play-down system why not have the Island teams battle for one spot at the Provincials and Lower Mainland leagues (VMSL, FVSL, BMSL, RASA) battle for 3 spots at Provincials. This would avoid a lot of travels between the Island and Lower Mainland for cup games.

Provincials then should have 4 teams (playing semi-finals and final game) instead of two. Both, the Island and Lower Mainland, would be represented at Provincial so no one should have a reason to complain why All-Lower Mainland finalists have to travel for the Finals to the Island or vice versa.
BC Soccer would save a lot of money (travel allowance) because there would not be travel between the Island and Lower Mainland so that money could be used for hotel expenses during Provincials.
Finally, by having this system, every fourth Provincials should be held on the Island.

I do understand that this is not a flawless system; it would be certainly hard for any team to have players committed for two days for the Provincials (people have families, work, etc.) but, in my opinion, better system than the current one where every year we hear complaints why two LM teams have to travel for the finals to the Island (or two VI teams to LM).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man I'm tired of hearing the bitching and moaning about travel. It's B Cup, sorry, don't want to play, then decline invitation. Simple. Even on the A side, the moaning is getting old. Jesus, you play for these opportunities, suck it up and figure out the fcuking boat! It's not that hard. It's Nanaimo. You can walk on, and take a $10 Cab to the park. You aren't travelling to Siberia. Travelling to Richmond is harder.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They should have all B Cups in some sort of weekend tournament format.

That would be cool.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
They should have all B Cups in some sort of weekend tournament format.

That would be cool.
They use to we won it in Victoria 2008 split in to groups of 4
Play 1 game Friday night 2 games Saturday
2 games Sunday if u make semis and final
Games were 2 30 minutes half’s then shoot to get a winner
Fitness counts
Fantastic as all teams were there it was a great atmosphere all games at one park
We even had a topless girl run across the field
With Victoria tv cameras there
First game of tournament

FC Red Star

Feb 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Man I'm tired of hearing the bitching and moaning about travel. It's B Cup, sorry, don't want to play, then decline invitation. Simple. Even on the A side, the moaning is getting old. Jesus, you play for these opportunities, suck it up and figure out the fcuking boat! It's not that hard. It's Nanaimo. You can walk on, and take a $10 Cab to the park. You aren't travelling to Siberia. Travelling to Richmond is harder.
Dude, do not think that I do not agree with you; I do! I am not bitching about the travel; I said that we all hear every year the same complaints about travels so maybe a competition format change would fix that (although something else would surface; it always does).

For the same reason you said (basically "suck it up"), the final game should have been scheduled for Sunday so B Cup final can be played as the part of the big show. Semi-final game on Saturday and then final game on Sunday.
As a matter of fact this could have been done last week when the quarter-final should have been scheduled on Saturday and semi-final game on Sunday on the Island.
BC Soccer missed both opportunities because they really do not care about the "big picture" so my comments relate to a fact that B Cup final game has been moved to another day, is now not a part of the big show, and that then raises a lot of questions which I pointed out.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
They use to we won it in Victoria 2008 split in to groups of 4
Play 1 game Friday night 2 games Saturday
2 games Sunday if u make semis and final
Games were 2 30 minutes half’s then shoot to get a winner
Fitness counts
Fantastic as all teams were there it was a great atmosphere all games at one park
We even had a topless girl run across the field
With Victoria tv cameras there
First game of tournament

9nohQh4.jpg

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have a tough time believing that if it was Serbia who could not get over to the Island due to weather that @FC Red Star would still be pushing to have the remaining semi and the final played on back to back days...

It is a massive disadvantage for the team that would have to play two days in a row, I really cannot believe that anyone would think putting them up in a crappy motel would even out the fact that they would not even be at close to full strength. And what a joke if it is Metropolitan who end up winning the semi final. They did not have a game cancelled because of weather and now they should have to suffer because of something that literally had nothing to do with them? Come on.

Even in the example brought up earlier about the FVSL team that played matches on back to back days during the first round is evidence against making teams play back to back. First off, to clarify, BC Soccer did not schedule those games, they simply said that the Prov Cup game had to played over that weekend; the other match was the league cup final which was the FVSL's to schedule. Regardless, the point is that Langley Dynamo, who had to play the two games, had nothing left in the tank for the second day and were well beaten. Is that how we want Provincial Cup finals? Supposedly you want teams at their best to put on the best possible spectacle...

As I mentioned before, if it is Metro against Serbia for the B Cup I am sure BC Soccer will play it on the Mainland. If Gorge make it, because it is the Island's year to host and there is already a Gorge team in the Women's B final, I would expect BC Soccer to play both finals back to back in Victoria (not Nanaimo).

It's lame, yes. Could and should their have been contingencies so that BC Soccer was not forced to scramble when a match could not be played? Yes. That is the part that speaks to them not realizing how important these finals are to the soccer community at large. To their credit they said that if Graduates had beaten Gorge then that semi could have gone midweek against Metro to keep things on track. As it is though, credit to Gorge who remain undefeated this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts