Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 BC Masters Provincial A Cup Draw, discussion, banter and results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
CowichanPrezidente do you know when and where the 49ers game vs Columbus is scheduled? It looks like all of the other games are set up, but not this one yet...?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok then. Looks like Canucks 4ever was 4 for 4 in the knockout round. Quarter final predictions now:

Cowichan 49ers (VISL) vs Columbus (VMSL). David Williams Turf Saturday 400 PM. Cowichan have been the cream of the VISL Masters for a couple of years now, but haven't made a big impact in the Provincial tournament. Columbus are young fast and dangerous and probably as talented a team as any in this tournament. Traditionally, and ironically for a team called Columbus when you think of it, they do not like to travel. Columbus could rack up a ton of goals in any game. They beat UVic 2-0 and handled them easily in the first round. But that was in Vancouver, and that trip to the Island for that Saturday afternoon game is a killer. I am going to go Cowichan 3 Columbus 2 in an upset on the Island.

PCOV (VMSL) vs Port Moody Rangers (FVSL). Van Tech Turf 830 PM Friday. This is a match between the Masters Cup winners in the VMSL and FVSL. PCOV got a bye based on a gift of a 1-0 win over West Van in the VMSL Cup final. Port Moody handled league champs Surrey United easily in the FVSL Masters Cup final 3-0, and edged FVSL rivals Temple 3-2 in the first round. Port Moody are as good a team as any in the FVSL, PCOV kind of edged into a by in the BCs but beat two very good teams to get there. I am going to say PCOV is a bit more battle-hardened, rested and in form. PCOV 2 Port Moody 1 extra time.

Metro Ford (VMSL) vs North Delta Rangers (FVSL). Town Center East Saturday 430 PM. Metro Ford won the VMSL, and are favourites to win this tournament, having been champions on several occasions in the recent past. They had a very good season, but were rudely ousted in the semi-final of the league cup by a PCOV team that put 4 past them. They are strong from back to front. North Delta cannot match the VMSL Champs who are littered with former Whitecaps etc, but they can match them in toughness and in try. I don't think this game will be as easy as some may think for the host team. They won't get upset, but it won't be easy either. Should be a great game Metro Ford 4 North Delta 3.

Surrey United (FVSL) vs West Van FC (VMSL) Cloverdale Athletic 4 noon Sunday.
These teams have actually locked horns several times over the years, and it has always been a tough, physical battle. Both teams lost in their respective Cup finals, and SU are the FVSL Champs. Surrey United have a distinct advantage as they play at home on the grass on a Sunday, and as such do not have to make the dreaded trek to the purgatory of Ambleside on a Friday at 730. Despite this, I do not see them being able to keep up with a young, healthy and physical West Van side. This will be a testy affair. West Van 3 Surrey United 1.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
3-2 final. Moody robbed. Referee went to Moody after the game and apologized for ruining the game and making a big mistake. Great match to watch. Moody with most of the pressure almost all game and pork chops were slow chasing the game for the most part but got a few bounces.

hard ballz

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3-2 final. Moody robbed. Referee went to Moody after the game and apologized for ruining the game and making a big mistake. Great match to watch. Moody with most of the pressure almost all game and pork chops were slow chasing the game for the most part but got a few bounces.

Moody was robbed?? Not sure about that. Clearly we didn’t show up to play for the first 15-20 but we got better. Unfortunately, we were down 2-0 again and made it difficult for ourselves while Port Moody player was doing cart wheels for his celebrations. I didn’t have a great few of the tackle but it didn’t look good. Either way, the ref made his decision and it was a red. Long story short, we battled back and won the game 3-2. Port Moody has a strong side and will continue to do well in the years to come.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok then. Looks like Canucks 4ever was 4 for 4 in the knockout round.

Alas, my perfect record was destroyed as I had Port Moody over PCOV. Seem to be having internet issues posting at the minute as only my U21 predicitions went up on time.

I will try to dig out my breakdowns for this round but, for the record, I have:

Cowichan
Port Moody
CMF
West Van

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With Ferry issues today, anyone know if Cowichan vs Columbus match kicked off or was postponed?

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
As we reach the quarter final stage, the final four teams enter the tournament after receiving byes through the first round. However, with the addition of the Easter break, it has made for a long time between games for some of these sides. At this age that can often either be a blessing, giving sides a chance to rest bodies, or a curse, as too much rust develops and it is difficult to get all the parts moving again. Sometimes it can be beneficial to keep the regular routine going as opposed to getting out of rhythm. Will shall if if that plays a factor at all in this round.

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s Masters A Deryl Hughes Provincial Cup

Preliminary Round: 4/4
Overall: 4/4

Quarter Finals:

Cowichan 49ers (VISL)
v ICSF Columbus (VMSL) - Saturday 4:00pm @ Sherman Road, Duncan
This one is the Match of the Round with number one from the Island plays number two from Vancouver. After their other two VISL compatriots were ousted at the first hurdle, league winners Cowichan are the only hope left for the Island. Of course, while the 49ers will always be hoping for a deep run given they come in as a league winner, this year they will be especially motivated given that the finals are in nearby Nanaimo. Certainly they will be hoping for a better fate than last season when then, as league winners as well, they were ousted at home at the first hurdle by VMSL opposition in Westside. This year the Mainland happens to be sending another club with pedigree in this competition, Columbus. The VMSL runners up dispatched a UVic Alumni team that finished dead even at the top with Cowichan 2-0 at home in their opener. This time, though, the travel shoe is on the other foot and it is the Italians who must travel to the Island. The 49ers also count Stuart Barker among their ranks and he led the VISL Masters division with a blistering 29 goals in 17 league games. He will need to be at his best against a stout that has some devent fire power in their own regard in the form of Steve Deblasio. This one looks like a saw off, so I will give it to the home side and say they will not lose at home in their opener two seasons running.

PVOC M-A (VMSL) v Port Moody Rangers (FVSL) - Friday 8:30pm @ Van Tech, Vancouver
An intriguing match here with two cup winners clashing. Port Moody looked great beating Surrey for the FVSL Masters A Cup and carried that momentum forward to beat fellow FVSL side Temple 2-1 in their first round match. PCOV rode a lovely strike and a solid defensive performance to a 1-0 win in the VMSL Masters A Cup and that win saved them the hassle of playing off against Westside for the final VMSL spot in the Provincial Cup. That spot also came with a bye, which, while already one step closer to the trophy, means PCOV have not played for a month. Port Moody are running like a well oiled machine at the minute, so they will hope that gives them the edge in this one. Alternatively, PCOV will be hoping that their cup form carries on into another knockout competition especially given their league form this season was less than inspiring, seeing them finish with a negative goal differential. It would seem like it is probably going to come down to which PCOV side turns up. The one that had a rather pedestrian league campaign or the one that romped to a VMSL Cup title. I'll go with consistency in this one though and say that Port Moody advance to the semis.

Coquitlam Metro Ford PCE (VMSL) v North Delta SC Rangers (FVSL) - Saturday 4:30pm @ Town Centre East, Coquitlam
It might get slightly ugly in this one with the VMSL champions, Coquitlam, hosting fourth place from the Valley, North Delta. ND did not exactly have a trademark season by their standards, more or less limping through most of the campaign, well behind league leaders Port Moody and Surrey. Despite a favourable draw in the first round, hosting the lowest ranked Island side, Gorge, Rangers did little to fill the casual observer with confidence, grinding out a 1-0 win. Now they are playing one of the best teams in the Province and likely a favourite for this title when all is said and done. North Delta have certainly shown in the the past that they belong going tow toe to toe with anyone who crosses their path; however, they have not really shown that this year. Unless it all magically comes together for this one, it is tough to see how the Tri-Cities side are anything other than comfortable.

Surrey United SC A (FVSL) v West Van FC (VMSL) - Sunday 12:00pm @ Cloverdale Athletic #4, Surrey
Another side coming in after a long layoff it Surrey. The FVSL champions have played just two games since February 2 and they looked very rusty in a woeful cup final loss to Port Moody. West Van have been playing plenty of football of late and got the job done in a tricky opening round draw against last season's champions Inter EDC, winning 3-2. A trip to Surrey at mid-day to play on the grass will not be ideal, but West Van will still be confident of a result. Surrey will be hoping they can return to the form that made them league champions, led by FVSL Masters Golden Boot winner Simon Crocker and his 13 goals. That cup final performance will loom large in the FVSL side's psyche though and if that is the level that can expect to turn in this weekend, then West Van are surely favourites here.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Started out bad for ND on a couple of fronts and never got any better unfortunately for them.

MF seemed to almost be in cruise control in the last 30 minutes pushing it around while the Rangers were still putting in an effort trying to make things happen, but just couldn't penetrate that last third.
One of those days for them I guess.

MF looked good I must say.

hard ballz

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That result doesn't surprise me. Two good teams and home field advantage very much the difference. A very tough place to play with good fan support. Takes a special team to win away there.

Lallz...beer and wine store is a block away around the corner. For the road trip home.

Thatta boy Smallsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0