Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I’m hearing they are performance related bonuses. If he makes a certain number of appearances etc. I have a buddy in Germany and he said it’s all over the papers.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
How awful are the caps to watch without Davies. Yesterday was embarrassing. Please burn them to the ground regardless of if this trade works out, as they need to start from scratch. Our lack of discipline this year is ridiculous. How does a player who occasionally wear an arm band lose his temper and run into the ref complaining about a non call - that is always reviewed by VAR and take a straight red. How many reds has he taken? With Davies out, I would drop the entire midfield and forward lines save maybe Mezquida. Just finish out the season playing the new homegrown signings to see if they can hack it at this level. Filipe/Juarez/Reyna/Ghazal/Tiebert aren't getting the job done.

I see them putting this through, squandering some of the spoils on a average DP that may help us with the ultimate goal of making the playoffs... rather than kicking half the team to the curb and starting fresh.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I’m hearing they are performance related bonuses. If he makes a certain number of appearances etc. I have a buddy in Germany and he said it’s all over the papers.

From Das Bild, translation by Google:

The problem: According to BILD information Vancouver demands too much from the perspective of the record champion. $ 12 million plus bonus payments of up to $ 6 million (totaling around € 15 million). In addition the MLS club wants to be involved with 15 per cent in a possible resale of Davies.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
From Das Bild, translation by Google:

The problem: According to BILD information Vancouver demands too much from the perspective of the record champion. $ 12 million plus bonus payments of up to $ 6 million (totaling around € 15 million). In addition the MLS club wants to be involved with 15 per cent in a possible resale of Davies.

I guess thats their idea of becoming a top 25 club. Watch them fcuk this up

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
they'll fcuk it up and be left with a brooding teenager, ultimately ending up with a smaller transfer fee in the long run... someone should remind the Whitecaps what happened to Edgar Martinez when he played at BC Place; don't look a gift-horse in the mouth boys...

I think the sell-on clause is smart, and the 6 million "bonus" stupid...

if you want any further evidence as to how clueless Robbo and the front office are, consider that they gave up their first rounder to acquire Kei Kamara, ostensibly on the basis that he would put them over the top... juuuuuuust a bit off in that assessment - and it's not like they can blame injuries or suspensions or rotten luck...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I really want this to happen, but not gonna lie, there is some sadness here just in not being able to see this kid / young man play live. I don't get to BC Place that often, but when I have over the last year, Davies reminds me of the early years of Pavel Bure, the way Fonzie can get you out of your seat, and on your feet, and light up the stadium.

But...I'm more excited for Alphonso than I am for the Caps here. I have zero faith the management in place can actually make hay with this transfer money. I hope ownership sees it too, and comes in with a big, wide broom. I'd leave everything under the 1st team in place, but everyone above needs to go. From there, let the new boss restructure with crystal clear instructions on how they envision this club's raison d'etre going forward.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Presuming that they don't bottle this whole thing and see it collapse over their demands (which would be irresponsible, but, sadly, not inconceivable with this management group) it will be a record fee for a player coming from MLS.

That speaks volumes to Davies potential and is surely a great advert for MLS "development" of players. Moreover though, because he qualifies as a homegrown player, the majority, if not all, of the transfer fee should be coming to the Whitecaps. I will confess that the MLS transfer rules are so convoluted that it is tough to follow at times but still, this represents a massive cash injection into the club and they have a real opportunity to restructure and reinvigorate a team that is, to put it colloquially, growing stale in this market.

It will take smarts however, because 15M (or whatever the sum ends up being) is not enough to buy half a dozen all stars that can just go win you championships. That being said, if you ship a few others out, there is a decent bit of money to lay out a new foundation for actual success. Agreed though, I don't trust a single person in this management to execute this, first and foremost Lenarduzzi. Respect the man if you want for what he accomplished as a player for the Caps and Canada and there is no question he helped keep this franchise afloat during some dark days in the pre-MLS era. However, as an MLS executive, he has proven, time and again, to be woefully inadequate. It feels like because of the aura he has created for himself he is perceived to be this untouchable and infallible god of soccer in Vancouver. Sorry, this is a results based business and no one is irreplaceable. Until there is some new blood in the front office that are actually empowered to put their stamp on this team though, I can't see anything actually changing for this franchise and it's position in both the league and this market.

Best of luck to Davies though, this is what dreams are made of. Can't imagine how disillusioned he would be if the Whitecaps fumble this one and cost him his chance...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why sell to the first bidder?
By now most of the world knows that one of the top teams in football is interested in Davies and the Caps can possibly get what they're asking for.(?)

Most transfer windows close at the end of August. Could another team come in and swoop the kid for even more money? 18million isn't that much in today's game.(maybe a bit much for a kid)

League(s) Opened Closes
Premier League/EFL May 17- August 9
France June 1- August 31
Germany June 1- August 31
Italy June 1 - August 31
Spain June 1- August 31

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don’t believe it’s the first bidder. Many teams were interested and following Davies. Perhaps it’s the team with a good fit for Davies. Where he will learn and grow. Perhaps a better option then England.

This team is frustrating. For sure. They go buy a bunch of C+ players and then we all expect success. I honestly think Robo is doing his best with what he has.
He had all the guys in the right spots last couple matches correct? Nobody can call him out on that. Started your beloved Reyna in the 10 spot etc etc.

Reyna is such a farce. Flashes of brilliance here and there. But no where near a proper playmaking attacker.

Worldwide, for top teams to have success they spend boat loads of money and buy the top talent. Top managers openly say they need better players to win. Conte at Chelsea didn’t improve the squad in the transfer market as his owners sold Matic etc last season. He openly was frustrated. And now no longer there.

Mourinho are Man U. Needed money and players. Top managers. Need top players. Any team needs top players to win and be successful. A coach can do everything in the books, but if the players don’t have the desire or skill level, you simply are not winning.

We could go get Conte here at the whitecaps and he will not make a differences. One bit. You need players to execute what the coach is wanting. Period.

But in saying that, one thing that I see under Robo that needs to change is the player discipline. Too many red cards. And I think that starts with him and how he constantly is in the refs ear. That spreads through to the players.

But what do we expect. We always get guys after they have peaked. Brek Shea, Kamara, Juarez, Mutch, are all roll the dice guys. All great past resumes. But from years ago.

And I have said this before. But the turn over year over year is hard to connect to. Our whole spine changes every year. Our whole midfield is new other then RT who barely plays.
And next year it will be new again. A new striker I am sure too. Have we had a striker that stayed for over a year? Camillo maybe?

Always a new striker that we all hope can bring us goals. No franchise top player that sticks with the club. Maybe Waston. But even him, undisciplined and shakey some games.

In conclusion, we need players. In their prime or on their way to it. Not the opposite.
We can switch the coach 20 times over. But with the players we have, it will Be the same result.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
In your opinion, how does Davies integrate in to the Bayern team?
Surely the first team is ultra competitive on the wings with Ribery,Robben,Coman,Mueller(?).
Does he spend most of the season with the second team?
Does he make the bench and come in for a few minutes left in games or even used just in Cup play?
Does he get loaned out?

I guess my questions is...is it better for Davies to be slowly introduced to the European game or is it better for him to play a lot right off the bat because that's not gonna happen at Bayern imo.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Of course he won't play at Bayren straight away, but remember, the kid is still only 17. He will go into their development system, which will be way better than any development that he has had up until this point in his career, and then it will be on him to earn his minutes. If he is performing well in training and U23 games, etc. I am sure his first team debut won't be too far away in maybe the German Cup. If he is the phenom that everyone expects him to be I am sure it won't take him long. Alternatively he can be loaned out. As it is he won't be eligible to play until January anyway, so hopefully he can continue to play first team minutes with the Caps until then.

As for the competition, Robben just signed a one year extension which makes him and Ribery both on expiring deals this year and they will be 35 and 36 respectively next summer. Not sure what Bayern are planning with James; it was a two year loan from Real, so he will be at Munich again this season, but with Ronaldo gone who knows what Real are thinking for the future. If James lights it up for Bayern this season they could well bring him back to play a role in Madrid. I'm sure Bayern are keen to keep him beyond that, but it is not up to them as I don't believe there is a clause where they can unilaterally make the deal permanent.

That leaves Gnabry and Coleman, plus whatever other academy prospects Munich have in the pipeline, for Davies to compete with and compete he will have to. This is Europe and the Bundesliga and the Champions League, etc., etc. There are no free passes. Could he go to Huddersfield, or elsewhere and play more first team minutes sooner? Maybe, but it is tough to resist the lights of the big boys. For me though, getting chances to be involved with a top tier outfit like Bayern at his age and have guys like Robben and Ribery mentor you and, perhaps, play alongside the likes of Vidal and James and Lewandowski, even just in training, would be invaluable.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I caught part of the @AFTN radio show last night and my god what a discussion about the status of Brek Shea...

The way it was explained:

Brek's DP contract had some kind of extension *if* he played a certain number of matches in 2017. Coaching staff didn't really want to keep him around (at least not on a DP level salary), so they discussed with the bean counters at Whitecaps about what limits to put on his playing time to prevent the DP contract extension kicking in. They stuck to those limits in MLS, but were advised by management that "cup matches didn't count" and played him freely in voyageurs cup.

Well turns out cup matches did count, and playing those matches pushed him over the minimum for the contract to kick in. And now we have Brek Shea DP for 2018 :banghead:

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I caught part of the @AFTN radio show last night and my god what a discussion about the status of Brek Shea...

The way it was explained:

Brek's DP contract had some kind of extension *if* he played a certain number of matches in 2017. Coaching staff didn't really want to keep him around (at least not on a DP level salary), so they discussed with the bean counters at Whitecaps about what limits to put on his playing time to prevent the DP contract extension kicking in. They stuck to those limits in MLS, but were advised by management that "cup matches didn't count" and played him freely in voyageurs cup.

Well turns out cup matches did count, and playing those matches pushed him over the minimum for the contract to kick in. And now we have Brek Shea DP for 2018 :banghead:
Hahahahaha!!!! I would seriously rather have the kid who plays football manager 18 in his folks basement, run this team. It’s so poorly ran, that it’s actually hilarious. I can’t even count the number of people who said they’re not renewing tickets next year.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I chose not to renew mine at the end of last season. Haven't regretted it in the slightest.
I chose not renew 2 years back. Couldn’t have been happier win the decision. Only been to a couple games since, spent most of it with good company, drinking beers as that was the only positivity in the stadium.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hard to commit to an ever changing group of players. Does any of them have a true connection to the city or fans? It’s a revolving door. Caps need to do a better job at getting some franchise players and marketing them. As they did with Ousted. And he had the fans to show for it.

I don’t have seasons. It’s just easier to go when you can go and find some cheap tickers. Never sold out. So why over commit before the season even starts!

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
But wasn’t Tim Parker a bit of , he wanted to move on, and he was asking for quite a bit of money?

Felipe isn’t really doing the job. And our backline seems weaker cause of it.
Waston needs to get back to form and shoring it up. World Cup success or not. Caps pay the bills for him. I feel he has been a zero factor this season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts