Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No need to be hard on yourself. It is a very normal to want to feel part of a group
You see how you are? You too @Dude :)

And @mtkb your comments on RT are bang on. And for someone with zero creativity to assist the team, he is DREADFUL as a tackler. Backs out of 50/50 bouncing head-height balls, bails out of tough on the ground tackles...he does this weird spin leave a heel in thing...and was completely responsible for the second Dallas goal today after missing yet another very winnable challenge as they countered. F*ck me if you can't create then you better get stuck in to your tackles. Pozer.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
You see how you are? You too @Dude :)

And @mtkb your comments on RT are bang on. And for someone with zero creativity to assist the team, he is DREADFUL as a tackler. Backs out of 50/50 bouncing head-height balls, bails out of tough on the ground tackles...he does this weird spin leave a heel in thing...and was completely responsible for the second Dallas goal today after missing yet another very winnable challenge as they countered. F*ck me if you can't create then you better get stuck in to your tackles. Pozer.

Blondell needlessly gives the ball away to start the play on their second goal. RT fouls Díaz but doesn’t take him down. Waston cheats too much and leaves his mark open for the goal but yeah...all RT’s fault.

Not the strongest game for RT or Levi imo.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
MLS has a number of teams that simply go through the motions in terms of managements. They field a team that can be considered competitive and are happy with it. There are several clubs in the MLS that use the structure and have built fantastic programs bringing in players or developing them. I think most of Dallas's team comes from their residency programs.

TFC is the model franchise. Yes people talk about the big money they spent on their top 3, but they seem to have a solid development pipeline as well. On Friday they started 4 Canadians, Osorio (25) Hamilton (22) Telfer (24), Chapman (24) and brought 2 on as subs Fraser (19) and Ricketts. Think the CPL will have much more trouble catching on in Toronto and surrounding area because of this, Toronto plays an exciting winning game, and plays young Canadians.

There are 2 camps on this 1)fans that want to watch the highest quality soccer 2)fans that want to develop local talent. Whitecaps fail on both fronts, and are ripe for attendance declines. When the attendance drops - what will they do? Shrug there shoulders and blame the fans? lower the "number the have to work within" If the whitecaps were smart, they would start cleaning house now prior to letting the CPL get a foot hold in their market. Crazy they would drop their develop program/residency team knowing that a 2nd pro team was going to jump into the market. It's like they're handing the CPL a easier playing field.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
MLS has a number of teams that simply go through the motions in terms of managements. They field a team that can be considered competitive and are happy with it. There are several clubs in the MLS that use the structure and have built fantastic programs bringing in players or developing them. I think most of Dallas's team comes from their residency programs.

TFC is the model franchise. Yes people talk about the big money they spent on their top 3, but they seem to have a solid development pipeline as well. On Friday they started 4 Canadians, Osorio (25) Hamilton (22) Telfer (24), Chapman (24) and brought 2 on as subs Fraser (19) and Ricketts. Think the CPL will have much more trouble catching on in Toronto and surrounding area because of this, Toronto plays an exciting winning game, and plays young Canadians.

There are 2 camps on this 1)fans that want to watch the highest quality soccer 2)fans that want to develop local talent. Whitecaps fail on both fronts, and are ripe for attendance declines. When the attendance drops - what will they do? Shrug there shoulders and blame the fans? lower the "number the have to work within" If the whitecaps were smart, they would start cleaning house now prior to letting the CPL get a foot hold in their market. Crazy they would drop their develop program/residency team knowing that a 2nd pro team was going to jump into the market. It's like they're handing the CPL a easier playing field.

My prior post to my last was a long winded one that went in to exactly what you’re saying with the TFC development of Canadian players until reception cut it off short. Haha
But spot on man!
Both Telfer and Chapman score in their win vs a good Orlando city side sans Gio and Joze.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

You are making very good points about Toronto FC. They start more Canadians, and they actually play effective soccer and a style that can help Canada and Canadians to succeed in Concacaf. Many in the Mexican and Argentinean press consider Toronto as the team that best played in the Champions League cycle. They thought that it deserved to be in the World Club Cup Final. I think that not many people realize the achievement of Toronto FC as they really outplayed strong teams in the area. They can provide a possible blueprint for success for the Canadian National Team.
With the Montreal Impact they were very harsh, but with Toronto they recognized the superiority of the Canadian Team.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are 2 camps on this 1)fans that want to watch the highest quality soccer 2)fans that want to develop local talent. Whitecaps fail on both fronts, and are ripe for attendance declines.

This.

If you are going to settle for mediocrity at least have the decency to field a heavily Canadian line up. It's not that hard to imagine that Canadians would be capable of playing the roles currently occupied by players like Nerwinski/Mezquida/Techera/etc. Nothing against those players personally, but they are journymen professionals who, while capable enough at this level, are not going to be the centrepieces of a championship calibre team. Surely there are young Canadians that could occupy those rolls and develop. At least when they made mistakes people would likely to be quicker to forgive as part of the development process.

It would be one thing if they were a top side competing annually for the title. However, they seem to have demonstrated that they will not be spending the money to compete at the top and are happy just treading water. This league badly needs relegation to punish the Stoke Cities of the world who are content to do just enough every season. I understand why it will never happen because soccer in this market is still fledgling and owners in MLS could not stomach being out of the show. Perhaps though, as MLS expansion continues and if the CPL can be successful over is first 5-10 years, maybe we can reach that point.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

(wish the whitecaps would take some lessons from Toronto FC).
Chivas is the only team in the Mexican league that EXCLUSIVELY plays Mexican players. It really can be done; playing with only local players forces the team to play in a group and not to rely on one or two stars.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
When the attendance drops - what will they do?
What will they do? Obviously they will cover up the upper sections of the lower bowl and create an "intimate atmosphere" for the remaining fans:rolleyes:

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I actually thought it was hard to blame RT for either goal... he's caught napping on the quick free kick, but that happens. And he actually makes an excellent, FORWARD pass to Blondell, who promptly gives it away and puts RT in an awful position... I thought he did as well as he could to harass the Dallas player without conceding a foul, which perhaps he should have done assuming he wasn't on a yellow.

Re The Whitecaps and the revamped CSL; I mean no more than to reference the Whitecaps convincing the CSA that it's not in anyone's interest for the Whitecaps to have to deal with such competition...

As for Foucault, your "he wasn't a Marxist or a Communist!" response is as predictable as what would happen if his ideas, communist or not, were put into practice. I have not idea where my "privilege" comes into this, or how you've decided that I apparently have some, except that I disagree with you which is a sure a way as any to have that label dropped on my head... Kind of the reason people run from nutters like you and vote for Trump en masse...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This.

If you are going to settle for mediocrity at least have the decency to field a heavily Canadian line up. It's not that hard to imagine that Canadians would be capable of playing the roles currently occupied by players like Nerwinski/Mezquida/Techera/etc. Nothing against those players personally, but they are journymen professionals who, while capable enough at this level, are not going to be the centrepieces of a championship calibre team. Surely there are young Canadians that could occupy those rolls and develop. At least when they made mistakes people would likely to be quicker to forgive as part of the development process.

It would be one thing if they were a top side competing annually for the title. However, they seem to have demonstrated that they will not be spending the money to compete at the top and are happy just treading water. This league badly needs relegation to punish the Stoke Cities of the world who are content to do just enough every season. I understand why it will never happen because soccer in this market is still fledgling and owners in MLS could not stomach being out of the show. Perhaps though, as MLS expansion continues and if the CPL can be successful over is first 5-10 years, maybe we can reach that point.

Thank you.

The club has lost it's identity and mission.

Actually, did they ever have one?

Seems that at one point, their mission was to develop Canadian talent through their residency program and promote through the levels, yet...the pathways dies as soon as any Canadian (it seems) signs a deal with the 1st team. Does anyone even know David Norman Jr. is a 1st team player now? Not even a sniff, so what's the point? Simon Colyn...young guy, 16. They promoted him for a reason...why, exactly? He must be something special if they signed him at 16...so if he is, don't they need to push him forward? Roll the dice, get him into a match? I imagine he's training w/ the first team full time, but he's 16! Doesn't he need competition to progress? Seems to me if you truly have professional aspirations and you are a Canadian youth player, the worst thing you can do is sign w/ the Whitecaps. It's a dead end road for Canadians, no matter how well they shine at the residency levels.

Did anyone know the Caps still show Bustos on the 1st team? At least they mention he's on loan, but where, and is he progressing?

"Nothing against those players personally, but they are journymen professionals who, while capable enough at this level, are not going to be the centrepieces of a championship calibre team. Surely there are young Canadians that could occupy those rolls and develop."
I feel like I'm in holding in terms of who I offer my support to until the CPL starts.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have been watching a lot of MLS games this season on PVR. Mainly TFC and Whitecaps.

What i have noticed is many teams in the MLS are now bringing in better skilled players at younger ages. The league has gotten better. It is very evident this year.

On the flip side it feels like the Whitecaps are still stuck in the MLS of 3-4 years ago, which was a much more athletic league with much less skill.

Not saying that the league is not still a athletic based league, but there has been a improvement in skilled soccer players joining the league.

The Caps were able to get away with using Athletic players before and fit right in. The league is trending away from that now and you can see it game by game.

Unless they start to bring in some skilled players, they are going to fall further behind as the MLS is changing and changing very quick and the old athletic run and gun soccer is becoming a thing of the past. Before teams had one or two skilled players surrounded by American NCAA Track Stars. Now you have more skilled players coming and the less and less track stars. This trend is going to continue.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I actually thought it was hard to blame RT for either goal... he's caught napping on the quick free kick, but that happens. And he actually makes an excellent, FORWARD pass to Blondell, who promptly gives it away and puts RT in an awful position... I thought he did as well as he could to harass the Dallas player without conceding a foul, which perhaps he should have done assuming he wasn't on a yellow.

Re The Whitecaps and the revamped CSL; I mean no more than to reference the Whitecaps convincing the CSA that it's not in anyone's interest for the Whitecaps to have to deal with such competition...

As for Foucault, your "he wasn't a Marxist or a Communist!" response is as predictable as what would happen if his ideas, communist or not, were put into practice. I have not idea where my "privilege" comes into this, or how you've decided that I apparently have some, except that I disagree with you which is a sure a way as any to have that label dropped on my head... Kind of the reason people run from nutters like you and vote for Trump en masse...
The previous two posts of @Gurps and @Dude have well thought points and observations. Yes, a few teams have improved in the MLS, still the model is flawed and the style of play of the OVERALL league very limited. Lets not forget that the USA got eliminated from the World Cup. Lets not forget that this missed qualification exposes the reality of the MLS (they could not beat Trinidad and got schooled by tiny countries).

Lets hope that the future Canadian Soccer League does not seek to replicate or use a guiding star this.

Canadian soccer should look for its own identity and way to play for the conditions of Concacaf.

As for @mtkb, yes of course, I had to point out that you are incorrect in your assumption that Foucault's thought is Communist and Marxist, and I also have to correct you on your claim that he proposed of an ideal social model for the functioning of our current scientific and technological societies. You might want to read him again. He simply analized the way power is exerted and controlled by different groups.

Having said this, the failure of the MLS and to some degree Canadian soccer is that many people who are in the position of power do not see the sport as a way of realizing human potential, self expression, creativity, freedom of the individual and autonomous and spontaneous associations between player. Rather the sports is seen as an opportunity to pass specific values or to put it bluntly as a form of indoctrination of the youth and those who observe the game (i.e. specially bourgeoisie and upper class views). The game is simply a way to teach conformity and making people used to the imposition of coercion and authority figures. This is something that I have been trying to point out to you guys since my arrival to the TTP. The Canadian Soccer League is a great idea, and I hope the Whitecaps joins it eventually, but we have to go beyond this. We need to tranform our view and conceptualization of the game; otherwise, we are just recreating a miniature MLS. In case you do not want to read Focault or Chomsky, then I put the video for you. This is the crux of the problem in Canadian soccer.
Clubs like Barcelona or Bayern or Boca or countries like Brazil put the emphasis on the development of the human (the player) and the development of the team comes later.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
once we teach the players to self express and give them the freedom for autonomous association in the field then we will be in the right direction. This is really where we are failing (and the Whitecaps by a byproduct).

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
we also have to bring our players from the poorest and marginalized sectors of society nor from cushy middle class houses. This combination of giving freedom of the expression and rough and tough backgounds makes superb athletes. Any sport and adversary is usually dominated by guys who have this combination. From Chocalatito Gonzalez, Pacquiao to Maradona, Ronaldo and Messi, the story is the same.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another disappointing draw. These games are so hard to watch, and to be honest utterly depressing. After watching an exciting UEFA Champions Final featuring some of the best soccer in the planet, I have to watch a team stuck in the Paleolithic soccer era. For a while, I thought that I was watching a volleyball game l9kKbxb.gif

or perhaps a Gaelic football game....

I am not kidding about it. The ball was so much flying in the air and there was no rhyme or reason for the passes and tackles that it took me a while to confirm that this indeed was a soccer game.

On the plus side, the three goals from Techera are a confirmation that is not size or height the main factors that make an effective soccer player, but decision making. All of them were superb and well timed runs. The first goal was particularly good for him because he ran towards the empty space that the back line offered, which was counterintuitive. Most players would have made a different run out of habit.

It is clear that the Whitecaps have been practicing these crosses to the back post. The issue is that although the goals seem flashy, these types of attack do not work against a well organized and disciplined back line. This is not to belittle the intelligence of Techera, because he exploited the movements of defenders that behaved like amateur players. Even a top VMSL team has more structure.

As bad as the defense of the Revolution was, the Whitecaps defending was more atrocious. The coach is responsible for this. The first goal was the result of bad positioning among the defenders and suboptimal standing by the center back. Robbo expressed that the centre back was not quick enough, but this is misleading. He is responsible for not rehearsing a way to neutralize a back pass. The players are not to blame on this goal.

The second goal was horrific error on the part of the defender, the midfielder and the goalie. Poor passing in the midfield. Then the defender kicks the ball on the path of the attacker. Then the goalie does not close the angle. Perhaps the result of inexperience of all of the them.

The third goal was the worst. The result of a comedy of errors. The ball is regained and like a bunch of kids rather than transitioning into attack, they themselves bring the ball to the most dangerous area and tangled themselves, of course they lose the ball. They are caught disorganized with their pants down. No pressure is put on the guy with the ball who has at least three seconds to make a killer pass between the two ball watching centre defenders.

A very rudimentary way of defending by the Whitecaps. No wonder why the USA did not make it to the world cup this year, and Canada of course got eliminated, but even managed to get drawn by Belize.

Seriously guys, lower division teams in Europe score way better goals than the Whitecaps.

Do not keep drinking the cool aid. You deserve better soccer.
download-6.jpg l9kKbxb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts