Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
From this article: http://aftn.ca/whitecaps-front-offi...-questions-and-concerns-at-town-hall-meeting/

– Robbo talked about some of the difficulties in landing players for here. Mentioned that people say why don’t you bring UK players over and he talked about how much they’re paid there and ‘Caps can’t compete with that. Also talked about players having a false worth sometimes over there because their salary perhaps doesn’t match their talent. Said trying to sell the travel to some players has also been tough

– Pretty sure someone said final decision on who comes here lies with Robbo

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
then build through the draft... as much as I love what Kamara brings, not having a first is really going to sting...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@mtkb do you really trust Whitecaps staff to make good 1st round draft picks anyway? With the exception of Parker, their record is pretty shambolic.

Salgado over Nagbe.... :banghead:

Nanchoff, Mattocks, Manneh, Hurtado, Dean, Seiler, Nerwinski, Fiddes

I think the only one having any success is Mattocks, and it's taken him 3 teams and 7 years to finally put it all together.
Nerwinski may still come good, but at the moment seems to have lost his place to 33 yr old Sean Franklin.

At this point the value of the draft diminishes year after year. Most of the good young players coming into the league are on homegrown contracts which means they are coming through MLS academies, which is just another thing that the Whitecaps can't seem to get right.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
if you're not going to spend the money to bring in the requisite quality of internationals, then what option do you have? you've gotta be better than your opponents at something to win...

and yes, Salgado over Nagbe was comically incompetent at the time...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
if you're not going to spend the money to bring in the requisite quality of internationals, then what option do you have? you've gotta be better than your opponents at something to win...

and yes, Salgado over Nagbe was comically incompetent at the time...

The draft seems to me to be the third best option to finding talent. How many have worked out for the Caps? Three, and that's counting Mattocks?

I'd say, ideally, your internal pathways should be your best options for talent. Your academy, then graduate them to your 2nd division squad for seasoning. From there, actually make an attempt to play your young 1st teamers in matches.

Oh, wait....

You are correct, the draft may be their best option. They aren't buyers, and so far have shown absolutely inept at developing their homegrown talent...with the exception of the winning lottery ticket in AD...who I feel nearly any half decent professional squad would be able to develop.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
watching Atlanta - Seattle right now... there are talented players available in the draft - Gressel and Roldan being two chief examples, having gone 8th and 16th overall respectively... the Whitecaps just don't ever find them, despite having had boatloads of picks higher than that... the one they could really claim to be a successful selection, Tim Parker, was traded for cents on the dollar because, yet again, they decided to be cheap... DC United are tragic and yet the Whitecaps were outclassed yesterday... New England must be salivating at having their 1st rounder in the upcoming draft...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yep sounds like a done deal...15M to Bayern. Congrats to the kid, I hope he doesnt get lost in the shuffle over there.

Sounds like because of his age the Caps get to keep him until the end of the year, so see him while you can!

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
He may have already played his last game as a Whitecap. While his age prevents him from completing the transfer and registering as a Bayern player, I believe he could still go over there to get acclimatized, do some training, and take some German lessons.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hope this is true, what a great club to go to. Super stoked for the kid, a bit sad that there is a chance we won't see him in WFC colors again, but just means I need to support and follow Bayern now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is he a homegrown designated player? If so, 100% of the fee goes to the Caps, yes?

Correct.

For me, I'd like to see a clean slate: fire Robo and FO, reinvest in a high end manager with a clear focus on transitioning those academy players with potential into the 1st team...not parking them till they rot. Bring in one or two high end designated players, sprinkle with good but mid priced MLS talent, and academy depth. Actually commit to developing players, not winning fcuking lottery tickets. If not, they'll ruin Theo Blair, too.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps apparently now want 12m and a 6m bonus. If the caps fcuk this up, I may have to burn down their head office. I really hope it works out for Davies, Caps are a lost cause.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Caps apparently now want 12m and a 6m bonus. If the caps fcuk this up, I may have to burn down their head office. I really hope it works out for Davies, Caps are a lost cause.

Where are you reading this?

I agree, will bring my pitchfork to finish the job.

Question: since he can’t move till he’s 18, would this deal include some sort of loan back to the Caps to finish the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts