Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I saw the game intermittently on live streaming and missed all the goals, except the penalty. Great drama....score and go into overtime, a save and win....legendary stuff as someone was going to be gutted. Funny listening to the commentary in last 10 minutes after Langley took 2-1 lead, as the commentators had Langley break the Provincial Cup curse, thanked FVSL president Hleucka, FVSL legend Mills, Wagner, Keem, Parker, Rohla everyone and anyone.......Langley's big fella looked like a handful, but Langley was fatiguing, and overtime was inevitable even before the red. 2nd half of overtime could have made it look much worse as it could have been, 6 or 7.

Congratulations to the Canes, promotion, relegation, mergers, Millar, CCB, through it all....you stuck together and finally got one!! Anklebreaker, it only took 20 years to finally get one!!! Enjoy the night. Well done to both teams on a competitive final.

Is it official, or is there an ITC protest in the works!? ;-)

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got home and watched the stream from about the 55th minute.

One way traffic for the VMSL side after Langley scored the go ahead goal.

I’m a neutral in this final and it didn’t matter to me who won but the time wasting incorporated by Langley to see out the win kind made me want BCT to win. Having said that, I would have done the same. Haha

Before the pk, Soolsma should have levelled it up with a few minutes to go but shot it right at the keeper from in close. The pk looked to be a good call imo.

#14 and #15 were instrumental for BCT in the midfield. Probably the difference makers in this one for me. The reintroduction of Pavi was like having an extra man..dudes got pace!

Langley’s goal scorer was a handful on the day but their attacks seemed too premeditated and focused on him. He tired out big time but put in a good shift for sure.

Congrats to both teams. Hoping BCT can take home the Nationals!

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny listening to the commentary in last 10 minutes after Langley took 2-1 lead, as the commentators had Langley break the Provincial Cup curse, thanked FVSL president Hleucka, FVSL legend Mills, Wagner, Keem, Parker, Rohla everyone and anyone......

Lol...I mean it was done and dusted wasn't it?

Looks like the FVSL Twitter feed came unglued on Pavi haha. I thought he should have been booked for kicking the ball away early in ET but he did the old "I couldn't hear the whistle" routine and it was 2-2 at the time so not like he was trying to gain a major advantage. The idea that he then would have pulled a Techera/Hassli when he scored the winner on the next attack and got himself sent off for taking off his shirt is a little farfetched. I guess maybe he would have lost his head, it was a big goal after all, but I think it's more likely that he just would have remained fully clothed. To suggest that he should have been sent off by that point so as to have never been in position to create the foul that saw Hicks sent off is just pure lunacy. I get the frustration though, I am honestly still struggling to process how that game turned around as well!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A yellow there would have been chinsy. Besides, had he had a yellow at the goal point he wouldn’t have taken off his shirt to burn another. Way far fetched.

The commentary was driving me bananas, because it was not done. It was attack after attack and if you’ve been in those games sometimes it’s all you can do to hold on. Seconds short. One better clearance, one ball knocked to the corner. I hate this term but.....fine lines.

deleted-dope

Not Bright
Jan 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Tough break for langley no doubt .the played a lot of d and I'm sure their legs were burning a bit. The foul was tough but none the less it was a foul and deserving of the pk .feel bad for them, but that's sports and that's how they go sometimes

Can we quit with saying the fvsl gap is closing on vmsl. I mean yes langley looked good but until teams have to play that level week in and week out every week, we can't compare the 2. In 1 off games yes the valley can look really good I agree. But ask league winning delta (a good valley team that year) about playing vmsl each week. Gap still far apart .

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's what I cobbled together highlights wise. I hadn't planned on filming anything since there was a stream, so hadn't been recording the match up to Rovers Tigers opener. But was pissing about testing the zoom and caught Soolsma's first so thought what the hell, may as well just keep filming here and there now. Means I don't have Gindo's opener so apologies for that, but here's the rest.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's what I cobbled together highlights wise. I hadn't planned on filming anything since there was a stream, so hadn't been recording the match up to Rovers Tigers opener. But was pissing about testing the zoom and caught Soolsma's first so thought what the hell, may as well just keep filming here and there now. Means I don't have Gindo's opener so apologies for that, but here's the rest.

The penalty is at 3:06...nothing "dubious" or "gifted" about it IMO.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You gotta understand that at that point BCT had the kitchen sink and all the plumbing thrown in up front. It was wave after desperate wave, and I forgot the name of the lad who drew the PK, but he was very smart to drive into the box and invite contact, but added to that, he was really jinky. He really made a difference down that right side.

Just re-watched for the first time, so my recollection was nearly spot on, he did drive the box, but possession lost then retried again inside the 18, and sure enough, took an attacking touch and the legs came out. Gotta feel for the fullback, the left and right wingers for BCT were causing problems all match, and Langley did well to limit the damage they could do almost long enough.

Soolsma was quality, for sure, and deserves accolades, but I would think they key to limiting what he does is limiting the service to him...and that indeed seems like it is the tougher challenge on this BTC squad. The do look to Soolsma, but just as easily, they will look to have a go themselves. Not a one-dimensional attack at all. A lot of weapons, and to have a quality player like NS, who has such great fitness, finishing, and vision with his off-the-ball movement, that's a massive undertaking for what'd I'd figure is any squad in the VMSL.

Congrats again to both teams, I wish the results were different, but you provided a very worthy final in what was an (unfortunately) overshadowed year.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you everyone that has pm’d me or texted me with congratulations. Especially to Dave Heulka and Thomas Mills. Nothing but class from Thomas to come up to congratulate me and my team. To Mike Wagner and Rob Keam it was very hard for me to see them lose as I consider them very deserving for their hard work. Brilliant game plan that just fell short.

Your keeper was brilliant great shot stopper and your team played with heart.

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to Sapperton big win for you guys!!!

Langley looked decent probably the best valley team that I have seen play. I personally I don't think they would of beat Rinos if they would of played them in quarters. Nonetheless, it was a cracker of a final my little young ones enjoyed every second of it.

It would of been fun to see 2 tiger teams play each other (Rinos Tigers vs Sapperton Tigers) maybe they could brought real tigers for a half time show.....just a thought for the entertainment.

Good luck in nationals!!!

Reactions: GoF

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Langley looked decent probably the best valley team that I have seen play. I personally I don't think they would of beat Rinos if they would of played them in quarters. Nonetheless, it was a cracker of a final my little young ones enjoyed every second of it.

It would of been fun to see 2 tiger teams play each other (Rinos Tigers vs Sapperton Tigers) maybe they could brought real tigers for a half time show.....just a thought for the entertainment.

And there it is.

From what I see, BCT basically dominated the VMSL Premier league. They beat everyone at least once, scored a boatload of goals in doing so, had the highest goal differential, and really the only big points they dropped were late in the season when they pretty much had the season wrapped up. They beat Rino's 4-1 & 3-1. Langley leads them 2-1 literally to the last kick of the Provincial final, and it takes a last second PK to steal away a win from Langley.

I watched the game, and yes, there was a clear possession advantage, and if that were a best of 7, maybe BCT wins it 4 games - 1...but it wasn't. It was a one-off, and Langley came in with a plan, missing their striker I believe, and nearly played it to perfection....from what I see better than nearly any team maybe outside Peg this season. You think they couldn't;t have game planned against Rino's? You did see how the Inter match went, right?

Unreal....

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
And there it is.

From what I see, BCT basically dominated the VMSL Premier league. They beat everyone at least once, scored a boatload of goals in doing so, had the highest goal differential, and really the only big points they dropped were late in the season when they pretty much had the season wrapped up. They beat Rino's 4-1 & 3-1. Langley leads them 2-1 literally to the last kick of the Provincial final, and it takes a last second PK to steal away a win from Langley.

I watched the game, and yes, there was a clear possession advantage, and if that were a best of 7, maybe BCT wins it 4 games - 1...but it wasn't. It was a one-off, and Langley came in with a plan, missing their striker I believe, and nearly played it to perfection....from what I see better than nearly any team maybe outside Peg this season. You think they couldn't;t have game planned against Rino's? You did see how the Inter match went, right?

Unreal....

Quick fact check there as Rovers failed to beat Croatia or Peg during the league season (though I suppose they did beat Peg in Provincials). They did have the best goal difference (by one) though it is not like they blew everyone out of the water neither having the highest goals for nor the fewest goals against. Very good team though and definitely the VMSL's best this season.

Not sure this was quite the troll that you are making it out to be, it was just stating that we will never know what would have happened between Rino's and Langley and it is fair to speculate either way. Rino's was inconsistent all season, depending how much of their all-star SFU lineup was available. By your logic, Rino's, who beat Aldergrove 6-0, should have had no problem with Langley who failed to beat Aldergrove at all three times of asking this season.

Langley executed brilliantly against Rovers and were full value for the win that got so cruelly ripped away from them. If he clears the ball instead of committing the foul, the final whistle blows and Langley lift the trophy. Rovers, however, are also full value for their performance as they never gave up and then found another gear entirely in extra time before Hicks was sent off and the game essentially ended as a contest.

IMO the team with best chance of bringing the National title home to BC is going to Saskatchewan. Langley would have been worthy champions and represented the Province wonderfully, but Rovers have so much skill and depth that I think they have to be certainly one of, if not the, favourites to win at Thanksgiving.

The FVSL gets a rough ride in the soccer community and on this forum in particular. Personally, I think that the debate and partisan nature of the argument are great because it is easily relatable, an "us v. them" concept, and that makes it easy to sell to those that might otherwise be indifferent. It generates buzz and that is, also IMO, good for the game at this level.

Anyway, all I'm saying is maybe let @lego3 off the hook on this one, I'm sure there are several more worthy candidates on here for your ire :dude:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Check your facts again. They took their foot off the pedal for the last three games. 13 GA, 3 GF over the last three games, all losses, one a 5-0 loss to Inter of all teams. They had the league wrapped up by Feb 16th by the looks of it. They appear to have dominated the league, going through the weekly results. Few teams seem to have given them a lot of trouble. I'm not being a troll, I'm simply stating that the whole protest bullshit, in the end, only really hurt Langley. I haven't heard of either Rino's or Aldy losing their points or Cups (IMO, for the record, I don't think they should, anyhow...but that's a different debate).

I'm actually not disputing that BCT is the better team. What I'm disputing is the idea that Rino's would have been the automatic finalist had they been able to play. Based on how Langley played both Inter and BCT, I highly doubt it would have been a cake walk.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Check your facts again. They took their foot off the pedal for the last three games. 13 GA, 3 GF over the last three games, all losses, one a 5-0 loss to Inter of all teams. They had the league wrapped up by Feb 16th by the looks of it. They appear to have dominated the league, going through the weekly results. Few teams seem to have given them a lot of trouble. I'm not being a troll, I'm simply stating that the whole protest bullshit, in the end, only really hurt Langley. I haven't heard of either Rino's or Aldy losing their points or Cups (IMO, for the record, I don't think they should, anyhow...but that's a different debate).

I'm actually not disputing that BCT is the better team. What I'm disputing is the idea that Rino's would have been the automatic finalist had they been able to play. Based on how Langley played both Inter and BCT, I highly doubt it would have been a cake walk.

Completely agree. It is impossible to say what would have happened had Rino's remained in the competition as there are several different permutations. Certainly not a sure thing whatsoever that Rino's would have beat Langley and then gone on to beat the Coastal/Inter winner. I would not have personally predicted them to be in the final (personally I had Langley as on of my contenders from the beginning of this competition based on their performance last season), but, as you say, we were deprived the chance to find out.

For the record I wasn't calling you a troll, I was just saying that I didn't think the post you were responding to was meant to be as inflammatory as your reaction was implying it to be. Anyway, semantics. I think for the most part Langley is getting the respect that their performance in the competition deserved. I haven't really heard anyone say that they were lucky to be there and the win over Inter and the way the final went a long way to removing any type of "lucky to be there" tag that some may have been wanting to bestow upon them. At the same time, I think it is also entirely reasonable for people to predict that Rino's would have beat Langley (or visa versa) had they gone head to head. It would not have been insulting or entirely disrespectful to predict that ahead of their meeting that never took place. Just like the final, it would have been a one off game where anything could have happened.

FYI that 5-0 drubbing that Inter handed out to Rovers was actually the Imperial Cup quarter final, so Rovers weren't phoning that one in, they fielded a strong side and it just wasn't their day (what were we saying about one off games?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0