Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 BC Masters Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes Besty in the Pipes. I was in line with the peno, and it was about a step inside the box, I would have protested more that it was not actually a foul, but it was...barely. I dont think its a card on a play like that anymore (certainly not a red), both players were tussling for sure. The non second yellow was a good call as well. Ref did a really good job today. I think Simon got two goals, booth very nice finishes. Westside deserved to win by several today I thought.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes Besty in the Pipes. I was in line with the peno, and it was about a step inside the box, I would have protested more that it was not actually a foul, but it was...barely. I dont think its a card on a play like that anymore (certainly not a red), both players were tussling for sure. The non second yellow was a good call as well. Ref did a really good job today. I think Simon got two goals, booth very nice finishes. Westside deserved to win by several today I thought.

Westside definitely deserved winners today, like I said they had a ton of chances to be comfortable, including one breakaway where their man had all day to pick his spot and shot straight at the keeper.

On the pk incident though, it doesn't matter whether it was "barley" a foul or not, he was the last man back. If it was outside the box he is off for Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity. If it was inside the box, which this one was deemed to be, then it is at minimum a yellow for Stopping a Promising Attack. However, it's only a yellow if he fouled him while making an attempt to win the ball, if he's deemed not to be making a play on the ball then it's back to a red. This foul looked to be for pulling the Temple player back with the arms which would not be an attempt on the ball...

As for the second yellow shout, it was a hard challenge and the Westside guy seemed have his arms raised unnecessarily and catch the Temple guy in the head. Likely would have been a first yellow I would have to think...

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for quoting. I think the official showed very good discretion in both incidents, we had a great close up view as they happened almost right in front of us. In the second one, he actually grabbed the guy by the chin and kind of wrenched the guy's head around. I dont think this ref likes giving a second yellow, he did the same thing with Chile players last night, once or even twice the Chile guy was on a yellow and was chasing this ref down the field while he backpedaled, clapping his hand s sarcastically, dropping f bombs etc. He could of sent off at least a couple of guys from Chile on yellows for that. I heard what the ref said to the guy today, and this ref was very clear that he knew the guy was on a yellow already. The PK was marginal although I agree it was a PK; I do like how the ref took a moment to consider it before blowing for the peno. Ps didnt they change (cancel) the last man back in the box rule unless dangerous play a couple years ago I recall for the red in the area, saying it punishes the player three times? We were talking about that...

Last edited:

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right, which is why I outlined it earlier.

If it is Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity (DOGSA) then if it happened outside the area it is a red card. If it happened inside the area then, because it was deemed too harsh a punishment by FIFA, as long as the defender commited the foul in the act of trying to genuinely win the ball a penalty is awarded andand offense is downgraded to Stopping a Promising Attack (SPA). If the defender commits the foul in a manner that is not viewed as an attempt to win the ball (ie he pulls the attacker back once he is past him or clatters him across the chest with his arms, etc.) then it remains DOGSA and a red card is given along with the penalty.

No room for interpretation on if the foul was "intentional" or if it was "worthy" of a card. The rules are clear. The only way it would not be a card is, if it was a penalty, but the referee deemed another player to be able to defend the chance as well. Then this would only be SPA to begin with and, just like how DOGSA was downgraded when it is in the box, as long as the player was deemed to be making a genuine attempt on the ball then it would be just a penalty with no card. Not sure that was the case today.

As for the second yellow, as a referee I always believe that, whenever possible, it is best to keep 11 players aside and let them determine the outcome of the game. This looked to be a very reckless challenge and, as you say, the Westside player seemed to grab him by the head even during the tackle. The Westside bench also appeared to know they were getting away with one because they immediately removed the player on a yellow after his talking to. I think the officials for these Provincials were likely spoken to about trying to limit the cards as much as possible because in the Open A Cup games that I have seen as well the officials seem to be slow to the pocket and having more chats with the players, rather than simply booking them straight away. Overall I am big time in favour of this approach as, in my opinion, there are way too many soft yellows just thrown around these days. That being said, I think Temple are entitled to a moan on this one.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the balance of play I can say with some degree of confidence that I will be struggling to to walk unit Wednesday. Same gores fog our "keeper". DB says he's good to to go next week.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
4f916c982590fea24be4476e29b70242.jpg

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya you're right, knowing the rules and how they apply to the game is stupid. Supposition and ignorance is way better...

Cheers!

Kippax

Aug 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done to Smallsy, DB and the rest of the Westside boys, they were the better team on the day. Nice goal by Simon to win it

I thought it was a definite second yellow, but my opinion is biased.

I do have to bring up westside's ability to put up a net, absolutely shocking. It took 3 guys, 3 attempts, and 25 minutes, I think I even saw Ted pull out an Ikea allen key at one point:)

Good luck in the final, and hopefully the nets will already be up for you

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside/Temple must be about wrapped up now, anyone with an update?

nice little rematch with two good clubs. Chile with the win in their last meeting in the League cup.
Can @La Wara pull it off again against @Dancin Bear and co? Should be a good game. I’m leaning towards the Chileans as there are some fitness concerns for the Westsiders. Having said that, you can never rule out Westside in cup play...ever!

@Sir M , Chile are not that good still? Come on man! Haha

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah yes Machel, hindsight is 20-20 isn't it? I will say they have a very hot goaltender, and have been thus far more fortunate than other teams in avoiding injury. Other than that, my opinion doesn't vary much.

La Wara

Dec 12, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
This should be a good battle and hopefully the Refs won't be the talk of the game. All my respect to MF a bunch of talented classy guys who did not make it easy on us. I think at this point of the season every team is dealing with injuries we will have no excuse and just attack it 1 half at a time.

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
It should a very interesting final. Westside is the more experienced and are clutch in situations like this they always find a way to win but Chile is younger, faster and more skilled IMO.

A classic case between Experience vs. Skill, who wins?

Good luck to both teams.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think this will be a very interesting final. I agree Chile is easily younger and faster, but Westside throughout is by far the more skilled team, they just play a different style. Westside is really banged up and having to play an out player in goal is never ideal, plus I know DB says he will be back for the weekend, but having seen the way he was walking on Sunday, that is a tall order. Chile may also be pretty tired as well, as they had MF dominate them for 120 minutes on Friday. This one will be very close indeed. I think the big striker in the air for Westside could cause issues for Chile, and the Chile pace equally could trouble the Westside back line. This one may boil to down bench strength and whether DB is fit to go and be effective.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
From what I saw this wasn't the foul (if it was a foul, it didn't look so real time) the ref called, about a half step after this the Westside player tugged on Morris' shirt and that was the foul...Morris certainly wasn't avoiding going down either.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
After starting this tournament going 4/4 on predictions in the Preliminary Round I have since gone 1/6 in the matches that have followed, including striking out with both semi final predictions. Clearly these are perhaps my most "Baseless" predictions of them all. I will need to snipe the final in order to finish above .500 for the tournament, but, they I have been going lately, I'm not sure I would put a lot of stock in this prediction...

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s Masters Deryl Hughes Provincial Cup
Semi Finals: 0/2
Overall: 5/10

Final:

EDC Burnaby (VMSL) v Westside FC (VMSL)
It will be a tenth straight championship for the Vancouver Metro Soccer League at the Masters Over 35 level, as they will make it a decade of dominance in the Deryl Hughes Cup. In fact, for the fourth straight season it will be an all VMSL final. Absent from this season's showpiece event are Croatia who have played in, and lost, the last three finals in a row. Also missing are two time defending champions, Coquitlam Metro Ford, who were halted in their bid for a three-peat by EDC in the semi final. There was not much to choose between the two sides with neither team being able to find the breakthrough over the 90 minutes, nor in the extra 30 minutes of extra time that were played. Instead Chile came out on the right end of the shootout lottery to book their place in this final. This is the Burnaby side's first season at this level and they have already won the VMSL's domestic Master's Cup. Being crowned Provincial Champions at the first time of asking would be a remarkable accomplishment, though just reaching the final in their inaugural year is quite the impressive feat. While they may not have played at this level previously, the stage is not likely to overawe them as much of the EDC team would have been involved with the club when they won the Men's Open A Provincial Cup in 2015. That same year, Westside were winning their third Masters Provincial Cup, to go with their wins in 2010 and 2012. Three titles ties the record for championships in this tournament since it's inception in 2000, with Firefighters and Columbus also having won the trophy on three occasions. Impressively, Westside has accomplished this while having relatively little turnover; with many of the same players that were involved with the squad during their first title back in 2010 now looking for their record fourth championship. So experience clearly favours the Vancouver boys, however, youth will be on Chile's side and, at this level, that can play a huge role. Chile should also be relatively fresh; with the tournament contracting to only 12 teams for this season, and Chile receiving a bye thanks being VMSL Cup Champions, they have only had to win two games to reach the final. The draw was kind to them as they got to host an understaffed UVic Alumni team in their opening game, who they cruised past 4-0. As mentioned, Metro Ford was much more of a battle, but they were able to advance on penalties despite not being able to score in that one.

While they only had to play one extra game compared to EDC, at their age, that has seemingly taken its tole on the Westsiders. Among other knocks and twists, they lost their longtime stalwart goalkeeper Mike Wicken to a shoulder injury just minutes into their Preliminary Round game against a tough North Delta side. The Vancouver boys were able to stake themselves to an early 2-0 lead before hanging on to win 2-1 anchored by stand-in keeper Marty Best. Bestie, as he is known, just returned to the Westside fold this season after plying his trade recently with West Van. Perhaps it looked a dodgy move when West Van went on to romp to the VMSL title this season, however, if Westside can lock up the Provincial title I am sure he will feel that his decision was, without question, the correct one. Their depleted squad then had to travel to Duncan to face the VISL Champions, Cowichan FC. If anyone doubted the pedigree of the Vancouver boys, they put down a marker in this one, pulling off the smash and grab to get out of dodge with a 1-0 win, despite being arguably outplayed in hostile territory. Back on the mainland they had a tricky test in their semi final against a young, keen Temple side from the FVSL. Their task was made all the more difficult when their talisman in the midfield, the man they call Dancin' Bear, Keith Moore, went down with what looked to be a hamstring injury early in that match. Westside were in fine form however, as they took the lead and were creating so many chances that it just seemed it would simply be a matter of time before they were out of sight. Instead, they conceded a penalty and looked to be perhaps letting this one slip away before they rescued themselves with a pair of late goals for a 3-1 win. Top scorer Simon Heald had the opener and the game winner in the semi to go along with the 10 goals that he clattered in during the league campaign and Westside will surely need more from him if they are to win this final, especially as the supporting cast seemingly dwindles around him. Chile are not exactly prolific goal scorers, only registering 29 over the 18 game season, which was likely a contributing factor to their sixth place finish, putting them in the bottom half of the table. They do boast quality goalkeeping and defending however, which really becomes a factor in knockout play and they have not been scored on in this tournament so far. They also only conceded only two goals during their run to the VMSL Masters Cup title, including clean sheets in both the final against PCOV as well as in the semi final, a 1-0 win over Westside. The Burnaby boys also play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder after being dismissed as the new kids on the block this year by the staunch old boys club mentality of the established teams in the VMSL's Masters Premier division. That attitude particularly came to light in that semi final triumph as it was clear how much that victory meant to EDC. Surely a win in this game and this tournament would be worth even more to them, so expect a brash Chile side lining up for this one. Westside certainly are not afraid of anyone, though, and they had the better of EDC in league play; welcoming them to the league in the first game of the season by handing them a 2-1 loss and then following that up with a clinical 5-0 drubbing in the reverse fixture. Clearly both sides have the ability to win this game and this title so it should be a cracking final. This Westside group have made a habit of winning in knockout football and they certainly do not lose many finals, but one has to wonder just how long they can continue to tape this thing together. Missing so many key bodies against a young, fresh, eager Chile team might just be the tipping point. This one is almost too close to call, but, based on health alone, I will have to tip EDC to add a new name to the Deryl Hughes Masters Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts