Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 BC Masters Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was just checking out the bracket and there were 4 bye games in the first round. Why not fill these bye games with the next best teams for next season? As it stands, you can win one game and then be in the semifinal. lol.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was just checking out the bracket and there were 4 bye games in the first round. Why not fill these bye games with the next best teams for next season? As it stands, you can win one game and then be in the semifinal. lol.

There's some credence to this given the Masters B Cup that has been created, but IMO the 24 team tournament that went on last year was too big. Could you do a 16 team tournament, possibly, but there really isn't enough top teams in the three big leagues to fill it out. VMSL has a 10 team Masters Premier league, but FVSL is only 7 teams. The Island only has 4 teams in Masters A and they had to get creative with their scheduling this season and interplay all their masters divisions.

So, without involving the other leagues (BMSL and RASA) you would be making a 16 team tournament from a 21 team pool. Not sure that qualifies as the "best" competition, keeping in mind the winner does represent BC at the Western Nationals. Instead of needing one win to make the semis, you might have a team that only won two or three games in a season knocking off a real powerhouse because of one bad day at the office. Some might say that's not a bad scenario though I suppose. The other option would be to involve the other leagues, but then what do you do with this B Cup and how do you distribute the berths evenly without going back to a 24 team tournament? Plus you have the fact that RASA and BMSL compete on B forms at open (that's why they are not in the A Cup with a chance to go to Nationals), but now suddenly at Masters these teams can advance to Westerns? I am sure that contributed to BC Soccer's thinking in creating the Masters B Cup as well.

I get where you are coming from, but rather that look at it as a 16 team tournament with byes, I view it as an 8 team tournament with four play-in games. Honestly, with the amount of horror story injures that are seemingly coming out of all these matches, maybe it is for the best that this competition have fewer games, rather than more.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just make it 16 teams like it always was before BC soccer started reinventing the wheel suspending both teams in a round etc to overly bureaucratize everything to cover up their sheer incompetence. Go 6 VMSL, 4 FVSL, 4 VISL, 2 BMSL which is a grandfathering of the old NSCL entries that were always there, or even one and add one to VMSL or FVSL. The proverbial if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus it would be one less thing for CFE to write novels about.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see the dilemma. We grew up in an age where "like" was an adjective.
~SirM said, "I like you, akslop, you really don't have to try so hard. I know you really like me, but this is getting awkward."

Nowadays "a like" is more like a noun, a thing you collect. Even though that thing exists in cyber space, it is forever, just like when TM spouts off on TTP and embarrasses himself.

~akslop said, "Boy I sure hope SirM gives me a like for that witty comment about TM and staying away from cheeseburgers. I gave myself a Bag of Dicks for that, I wonder if SirM noticed? Hopefully he likes the post and gives me a like."

We being old, it is a different world we live in now, and it's important to sort out the likes. I see I was insensitive to you and your desire be be liked, and collect likes.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
After a perfect first round I completely shat the bed on the last set of fixtures; only EDC spared my blushes. I suppose the column is name "Baseless" for a reason... I'll need to get at least one of the semis correct if I hope to finish the tournament above .500!

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s Masters Deryl Hughes Provincial Cup
Quarter Finals: 1/4
Overall: 5/8

Semi Finals:

EDC Burnaby (VMSL) v Coquitlam Metro Ford (VMSL)
It has been a decade of dominance for the Vancouver Metro League in this competition. Not since 2008, when UVic Alumni won the trophy, have non-VMSL hands been lad on it. A domestic semi-final ensures that the league will have at least one representative there to try and win it all again this season. Coquitlam are two time defending Provincial Champions and Western National Champions. They were unable to defend their VMSL title this season, losing out to a very strong West Van side, but they put that right and had the last laugh in the previous round, heading to the North Shore and returning 3-1 winners. EDC were busy dealing with UVic Alumni, though obviously not the same said as won the title back in '08. The VMSL new boys dispatched their Island guests at a walk, cruising to a 4-0 win despite missing their underage players who are allowed in the VMSL but not on the Provincial stage. Chile wanted to make noise this season in the VMSL and they did so by winning the Masters Cup and proving their belong in a league full of the "old guard" mentality. The teams already at this level are the best, there's no room for you, you will fail just as the other teams who came before you failed. This has allowed Chile to play with a certain chip on their shoulder and boy are they putting it to good use now. Coquitlam had the better of it in the first meeting between these two teams, winning 4-3. That was followed by a 1-1 draw and then by Chile winning 3-1 in the cup quarter finals. Certainly then these teams will be confident of scoring goals; though Metro Ford are always confident in scoring when they have Golden Boot winner and 27 goal man Tiarnan King in their lineup. The "Old Wolves" are gaining momentum and must surely have that championship feeling back in the locker room. Chile, on the other hand, are looking to once more upset the order of things and crash the Provincial party in their first season at this level. This game could go either way; Coquitlam obviously have the pedigree, having been here before, but EDC have the youth and you could easily see them running out 4-0 winners again. At this time of year though, experience seems to win the day, so I will give the most minuscule of edges to Coquitlam and say they keep the dream for the three-peat alive.

Westside FC (VMSL) v Temple Utd. (FVSL)
After falling short of their own lofty expectations last season, Temple have taken a much quieter approach this year and it seems to have helped them reach the promised land. That being said, the draw has been kind as well, bringing them a team from the Island to Surrey in the first round and then serving up a domestic opponent in the quarter finals. A big 4-2 win over FVSL Champions Port Moody last weekend mean that it is up to Temple to fly the flag for the FVSL as their last representative standing in this competition. It was a VMSL opponent in Columbus who decimated their cup dreams last year at the first hurdle, now, a year older and more experienced, they will face a VMSL side again for a chance to play for the title. Last year, after their loss. the VMSL was described as "a different animal' and Temple will need to prove that they are capable of taming said beast. Westside are the team that just will not got away. They are too old, they are too injured; but they could care less what the outside world thinks of them and their chances. This team has been here and done this, it is old, old hat for them now. They limped, literally, past a strong North Delta side from the Valley in their first game. It cost them their all-star goal keeper, but they were undeterred. They headed to the Island last week to face champions Cowichan in a hostile environment. Despite be under the kosh for good portions of the match, they found the only goal of the game. Now, back home, they will look to head to the final for the umpteenth time as this group seeks a fourth championship at this level. Both these teams have great fan bases so expect a good crowd out for a big match at Empire. As for a winner, it is again, very fine margins. Temple will be fired up with a chance to make the final, but Westside are so experienced that they know exactly how to approach these types of matches. For me, it comes down to attrition and you have to think that the injuries will catch up to the Vancouver boys at some point. They have all the tools to win this game, but I think they just might run out of gas.

Last edited:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Predictions. Both games at Empire.

Saturday night, 8 PM kickoff:

EDC Burnaby (VMSL) vs Coquitlam Metro Ford (VMSL). EDC comes into this game after a nice league cup run, and are well rested after having to play only one game thus far in the BCs, where they had a fairly easy time with UVic 4-0. Metro-Ford, on the other had have had a tough bayyle won road thus far, going 120 plus minutes plus Pks against PCOV, and then naother physical tight one at West Van last week. They have picked up several knocks and some key injuries along the way, not the least of which is to one of their star players Alfredo Valente. There is a question in the air as to the availability of their #1 goaltender to this one. Chile are healthy going in, and appear to be in form, and are the home side. This pick may go against logic, but I am going with class and experience over form and rest. Prediction: Metro Ford 3 EDC 1.

Sunday aft. 130 PM kickoff

Westside M A (VMSL) vs Temple United (FVSL). Some would argue that these two teams, both third place finishers in their respective leagues, have come through the easier side of the draw. Certainly Westside would disagree with that assertion, having to play 90 minutes and then an additional 138 minutes of added time by the FVSL r\feree before they could dismiss a game and well staffed North Delta side, followed by a huge win with an understaffed side on the Island against the VISL champs. Temple beat a travelling lower VISL side in the first round in a favourable draw, but did dispatch the FVSL champions this last week, and have been filling the net of late. Westside suffered a huge loss in the first game losing their star goaltender for the rest of this tournament. Temple have made great strides since last season, but I don't see them getting past a scrappy Westside team, despite the latter side being severely beat up. Westside goes up early and hangs on for dear life. Prediction: Westside 3 Temple United 2.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I left the MF v EDC game after 90, they are going into extra time tied 0-0. MF had most of the possession and dozens of chances it seems; King probably had a good 8 or so just himself. The EDC keeper was having an absolute blinder, he saved at least four for sure goals. EDC are down to ten men as a back was send off for too many lunging tackles, Valente was back for MF, but no Franks, no Clark, MF keeper shorter than the EDC keeper. Lots of subs for MF. EDC had a short bench. They had one really good chance at the end as they countered while on the ropes and did counter from time to time. Tons of yellows, really good game to watch.

Last edited:

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I left the MF v EDC game after 90, they are going into extra time tied 0-0. MF had most of the possession and dozens of chances it seems; King probably had a good 8 or so just himself. The EDC keeper was having an absolute blinder, he saved at least four for sure goals. EDC are down to ten men as a back was send off for too many lunging tackles, Valente was back for MF, but no Franks, no Clark, MF keeper shorter than the EDC keeper. Lots of subs for MF. EDC had a short bench. They had one really good chance at the end as they countered while on the ropes and did counter from time to time. Tons of yellows, really good game to watch.
Chile through on pk's

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Their keeper and his best friend had as good a game as any I have seen in Masters in a long time...

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside 3-1 over Temple.

Westside with the opener in first half injury time and then a hatfull of chances to kill things off in the first 20 mins of the second half. Looked very dangerous off of corner kicks. Temple not creating much except a lot of almost moments that were only a touch away from breakaways. The Vancouver side was made to pay for their missed chances when they gifted Temple a pk. The decision was heavily protested by the home side who felt the contact was outside the area. Perhaps the referee felt it was contentious as well because, stunningly, there was no card. Looked a sure sending off, but, neverless it was 1-1.

Temple looked to have the legs for it with Westside wilting. A massive shout for a second yellow on a Westside winger with 10 to go. Again it looked a certain sending off, but instead just a talking to. Westside would win it 3 minutes from time with a curling effort on the turn from the top of the area by Simon Heald that nestled into the top corner, far stick. The home side would finally get their insurance marker in injury time.

So off to another Masters Final for Westside, though they are losing bodies fast. @Dancin Bear joined the injury list, limping off with what looked like a hamstring about 10 or 15 minutes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0