Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 BC Masters Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If your definition of a " not that good" team is a team that in their first year wins master A cup scoring 12 goals and allowing 2 with a midget keeper.

Well then yes " THEY ARE NOT GOOD"

How's your team doing ?

That wasnt about Soccer. I think he was referring to your poor performance slum lording in Vancouver's hot real estate market.

I'll go ahead and kick dick myself now.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok, back on earth, here are the predictions for the first knockout round:

Friday April 20

8PM, BLSCW3 : PCOV (VMSL) vs Metro Ford (VMSL)

PCOV expended a lot of energy in their late season avoidance of relegation/qualifying for the BCs run. Metro Ford are the defending two time BC and Western Canadian Champions. Although they will be rusty, Metro Ford will prevail. Metro Ford 4 PCOV 2.

Saturday April 21

3PM, UVic Field 3: UVic Alum (FVSL) vs Surrey United (FVSL this year)

Former champions UVic Alum finished in the penutimate spot in the VISL, and SU finished a distant fourth in the Valley. This draw is usually a nightmare for Lower Mainland teams. UVic will bag two in the first twenty minutes before SU gets rid of their sea legs. UVic Alum 4 Surrey Utd 1.

Sunday April 22

Noon, South Memorial Park: Westside (VMSL) vs North Delta Rangers (FVSL)

Westside have won this tournament several times in recent memory, and North Delta have finished as runners up in recent memory. Westside finished third by a distance in the VMSL, while North Delta just missed the title by a point in the FVSL. North Delta are younger and may actually be the stronger side, but Westside are at home and have the intangible in the Wicks/Heald combo back and front. Westside 2 North Delta 1 (OT).

130 PM, Newton Athletic Park #1: Temple Utd (FVSL) vs Gorge Backfit (VISL).

Two third place teams from their respective leagues match up in this one. Temple had a rough time in the BCs last year, but have a more favourable draw this year. They will rely on their two star players to see them through to the next round. Temple 4 Gorge 3.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the field trimmed and limited to just the big three leagues the competition level should be upped straight from the off in this tournament. Four teams with byes that could ultimately prove invaluably given that, at this age, competitions such as this can be a war of attrition as much as anything else!

Standard Disclaimer:
For those not familiar with my column, I am largely just pulling this stuff out of thin air. I try to find whatever information is readily available online, but ultimately I am just trying to generate some interest in local soccer in BC. If I have omitted or overlooked facts that you consider relevant to your team or league, it's not done intentionally...get over it..
.;)

Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s Masters Deryl Hughes Provincial Cup
Preliminary Round:

UVic Alumni (VISL) v Surrey Utd. (FVSL)
After a last place finish last season, Surrey Utd. used some solid back room dealing to rebuild their franchise. As part of Coastal's internal realignment they saw their Masters Premier team pack up shop and head north of the highway to join up with SU. That Coastal team has plenty of veteran experience, dating back to their Peace Arch United days. It was Simon Crocker leading the charge in the goal scoring department for the knew look Surrey boys as he banged in nine goals over their 18 game season. Fraser Valley Soccer League All-Star Johnny Collins is still very much the talisman for this group though and look for him to stir the drink from midfield, and stir up the opposition as much as possible. It looks a tall task though for Surrey United as they will have to travel to the Island to face a solid UVic Alumni squad. The Former Students have a serious goal scoring threat in Masters Golden Boot runner up Dean Anderson. Anderson scored 19 times in 17 games and helped power the Alumni to a second place finish in the Vancouver Island Soccer League's Masters A table. Surrey were the "best of the rest" so to speak in the Valley this season, finishing fourth, ten points behind league leaders Port Moody. They only managed to take four points from their nine games against the teams that finished above them in the table, owing their participation in this competition to the fact that they went a perfect 9-0-0 against the three teams that finished below them. Helping Surrey Utd. rebuild and make it back to the show might have to be enough of an accomplishment for this group this season because the look to be in tough headed away from home.

PCOV (VMSL) v Coquitlam Metro Ford (VMSL)
A domestic battle from the Vancouver Metro Soccer League sees league runners up Coquitlam take on seventh place PCOV. The Portuguese were in a relegation battle right up until the final games of the season, but got the wins that they needed to ensure there would be absolutely not threat of going down. They required a place in the final of the VMSL Masters Cup to make the tournament and an impressive semi-final win over fourth placed Columbus meant that PCOV would be in the Provincials at the expense of the Italians and of Croatia who had finished fifth. They could not keep the momentum going in the final however, as they were well beaten 3-0 by EDC Burnaby. PCOV will need to rely on their recently demonstrated ability to win knockout games if they are to have any hope of progressing. Coquitlam are the defending Provincial and Western Canadian Champions, so they know a thing or two about winning knockout football matches. They may have finished second to West Van in the table, but they had the best goal difference, at a whopping +44, thanks largely to their league leading 68 goals for; not surprisingly they also boast the league's leading scorer among their ranks. Tiarnan King had an exceptional 27 goals in 18 games, which was 14 more than his closes rival. The league meetings between these two were not close as Coquitlam took them both by an aggregate score of 12-1. PVOC are in their best form of the season, but the stats don't lie. Metro Ford are clear favourites in this one.

Westside FC (VMSL) v North Delta SC (FVSL)
This one is easily the Match of the Round as two very experienced sides clash in a Vancouver against Fraser Valley grudge match. Two clubs whose history in their respective league's runs very deep and, honestly, they have been at this for years. Westside just won't go away after a handful of Master's Provincial Cup title and at least a pair of Western Canadian Championships, their core group is well qualified to be playing Over 35s, with many of them easily eligible for Over 45s. This team knows how to win and they know how to win in knockout competition. The won the VMSL Masters Cup in 2017 and came close to defending their title, narrowly losing a semi final this season 1-0 to eventually champions Chile. The are lead by the ageless wonder in goal, Mike Wicken, who posted eight clean sheets this season. Up front, Simon Heald lead the way in terms of providing the offense; he had 10 goals in 18 games. Really though, Westside's heart and soul is in the middle of the park with man the call "Dancin' Bear"; Keith Moore wears his heart and the Westside crest on his sleeve and will be driving his cohorts on, urging them to forget the aches and pains that inevitably come with age and play for 90 minutes like they were in their twenties again. Opposite him will be a man who has an equally storied reputation and passion that runs deep for his club. Kevin Gaull has long been the talisman for North Delta at every level and continues to clatter in the goals whenever he crosses the white line. Guall won the Fraser Valley's Masters Golden Boot at a canter, netting 24 times over 18 games. ND finished a mere single point behind Port Moody at the top of the table, but they did capture the Rob Brown Cup as they got past Temple United on penalties. Both these teams will be confident of winning this match. Westside don't make a habit of losing in the first round, they've only done it once in recent memory when Croatia beat them in the first round in 2015 in a rematch of the 2014 Provincial Final that Westside had won. Nor do the Vancouver boy make a habit of losing to non-VMSL opposition; the only time in recent memory was an ill-fated trip to Powell River, a hurdle that has tripped up many a mainland side. While Westside have the pedigree, North Delta's record in this competition is spotty at best. They have only won a single match in the past three season, in 2014 when the beat Howe Sound. Last season they famously coughed up a 3-0 lead before taking the lead and a man advantage with less than ten minutes to play. They would be stunned by two late goals from Port Moody before the full time whistle and were done for another season. You have to think that this season they are out to write past wrongs and try and bring a fist ever BC Provincial Darryl Hughes Cup back to the FVSL. This one should be a cracker and could easily go either way. It would seem to really come down to Gaull. If Westside can contain him, their experience should see them carry the day, but if Gaull can turn on the moxie the way he has always shown himself capable of, then ND could be comfortable. Toss up; I'll take Westside solely based on their history.

Temple Utd. (FVSL) v Gorge FC Backfit (VISL)
Temple were the Fraser Valley Soccer League's upstarts at this level last season. They took the league by storm and won the Rob Brown Cup. However, after much chest puffing, they were humbled in the first round of the Provincial Cup by a star studded Columbus side from the VMSL. They return this season after a third place league finish, though they were within striking distance of the title, only five points back and they narrowly missed out on defending their Rob Brown Cup victory, going down on penalties in the final to North Delta. This season the draw looks to have favoured them as Gorge will have to deal with the always relevant travel factor to come to the mainland. Gorge will be looking to prove that travel does not have to be a disadvantage the way Westside did last season, coming to the Island and knocking the Victoria based side out in the first round. The Backfit boys were third place in what amounted to a three team race in the Vancouver Island Soccer League's Masters A standings. They too finished as runners up in their domestic cup, losing the Tony Grover Cup final to league winners Cowichan. Both teams have strikers capable of putting the ball in the net; Gorge were lead by Vladamir Music and his 12 goals in 17 games while Temple have the two-headed monster of David Morris and Bob Atwal who scored 13 and nine goals respectively. This one looks to be well matched, but home field is likely to tip the scales. Look for Temple to advance from this one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is a super strong group re4presenting the best of three very good divisions. That said, there is only one tough pick for me. Here are mine:

UVic Alumni (VISL)
v Surrey Utd. (FVSL): no sense repeating what you both already wrote, home pitch advantage alone is big here, but add in what is likely a disparity on overall depth and talent, Island team in this one.

PCOV (VMSL) v Coquitlam Metro Ford (VMSL): the season alone shows the difference, plus...MF is stacked with been-there-done-that guys.

Westside FC (VMSL) v North Delta SC (FVSL): match of the weekend, a midfield and defensive struggle, seeing a 1-0 win in extra time. In the end I think the extra fitness of "youth" will win out, and Gaul simply just scores goals. He'll get the only one of the match.

Temple Utd. (FVSL) v Gorge FC Backfit (VISL): Samosa Served in Saris Day at the NAP, get your tickets, check your swords at the door. Go Temple. #thataintaknivethisisaknife #chainsawwhat?

Last edited:

ASSMAN

Sep 9, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metroford win in pk's. I wasn't at the game but was getting updates from the pitch. Sounds like Metroford will be thin on numbers with numerous guys going down with injuries . Apparently Alfredo broke his shoulder and Robin Hart had to be carried off the pitch and other players left with injuries. Should make things interesting for there match up next week against Wvan as I hear they are riddled with injuries as well.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is fairly accurate. PCOV were under pressure for the first 90, but took a 1-0 lead on a MF OG early in the first and that score held until the break. Metro Ford tied it early in the second as Oliver came on and he and Valente dominated the midfield while PCOV sat back and had trouble clearing repeatedly. MF got a second with about a half hour left. I missed that one as I was making water. To their credit, PCOV hung in there as both they and MF sustained all sorts of injuries, and the Portuguese did look dangerous at times on the counter against a tired and sometimes clumsy MF back line, their big center repeatedly fouling and was lucky to get out of the game without a red. PCOV broke through in about the 88th minute on a very nice Gomes linkup free kick header. Two 15 minute extra times solved nothing, and both teams began to run out of fit subs. It went to PKs where PCOV were disappointing, hitting two of there first three PKs at Franks, or over the bar, and Franks made a good guess on the third. MF buried their first three PKs and it was over, setting up a West Van Metro Ford matchup in the next round.

Last edited:

ASSMAN

Sep 9, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metroford win in pk's. I wasn't at the game but was getting updates from the pitch. Sounds like Metroford will be thin on numbers with numerous guys going down with injuries . Apparently Alfredo broke his shoulder and Robin Hart had to be carried off the pitch and other players left with injuries. Should make things interesting for there match up next week against Wvan as I hear they are riddled with injuries as well.

Well I think my source at the pitch last night had a few to many . Alfredo with a dislocated elbow not a broken shoulder.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My Island source says 3-0 for U Vic over SU. Wasn't close. Heard there were spirit cheers and a hacky sack circle followed by pints at Big Bad John's. Unconfirmed.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
My Island source says 3-0 for U Vic over SU. Wasn't close. Heard there were spirit cheers and a hacky sack circle followed by pints at Big Bad John's. Unconfirmed.

BC Soccer site would seem to back that up. Nothing on there about Big Bad John's though for some reason...

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside 2 North Delta 1. Weird game, neither team played very well I thought, ND with about 9 subs, lots of energy, youth (comparatively) and work. Westside were flat but showed more skill when it counted. WS went up 2-0 early, and in the first bad injury play of the game, Wicks badly jammed his shoulder (probably separated) and left the game. In comes Besty in the pipes and WS looks to have about two fit subs. 25 minutes in, the ref, who was very chummy with the ND players who all referred to him by first name, blew a non-foul into a free kick for ND. The ND player punted it up into the tradewinds from about 40 meters out and it blew in right over the sub keeper's head. 2-1. It stayed the same with ND pressing but they didn't have any finish and I don't think Besty had to make any saves other than coming for looping balls and getting fouled. I didn't see any signs of a lethal striker for ND as had been touted. At the end, the ref, who again was extremely friendly toward the FVSLers, indicated 3 minutes of stoppage time which I never saw coming. He then let it go a full 5 minutes it seems hoping that it would get tied, at which point there was an extremely hard but clean tackle that neither player had any business going into. Both the Westside and North Delta players were hurt on the play, the North Delta front runner sadly breaking his leg. There was an over half hour wait for BC Ambulance who finally arrived and took the poor guy to hospital. The ref indicated 20 seconds left (yes we waited some 40 minutes for 20 seconds of play).

Maybe this was ND's last chance, 20 seconds came and went, then 40, then 60. Now 6 minutes of added time in, (not counting the 40-minute wait) with all players up the ND keeper missed a gaping net after a scramble from a long throw. After the ensuing goal kick by Besty, the FVSL referee finally blew the final whistle, some two and a half hours after kickoff. I hope all injured players get well soon. Losing Wicks will be a blow for WS if he is out as it appears he is.

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside 2 North Delta 1. Weird game, neither team played very well I thought, ND with about 9 subs, lots of energy, youth (comparatively) and work. Westside were flat but showed more skill when it counted. WS went up 2-0 early, and in the first bad injury play of the game, Wicks badly jammed his shoulder (probably separated) and left the game. In comes Besty in the pipes and WS looks to have about two fit subs. 25 minutes in, the ref, who was very chummy with the ND players who all referred to him by first name, blew a non-foul into a free kick for ND. The ND player punted it up into the tradewinds from about 40 meters out and it blew in right over the sub keeper's head. 2-1. It stayed the same with ND pressing but they didn't have any finish and I don't think Besty had to make any saves other than coming for looping balls and getting fouled. I didn't see any signs of a lethal striker for ND as had been touted. At the end, the ref, who again was extremely friendly toward the FVSLers, indicated 3 minutes of stoppage time which I never saw coming. He then let it go a full 5 minutes it seems hoping that it would get tied, at which point there was an extremely hard but clean tackle that neither player had any business going into. Both the Westside and North Delta players were hurt on the play, the North Delta front runner sadly breaking his leg. There was an over half hour wait for BC Ambulance who finally arrived and took the poor guy to hospital. The ref indicated 20 seconds left (yes we waited some 40 minutes for 20 seconds of play).

Maybe this was ND's last chance, 20 seconds came and went, then 40, then 60. Now 6 minutes of added time in, (not counting the 40-minute wait) with all players up the ND keeper missed a gaping net after a scramble from a long throw. After the ensuing goal kick by Besty, the FVSL referee finally blew the final whistle, some two and a half hours after kickoff. I hope all injured players get well soon. Losing Wicks will be a blow for WS if he is out as it appears he is.
Ummm ditto.
Ref didn't have his best game.
Thankfully the first 20 was our best 20 and that was the difference. Losing Wicksy is a blow. I've seen Besty step in net before and he rose to the challenge again. End the game on a horror tackle and subsequent mad scramble was surreal...and thhe ref, not surprisingly played his part
Raid trip to the island is the reward...we shalll de what we can do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts