Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've said it before: I think the Caps (and some of us fans, certainly me) underestimated how important Gershon Koffie was in his role beside Laba. He allowed Laba to operate as an out-and-out destroyer, because Koffie did play a pretty good box-to-box game. We as fans were often critical of him, that his final pass wasn't quite good enough, and that he could have been better, without maybe considering how good he actually was, and how good his value actually was. Fcuk me, we've been looking for a guy to replace him ever since! AJ is not the same player (though, I do like how versatile AJ is, but he's no Koffie), and now they have Tchani, and he's- to me- very inconsistent and I can see where his reputation for being lazy comes from. See my post on the goal against Saturday.

The other thing that has hurt Laba's play- besides coming in last year out of shape and losing Koffie- was the advent of DISCO. It seemed he got caught in this no-mans land of tackle uncertainty. I mean, Christ, overnight, MLS went from being a "Physical, fast league", to soft! The chintziest of tackles were getting DISCOed after the fact, and guys like Laba, who's style of play (with more polish, of course) allow players like him to thrive in the EPL and all over Europe, were being castrated! He can no longer be the hard man he once was because of the bloody league trying to over-officiate.

The supporters have been hard on Laba recently, and they have very short memories. He hasn't been as effective, no, but WFC management has a role to play in that blame game, and the league changing literally overnight in how they allow players to play, too.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There are a lot to the books that don't tell the whole story. I'd expect a loss of 3 million annually isn't that big a deal, especially if they manage to sell Davies for a good value, say $10M or more.

The stadium argument is definitely relevant, but then, if they owned their own, they'd then need to staff it, etc. Who knows, they get a good deal on BC Place as it is.

They need to start getting some development / sell success stories to justify it all, though.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I take this report with a grain of salt. When it first came out, Whitecaps stated they never allowed Forbes to see their books, but were breaking even. 20 million in revenue seems pretty low, considering at 21,000 over 20 games at $30 you're looking at 12+ million. Throw in all the merchandise, sponsorship (weren't we first in the league when we came in with EA, Bell, BMO, Budweiser etc.) Sure the jersey sponsor is 5 million etc.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yordy can wear an ice cream bucket on his head for all I care, so long as he keeps producing like this!

~icecreamforever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0