Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 2017 VMSL Div 2 Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer8

Jan 19, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow Strikers thumped the Snipers. I saw the greencaps Vufc game.greens looked in control for most of the game but Vufc showed great heart. They dont have much quality but never give up.Greens had lots of chances to finish them off. Vufc defender blocked the ball with his hand that was going over his head and he was last man.ref tried to play advantage and then brought it back for a free.not even a yellow card??? Vufc saved 2 pks to advance

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't get a chance to post this up before now, but here's Lupi's goal to beat Burnaby Metro (and the end of the match when the lights go out!)

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok so the snow and mid week rescheduling really f*cked my column...

I did write two (correct) predictions in advance (of course :rolleyes:) but was trying to wait to post them all at once on Saturday. Predictably I was too hung over to figure my shite out and then with the time change and my own schedule Sunday I didn't get to it then either. Anyway, believe me, don't believe me - don't care! Here are all my predictions for this round.

Round of 16: 5/8
Overall: 35/47

Quarter Finals:

VUFC v Strikers
It's been quite the Cinderella run for VUFC who are second bottom in 2B and looking increasingly likely to be headed for a relegation playoff. Perhaps all their cup experience will pay dividends, should that game come to pass. This week's opponents Strikers snapped out of a funk with a bang, smashing Snipers 5-1 in the previous round. It had been a couple of cagey affairs to that point in the cup for Strikers who knicked results in games that they would have been considered favourites to win. Therefore it must have felt good to run rampant over a team that was higher than them in their own division. I've said it before, experience is to be valued IMO during cup runs and after journeying to the Final last season, Strikers are surely slipping into auto pilot at this point in the competition. VUFC to give it a go, but I think that's midnight I hear chiming...
(**Editors Note** FT VUFC 0-2 Strikers)

Metro Ford Lupi v Strathcona
What a boon for Metro Ford to beat juggernauts Burnaby and end up with a team from their own division in the quarters! True, Strathcona are second to Coquitlam in 3C, but it's a distant second. The head to head favours Lupi, just slightly, with a 13-2 aggregate edge after two matches this season. While I'm not saying this is a bye, and it's always difficult to beat the same team multiple times in a season, I'd be shocked to see Strathcona pull this one off as, I dare say, so would Metro Ford. Perhaps there is a chance of a let down after a big win, maybe it sets up as a trap game, but honestly, can't think there is much to analyze here; Lupi to be comfortable.
(**Editors Note** FT CMF Lupi 3-2 Strathcona - definitely never thought it would be that close; well played to the East Van boys!)

Shaheen v Cliff Sr Cobras
The third of three Div. 3 teams to reach the quarters, it has been impressive stuff for the likely to be promoted Cliff Cobras (though Bosna has taken the opportunity to jump to the top of 3B while the Cobras have been occupied with Cup duties). However, I said from the start that this was the weakest section of the draw and that Shaheen would waltz to the Semi-Final. To be fair, Greencaps were full value for pushing Shaheen the distance, with PKs required to settle things in the last round, but Cliff have benefited from an egregiously good draw and Shaheen are vast favourites in this one. A classic cup "that's why we play the games" then, as no doubt Cliff figure that, having come this far, they might as well keep on going. Speaking of distance, a small saving grace for the underdogs, as a midweek jaunt to the North Shore seemed unlikely to offer and advantage to the lower division outfit. Van Tech a much more favourable travel bill for the Cobras, but, even so, I'll be sticking with Shaheen in this one.

13th Legion v NorVan Storm
Clearly the Match of the Round as the gauntlet that has been the top quarter of the draw finally reaches a climax. Both teams have been playing great to get this far, claiming some big scalps already. Despite the extended cup runs, both are still very much in the hunt for promotion in their respective divisions and are clearly deserving of reaching this stage of the competition. It's sad to lose one of them at the Quarter-Final hurdle as this would have been a worthy Final. That being said which one of them? Tough to get a read, even with a few cross divisional games to try and judge. Both have already knocked off the team that currently sits atop the table in their opponent's league as NorVan got passed Sarajevo while Legion beat White Eagles. White Eagles tied NorVan this weekend in league action while the Legion were busy making things difficult against Meralomas. Honestly it's a toss up, both could win, both would be deserved winners, but only one can win. This may be one of my most Baseless predictions of all, as there is next to nothing to separate these two! 13th Legion with only one loss on the season to NorVan's five and a markedly better goal difference will mean I have to make them favourites in this one. However, I am going against that grain and picking NorVan to win based on their experience in tough games during their promotion bid last season and the fact that, simply, I feel like the Legioners are due for a loss, they haven't suffered one since the season's opening weekend! Call it my Upset Special (though upset seems a generous term to use given how well matched these two are...)

penguin

Mar 3, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
13th Legion / North Van game canceled due to light failure. What a clusterf*ck this season has been. Is it just me, or is there an obscene amount of games that get canceled for conceivably avoidable reasons like lights and double bookings etc. I don't know who is to blame, probably a few people, but frankly this should be unacceptable.

Phil lennox

Jan 18, 2016
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both teams and ref stayed till around 930. Stood around from 8pm. It's a joke. Guys had to get shifts covered for work and the travelling fir both teams. It's so frustrating. Games been changed to Saturday, And wit Paddy's day Friday we really wanted the game to go ahead last night.

penguin

Mar 3, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Both teams and ref stayed till around 930. Stood around from 8pm. It's a joke. Guys had to get shifts covered for work and the travelling fir both teams. It's so frustrating. Games been changed to Saturday, And wit Paddy's day Friday we really wanted the game to go ahead last night.

Well if you had won, you'd be playing Saturday regardless - or were you banking on losing? :p

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last minute semi-final predictions!

Quarter Finals: 3/3* (Fourth QF still to be played)
Overall: 38/50

Shaheen v Metro Ford Lupi
MOTR. This is what Coquitlam's season has been building to. With promotion secured they have their eyes on some silverware and a spot in the Provincial B Cup. Surely they will be prepared and fully available and has a legion of traveling supporters to back. Will they be over awed by the moment? I can't think they'll crumble having come so far. Shaheen, as I've continually repeated, had the easiest draw to the Semi's, but are a top side and technically would be favorites in this one. They have shown their quality to this point this season by being in the mix to return immediately to Div. 1 and picking up a trophy along the way would be a nice bonus. I said before the tri-cities beat Burnaby that, until they proved it, I would have to back the higher league favourite. Well, they proved it, so call it my Upset Special, Lupi to the Final!

13th Legion/NorVan v Vancouver Strickers
Pending...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan 1-0 over 13th Legion. Well done Norvan! Would love to see a Norvan vs Shaheen "North Shore Derby" final!

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan 1-0 over 13th Legion. Well done Norvan! Would love to see a Norvan vs Shaheen "North Shore Derby" final!
Norvan went down to 10 men 20 minutes into the game on a late tackle from behind. 13th legion were in the Norvan 25 yards limited times. The legions did not get a shot on net. Norvan hit the wrong side of the bar a couple times in the game and had a few scoring chance and continued to press for the victory.

ref44

Aug 13, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Had to play two injured players last 20 minutes. Hoping they can be taped up for the semi finals. This is becoming ridiculous to get our games in as we play 3 games next week the third. Wing the cup final if we get there. Then 3 more the following including a back to back date.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@ref44 if it makes you feel any better Shaheen are in the same situation, and I heard that's why they lost last night to BBY White Eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0