Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 BC Mens Provincial U21 Cup - Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok this is the cup that actually nobody cares about...

Not sure if I'll be able to keep up as, if I'm tight for time in a given week, this will be the first predictions to go. That being said, I'll try to give the kids their due.

Standard Disclaimer:
For those not familiar with my column, I am largely just pulling this stuff out of thin air. I try to find whatever information is readily available online, but ultimately I am just trying to generate some interest in local soccer in BC. If I have omitted or overlooked facts that you consider relevant to your team or league, it's not done intentionally...get over it...;)

Completely Baseless Predictions
U21 Doug Day Provincial Cup
Preliminary Round:

Gorge FC (VISL) v Burnaby Selects White Eagles (VMSL)
With all the league winners being seeded directly into the Quarter Finals, all the opening round match ups are fairly even. This fixture, however, might be the most lopsided of the opening round. The Vancouver Metro League split their U21 division after the first round of fixtures with the top teams competing for the Provincial Cup berths. It appears though, that Coquitlam Metro Ford have opted not to enter the Provincial Cup, thus Burnaby, who were the “best of the rest” in the second tier of the VMSL U21 Division, have evidently been invited to the dance. Gorge finished runners-up in the Vancouver Island U21 Division, but the Division did only contain six teams. So it’s altogether tough to get a read on either of these teams. To be honest, both just look like fodder for VMSL U21 Champion EDC in the next round, but there needs to be a winner in this one. Will Burnaby’s season of beating up on weaker teams give them the confidence that they need going into the Provincials? Or are Gorge perhaps a powerhouse second place team irrespective of the sample size offered by their small division? I’m tempted to lean towards the later as the travel factor also looms large in this one. It could prove quite difficult to wrangle a bunch of teenagers onto a ferry to the Island in the middle of exam season. One player to watch might be Burnaby’s Nedeljko Kos, who potted nine times for the White Eagles this season. Could he be the difference maker in this game? Truthfully, I can’t see it happening. I like the second place finishers at home in this one.

West Van (VMSL) v Port Moody Gunners (FVSL)
With no heavy hitting teams playing in the preliminary games, this fixture sets up as the Match of the Round. West Van finished in second place in the VMSL’s upper tier of U21, while Port Moody were third in the Fraser Valley’s U21 Division but were U21 Cup Finalists, losing to league champions FC Barca. What really makes this fixture tasty (or at least more so than any other in this round...) is that it has a pair of Golden Boot winners squaring off. West Van’s Adrian Sahagun led the way in the VMSL with an impressive 19 goals in 17 games. Meanwhile in the Valley, Kaveer Brar chalked up 18 goals in just 14 league games. At the very least we should all be hopeful of some goals in this one! As for a winner, I’ll have to lean towards to home team simple given the sample size of their work has been broader and arguably more challenging playing the top VMSL teams on multiple occasions, while the Gunners had a few freebies in a smaller league.

Prospect Lake (VISL) v Pacific Utd. (VMSL)
A bit of an enigma match here that is very tough to predict. This game features third place from the Island hosting third place from the VMSL. Prospect Lake was a distant third place in the VISL U21 Division and only had six wins in a six team division. Other than a 1-0 win over league champion Mid-Island Mariners in October, they did not have much to write home about in terms of big results. Quite frankly, if this game was on the Mainland I would have to think it would be a slam dunk for Pacific Utd. However, once more the travel factor cannot be dismissed. Can Pacific Utd. get a good enough squad to Greater Victoria during exams? Certainly their parent club had quite the rash of forfeits during the VMSL campaign. Now I do not think that Pacific would be in that type of dire scenario, but the club’s behaviour at large does not inspire confidence in their ability to motivate their players to turn up. What kind of team will make it over? Who could guess? I’ll have to pick Pacific to win this one, based solely on their strength of schedule. However, if I’m Prospect Lake, I like this draw.

North Delta (VMSL) v Westcoast Juventus (FVSL)
North Delta were sixth out of six in the VMSL’s top half and essentially qualified for this competition based on the fact that every team comprising the top six of the VMSL U21 Division when they split the league at Christmas would receive a berth; barring a miracle Cup run from one of the lower teams. That’s basically a long winded way of saying that the ND boys (along with Burnaby for that matter) are really just here to make up the numbers. North Delta’s big brother team had a dismal season in the Vancouver Metro Premier League and their U21 campaign wasn’t exactly a redeeming pinnacle of hope, finishing with a record of 7-2-8. I suppose the argument could be made that the U21s were playing, and evidently losing to, the best VMSL teams and that their record would have been inflated had they continued to play the league’s lesser lights. Still though, a fall from grace for an organization that looked to be on the verge of making a big splash in the BC Soccer landscape. Where that leaves their program in terms of regrouping for next season remains to be seen, but, in the meantime, they have the opportunity to make a statement that North Delta SC still are the top tier club that migrated from the FVSL to the VMSL two seasons ago. To that end, a bit of pressure on Westcoast in this one to prove that the Fraser Valley League is capable of holding its own against the traditional powerhouse VMSL. As mentioned earlier, there were only a handful of teams in the FVSL U21 division and it would seem that a further two of them were hardly competition at all. Westcoast finished second, but now must prove that a finish like that is worth more than sixth place in the VMSL. Who better to prove it against than the team that packed up shop and jumped ship? So, quietly, there is a lot on the line in this one, at least behind the scenes. Or perhaps I am just grasping at straws, trying to make a preliminary round in a division that is ostensibly overlooked have some gravitas... Regardless, I will take Westcoast to flex some FVSL muscle in this one (because if they don’t it will just be more fuel to the VMSL fire!)

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
See I knew nobody cared about this Cup...but I went four for four on predictions, so I just had to see if lightning would strike twice now that the seeded teams were in the competition.

Preliminary Round: 4/4
Overall: 4/4

Quarter Finals:

Mid-Island Mariners (VISL) v Gorge FC (VISL)
A domestic, all VISL encounter as Mid-Island play Gorge for the fifth time this season. These teams finished one and two in the table with the 11 point gap due in large part to Mid-Island’s 3-1 record against their southern rivals. Top goal scorers Emil Rhak, who won the Golden Boot with 10 goals for Gorge, and Billy Bagiopoulos, who had 9 of his own for Mid-Island, will no doubt have become well acquainted with each other after so many encounters this season. Mid-Island’s secret, or, I suppose, not so secret, weapon might be Daniel Doukakis. He chipped in with 8 goals of his own to ease the burden on Bagiopoulos, while Rhak was a solo act for Gorge. It’s tough to bet against that season series, look for Mid-Island to advance to the Semi-Finals.

Estrella de Chile (VMSL) v West Van (VMSL)
It’s a similar domestic battle in this match up as first place Chile host second place West Van. The North Shore boys had little trouble seeing off a challenge from the FVSL’s Port Moody Gunners in their opener, emerging as comfortable 6-2 winners. Chile won the league by three points and, though it surely did not seem that way at the time, an early season 4-2 victory in November at Ambleside made the difference. The return leg was a 2-2 draw. In terms of an entertainment factor, this game boasts 4 of the league’s 7 top scorers including, as mentioned last week, West Van’s Adrian Sahagun, the league’s golden boot winner. West Van also has Chase Taylor-Robins, who potted 10 on the year to finish third on the league scoring charts while EDC counter with scoring title runner-up Joel Padmore, who had 13 goals, and Daniel Pervan, who scored 7 times. This one is a coin toss and this time I will bet against the season series and take West Van to win this one.

FC Barca (FVSL) v Pacific Utd. (VMSL)
Match of the Round here as, while the previous two ties might have more on field substance, they are domestic encounters and the Provincials are all about pitting the leagues against each other. FC Barca took the Fraser Valley “Graduates” division by storm, romping to a League and Cup double. That earned them a seed in the Provincial draw and they will now face VMSL’s Pacfic Utd. Any chance to resume the FVSL/VMSL debate is always fun and, after Westcoast from the FVSL held off VMSL U21 also-rans North Delta in the first round, we will now get to see how the Valley’s Champions fair. They scored 48 goals and only conceded 8 times on the season en route to their FVSL title, while Pacific were a distant third in the VMSL. Surely Barca should be the favourite here. Pacific, though, traveled to the Island in the Preliminary Round and emerged victorious, so that has to speak to their pedigree. This one is very intriguing and as much as I want to take the new kids on the block, history indicates that this one will likely shade the way of the VMSL. Coin toss; I’ll take Barca.

CCB Guildford (VMSL) v Westcoast FC (FVSL)
While they finished a disappointing fifth in the VMSL’s U21 Division, Guildford defended their League Cup Championship and earned a seed in the Provincial draw. Guildford are the current holders of this trophy as well and will be keen to mount a vigorous title defense, no doubt. Westcoast eeked past North Delta in the Preliminary Round and ND were well off the pace of CCB, never mind the cream of the crop, in the VMSL. CCB have no one who jumps of the page in terms of scoring their goals, as Gurinder Pannu led the way with only 4 tallies on the season. However, they do boast the league third best defense record. This one should be a slam dunk for the Surrey boys.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quarter Finals: 3/4
Overall: 7/8

Semi Finals:

Mid-Island Mariners (VISL) v West Van (VMSL)
Mid-Island overcame an all VISL Quarter Final as they saw off their domestic runners up, Gorge FC, for fourth time in five tries this year. Mid-Isle are one of only two VISL teams remaining in any of the Provincial Competitions, as all of their entrants from the Provincial A and B cups have been eliminated and only Cowichan remain in the Masters bracket. Overall a disappointing and underwhelming showing from the league this season and they will, I’m sure, be keen to try and rebuild their former pedigree beginning next year. As for this year, Mid Isle’s Semi Final opponents, West Van look like a force to be reckoned with. The North Shore boys knocked off VMSL Champions Chile in the previous round and clearly have their sights set on a title. Certainly at home the VMSLers would be very strong favourites in this one, but, of course, travelling to the Island is always tricky. That being said, West Van can take heart from looking at the results that other Mainland teams have had on their travels thus far across the Provincial competitions and be confident in taking advantage of what must be considered a down year for the VISL. West Van are former winners of this trophy and, while that might not say much given that players from that previous team are almost certainly no longer under 21, it does speak to the culture of the club. They continue to build competitive programs, year in and year out, and instill a winning mentality into their players. West Van are good bets to win not just this game, but the trophy as well.

Pacific Utd. (VMSL) v CCB Guildford (VMSL)
The Match of the Round is a VMSL Surrey derby featuring the current title holders, CCB Guildford. Their local rivals, Pacific, pipped them for league position this season, but Guildford finished strong during the back half of the campaign and repeated as U21 Cup Champions. Now they look to defend the other trophy that they won last season. The two league meetings between these two were a saw off, with each team claiming three points. However, they met in the U21 cup final a month ago and CCB walked away 4-1 winners. The back half of the season was a reclamation project of sorts for Guildford and I will give weight to that cup score line. With their league form stagnating, the Guildford boys evidently focused their efforts on the cup, to great aplomb. Pacific should not be considered slouches though, having won a tough away trip to the island to begin this competition and then dispatching FVSL Champion, and U21 upstarts, FC Barca in the previous round. Guildford slammed five past a decidedly inferior West Coast squad though which will go a long way to reassuring a team that failed to score in any of their final four league matches. Pacific have the stats and the results to be favourites in this one, but I like Guildford’s pedigree as title holders and repeat VMSL cup champions, I’ll take them to make the final.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Semi Finals: 1/2
Overall: 8/10

Championship Final:

West Van (VMSL) v Pacific Utd. (VMSL)
An all VMSL final this season, again, and this year it pits second place West Van against third place Pacific Utd. There was a seven point gap, however, between these two teams and West Van owned the two league meetings among the clubs, winning 3-1 and 4-0. Pacific though, have put the past behind them in this Provincial Cup competition, as they got revenge over their Surrey neighbours CCB in the semi finals. CCB had cruised past Pacific 4-1 in the U21 Cup Final a month earlier, but Pacific rallied and flipped the script in a hard fought 1-0 last weekend. West Van have been exercising some demons of their own in this tournament, knocking off EDC after the Chileans had pipped them to the league title. They impressively traveled to the Island last weekend and defeated Mid-Island Mariners 2-1, adding another league champion's scalp to their mantle. As ever, you just hope this occasion is worthy of a final and the situation does not over-awe the kids. The stats all lean in West Van's favour, they scored more while allowing fewer goals than Pacific and they boast the league's top scorer Adrian Shaghan. He had 19 goals in 17 games during the VMSL campaign and has added three more goals in three Provincial Cup games. Chase Taylor-Robins scored 10 goals for West Van in league play (and has added another in the Provincials) while Pacific's top scores Joshveer Kang and Jasi Bains only managed 8 and 6 respectively during the season and neither have hit the score sheet in the Provincial Cup. Pacific can take solace in the fact that knockout competitions seem to be their specialty this year, now in their second final, but West Van have to be the favourites in this one. Best of luck to Pacific and congratulations to both teams on a great season and fantastic Provincial Cup campaign, but I see West Van standing in the winner's circle at the end of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts