Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Canadian Olympic Hockey Team

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess the first question to be answered is if the NHL is going to send their players. As the flag-ship sport and the biggest draw you would have to think it is a foregone conclusion but nothing has been finalized yet.

Let's hear who should and shouldn't make the team....tons on forwards to choose from, a little weak on D but think the Goalie could be the biggest conversation piece....can Luongo represent again ? Carey Price ?

cheers, mackers.

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: 2014 Canada Hockey Team ??

Crap, should have had the title as 2014 Canadian Olympic Hockey Team ??

Regs, can you fix it ?

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i think Getzlaf will be an interesting topic. he is a big body and played well in 2010 but he seems to really be dropping off.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i think Getzlaf will be an interesting topic. he is a big body and played well in 2010 but he seems to really be dropping off.

I agree, but i think there are too many players that are ahead of him now, especially on international size ice

Ferraro posted his list on TSN the other night, and i agree with most of it

Ferraro's Projected 2014 Team Canada Roster

my projected roster would be:

Nash - Crosby - Perry
E. Staal - Giroux - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Seguin
J. Staal - Bergeron - Hall
Extras: Benn and Eberle

Keith - Weber
Letang - Doughty
Girardi - Pietrangelo
Extras: M. Staal and Seabrook/Hamhuis

Luongo
Price
Ward (Fleury and Smith could take this spot)

IRT the Forwards, it's time for the young stars to take over, especially on the larger ice. Marleau, Thornton, Iginla, etc aren't mobile enough to compete at the top level on the larger ice. This will be Nash's 3rd Olympics, and half of the forwards are returning from the 2010 team, so leadership won't be an issue.

Dmen: First 5 (Keith, Doughty, Letang, Weber, Pietrangelo) are locks, IMHO and as long as they aren't hampered by injury. The last spot should be a more defensive dman, who still has a good two-way game. Seabrook may get the spot as he was there in 2010, but i think Girardi, M. Staal and Hamhuis could be solid options for the 6th spot, or at least on the reserve/taxi squad.

*Hamhuis isn't a homer pick, although i'm sure it'll be called that. He is an underrated two-way player and a very good defensive dman. I just don't think he gets the cred, because he's not a physical force like Weber.

Goalies: I think the starting spot is a toss-up between Luongo and Price and that Luongo may get the spot on past experience, but it could easily become the passing of the torch, just like in 2010 with Luongo taking over for Brodeur.

I'm sure i'll get ripped for a few names, but discuss (and post your own lineups, we are under a year away now!)

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Way to early to project a line up for next year but if you are going to do it I do not get Ferraro excluding Luongo off of his list at this point. His numbers are better than the 3 picks he has and he was the goalie who played the gold medal game so it should be his spot to lose. I do however like how he gave Fleury credit for winning gold in Vancouver:rolleyes:

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luongo scares me, he did win it for Canada in 2010 but he wasn't solid...although, i think that when he plays for the 'Nucks but he keeps surprising me so who knows. I say we can't count Brodeur out, as crazy as it seems he may make the squad ?

I like the Hamhuis pick, he is a lot more mobile than Seabrook and let's be honest the only way Seabrook is on the team is because he matches up well with Keith.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
@joely: Marleau isn't mobile enough???!! FFS, the guy is probably the best skater in the league and one of the fastest... especially amongst big men.

Iginla has performed during Intl duty, Thornton and Marleau have never lived up to potential during Intl Play.

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@joely: Marleau isn't mobile enough???!! FFS, the guy is probably the best skater in the league and one of the fastest... especially amongst big men.

Iginla has performed during Intl duty, Thornton and Marleau have never lived up to potential during Intl Play.

best skater in the league might be pushing it, but after some research, i'll admit that i should have placed him in the under-performing for Canada than the not mobile enough category... from the games that i had seen from him, i don't ever recall thinking "oh shite, that guy can fly", but i'm also not a hockey scout and don't see many sharks games

and i'm not arguing that Iginla hasn't performed, just that i think he's been passed over by the the other forwards, but i wouldnt be surprised to see him on the roster in place of Hall or Eberle... i also thought Iginla was older than he is (35 yrs old), so after finding that, i'd put him at 60/40 to make the roster

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure if that would be the comment if Luongo had a B's uni on mtkb...
-He's top 5 in GAA and Save % amongst goalies who've played more than 2 or 3 games
-Has no outright losses in his 8 games this year
-Has experience in International Play including that gold shiny thing he can drape around his neck...

Lui is 4-0-3 in 8 games with 1 game in relief of the Redhead. he has a 1.63 GAA, .934 SP, and 1 shutout.
Price is 8-3-0 in 11 games with 2.06 GAA, .922 SP, and 1 shut out
Ward is 5-4-1 in 10 games with 1 game in relief, 3.19 GAA, and .901 SP and no shutouts
Fleury is 8-3-0 in 11 games. 2.34 GAA & .914 SP with no shutouts.

If you're going to nominate new blood I'd shout for Craig Anderson or even Corey Crawford based on their play this year and it would be over Ward, not Luongo IMHO.

Not that I'm advocating for him per se, but the stats don't lie and Luongo, like it or not, was a big part of that Gold Medal in February of '10.

You also have to throw "He's too old" out the window as Marty has been a mainstay up until '10 Olympics when he then was old as dirt (40 now, 37 then)

Lui's numbers are better than Rasks numbers btw ;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No chance in hell that Craig Anderson would be on the team. Ever.

Don't ask me for my sources or I'll have to call you stupid. In public.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0