Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[2008 Olympics Women] Canada 1 - 1 China

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With this result, it seems the women are basically a lock to go through to the quarters.

At a glance, I think it is within their best interest to go all out in their final group game vs Sweden as the winner of the group will not have to face either Germany or Brazil.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we loose to Sweden we cant advance? They beat Argentina and should the 3rd ranked team in the world beat us we would get 1-1-1, they would be 2-1-0, and if china beats Argentina they will be 2-0-1.

Still in tough I think.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
There are only 3 groups in this tourney and 2 of the 3rd-place finishers go through to the next round.

4 points should do it unless there are some MASSIVE upsets in the final games of the other groups.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a ****ing terrible game of football.........surprisingly. :rolleyes:

In terms of style anyway......surprise surprise......a good result though and I'm sure Canada was glad China's best player didn't play.........

~SCORE MORE~

Jul 14, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, I am not sure that it went over the line fully... plus is was the ref that made the call from somewhere near the 18?? It wasn't the linesmen on the side. :confused:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was over the line...........at least according ot one of the angles.......Having said that, I'm not sure China's goal wasn't offside by a yard before it got to that point............:eek:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a ****ing terrible game of football.........surprisingly. :rolleyes:

In terms of style anyway......surprise surprise......a good result though and I'm sure Canada was glad China's best player didn't play.........

Totally agree.

You hear our idiot reporters claiming Canada "Dominated", but that wasn't the case. They looked slow and unskillfull in humping the ball up to the strikers.

Watched Canada's women's "softball" last night. 1st- very hot pitcher on the Canada side. 2nd: a lot of skill and great plays on display.

Same w/ watching any women's volleyball.

Women's soccer is just plain bad to watch.

That said, hope they do well.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's Canada's women's game, direct is still a style of play. They've built a team to compliment that style of play. cant knock it, it gets results.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's Canada's women's game, direct is still a style of play. They've built a team to compliment that style of play. cant knock it, it gets results.

Pardon? "Built" a team? Who would "build" around kick & run football?

The better women's teams play a skill / posession style of game. Keeping the ball = higher percentage of winning.

All I have heard is that these girls are supposed to be a medal threat, and darkhorse gold threat. Newsflash- they are the 3rd strongest team in our group.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regardless, Sinclair and Lang are usually able to bully others off the ball and do something with it...sure there are probably better ways of playing, but none of us are the damn coach...The CSA is usually worng anyways...What else is new? :rolleyes:

and for the record, Kick and run is a direct style of play, who has won anything of note with it? I'm not sure, but it can be viewed as an effective way of not losing rather than winning...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JBN…I can understand rose colored glasses and everything, but this guy has been coaching this shitty style for how long now?

Honestly, our women are as good as anyone else’s, but if you coach a style that actually encourages the players to give the ball up to 50/50 or lower possession opportunities, you deserve to lose.

Much has been made of Kerfoot’s investment into this team…too bad he couldn’t appoint a real coach. When he asked Pelerude, “What else do you need?”, Pelerude should have answered, “Walking papers”.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
For sure, I am not providing any sort of ringing endorsement of this team...

I know for a fact better players are not in Beijing because they don't compliment the hump the ball 35 or 40 yards to Lang and Sinclair style.

Look at the MNT...used to be the same thing...now the Canucks probably have the best short passing midfield in CONCACAF, De Ro, De Guzman, Nsaliwa, Hutchinson, Radzinski, etc... They can zip the ball around on the deck with the best of them, or...hump the ball 35 yards to Friend the freindly giant as a targetman...Best of both worlds.

You have to play to your stregths...if the coach figures that is the best way than we have to back them...then they lose and he gets sacked...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts