Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 Province Cup (men)

Status
Not open for further replies.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't get into a froth Slappy, I said those were the games I remembered and they are in no particular order. I told you it was a long walk up the stairs and JB I was watching American Idol... :eek:

helmuut, I looked and it's not. Where was it?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
:D

As Helmuut said, the excellent site finally has them up...

Game 1: Pegasus FC vs Nanaimo (VISL League Winners)

Game 2: GN Sport or SFC Rangers vs VISL Jackson Cup Winners

Game 3: Westside Rino vs Burnaby Canadians

Game 4: Surrey United vs Vantreights (VISL League Runners-up)

Game 5: ICSF Inter vs Khalsa 96ers

Game 6: VISL Jackson Cup Runners-up vs Sporting Club

Game 7: Peace Arch vs Golden Ears

Game 8: Firefighters vs PoCo City or North Delta

~Regs.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Could the top half of the draw be any tougher? I can't recall the last time a side being as strong as this year!

If a FVSL team doesn't make the semi's this year under the circumstances... :rolleyes:

~Regs.

PS. Good luck to the Chops with their travel plans... I smell an upset :eek: :D

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wow

Somebody over there likes us.:rolleyes:

There should be some pretty pissed off VMSL posts over the next few days. That is one bizarre draw. The second half of the draw almost looks like a B cup compared to the top half. Oh well, you take what you can get.;)

A FVSL team had better make the semi-finals. Our piss-taking lives depend on it.:)

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here is the draw for those who are lazy

Game 1: Pegasus FC vs VISL League Winners

Game 2: GN Sport or SFC Rangers vs VISL Jackson Cup Winners

Game 4: Surrey United vs VISL League Runners-up

Game 5: ICSF Inter vs Khalsa 96ers

Game 6: VISL Jackson Cup Runners-up vs Sporting Club

Game 7: Peace Arch vs Golden Ears

Game 8: Firefighters vs PoCo City or North Delta

Cheers
JB

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know I konw, maybe I could become a moderator,:rolleyes:. If I ever figure out how to send an e-mail.

Cheers
JB

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The winner will definitely come from the top half and by the looks of it, it will be well deserved. Here's your chance Valley, although I can already hear the it was a easy draw rebuttals. :D

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

hi besty;)

HOS, i guess the friday nite game vs. inter is off. westside would consider a game one of these weekends but we have all these pesky cup finals to play in the coming weeks:rolleyes::D

top side of the draw appears the more difficult, but should make for a true provincial champion should a club manage to win four tough games.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
B-Cup, Come On, I like Double D's

Originally posted by Fat Monkey
The second half of the draw almost looks like a B cup compared to the top half.

I disagree, look at Khalsa vs. Inter first round match and the winner of that plays Sporting. That is not a B-Cup, there are some Inplants there.

The top half is tough, but that is how the draw goes.

Best Draw of the Night, the fukcing Fireman, with 2 FVSL teams to get by, to get into the Semi's. The funny thing with all of this, is that everyone is writting F.F. off with 3 WhiteCap players gone for Cup play.

It is funny how the draw works out, a FVSL team could make the semi's for the first time since Slurrey U. did it ages ago.

I like Mighty Khalsa's draw vs. Inter, we have thier number this year:rolleyes: .

HOS

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Westside vs. VISL League Winner
Firemen vs. Poco City/North Delta

VISL Jackson Cup Runners-up vs. Sporting Club
Peg vs. GN Sport/Surrey Rangers

VISL League Runners-up vs. Inter
Khalsa vs. GEU

Surrey United vs. PAU
Burnaby vs. Jackson Cup Winner

This is how the draw should look. This way, you get a VMSL, FVSL and VISL representative in each of the four brackets. There are no inter-league matchups in the opening round - which is one of the keys of entering a provincial competition of this type. Who wants to play a first-round game against side you've already battled with two or three times already this season? Competing in this type of tournament involves one of the few opportunities teams get to see what the other leagues in the province have to offer, talentwise. May the best sides win.

There is a reason the VMSL qualifies eight teams while the other leagues only get four apiece, a reason that has nothing to do with the volume of teams registered within each individual league. It is about the amount of success the league has had at the provincial level. 16 of the last 18 Provincial Champions (since Croatia won in 1985) have come from the VMSL. Makes sense that they get half of the provincial berths available. The last two provincial champs have come from the VISL - and suprise! - they were awarded another provincial berth this year because of it. Or, you could look at it from the standpoint that BC Soccer took away a berth from the FVSL, this year, due to their lack of success in past years. Hmmm. That's the great thing about different perspectives.

Anyways, you could mix and match some of the teams, so long as you stay consistent with having all three leagues represented in each of the brackets. Just an idea. Because the real draw is freakin' brutal.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who's Looking for a RUN on Friday Night

Originally posted by cerebral smallsy
HOS, i guess the friday nite game vs. inter is off.

Yes the Inter game is off, they did'nt want Khalsa to see any more of the over 25 guys they have signed for Cup, they are experimenting with over 4 different starting line-ups.

As for an Exhibition game vs. the Top Half (That will WIN it ALL), we are looking for a RUN, not a Kick Long Contest, so we will talk to Slurrey or BBY., we already beat Peg in a match on Saturday. A game vs. BBY would be good, we have already beat Slurrey Twice this year:D

Good luck to all, Have fun, whoever has to Go to the Island in the First Two Rounds.

HOS

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
chilliwack someone upside the heeed

fcuking semi-finals are in chilliwack!!?? you have got to be egg-yolking. what could possibly be the reasoning and/or benefit to this? should be a solid turnout of fans to both the semi and finals this year.:rolleyes:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do you Do the Seeding, SH

Originally posted by sensei_hanson
This way, you get a VMSL, FVSL and VISL representative in each of the four brackets.

Seeding is a good idea, based on past performance for the League, but how would it work.

VMSL Premier League Winner - Seeded #1
FVSL Premier League Winner - Seeded #2
Imperial Cup Winner - Seeded - Seeded #3
VISL Premier League Winner - Seeded #4

I gave two seedings to the VMSL because they get 8 berths, after that I picked the Premier League Champs because winning the League is the Toughest thing to do. You must come first over-all over 18 or 19 games, plus a League Title game if needed.

These teams would be set up at 1, 8, 9, 16. If all these teams made it to the Semi's they would then play each other.

Now we get top VMSL teams going Head to Head first round, and weaker teams from other Leagues getting a chance to avoid playing the Top teams on the way to the Finals.

Bottom Line, Win Your 4 Games and You are B.C. Champs.
But the System could be improved.

HOS

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are the teams that are named first the home team, if so off to victoria I go.:D

HOS,

I like your way of ranking, but the league champ is rarely decided before the draw is dealt with so that may cause a problem.

Cheers
JB

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do the Draw Two Weeks Later

This way you would also know who are the teams coming out of both the FVSL Cup and VISL Cup.

I know seeding is hard, because it is impossible for the 3 leagues to agree on how the seeding should work, but if the BCSA can determine who many berths each League gets they could probably come up with some kind of fair seeding system.

Look at the Seeding for the Womens Draw, UBC won the Vancouver League so they where seeded #1, they get a great draw because of the success they had all year, makes sense.

HOS

yowen

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
J_B,

You should only hope that it's Victoria and not Powell River. Very tough place to draw a cup game.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOS...

You don't necessarily need seeding for a proper system to work. Actually, seeding creates more problems because then you get into the old argument of what league is better and what league deserves higher rankings. Seeing how the VMSL, VISL and FVSL never interlock during the regular season, trying to come up with a legitimate seeding process would be a nightmare. It would cause more problems than solutions.

Like I mentioned earlier, BC Soccer has basically told the three leagues what they think about competitive balance by awarding eight VMSL spots to the FVSL's and VISL's four. If they wanted to abide by an "even-steven" motif they'd just give each league six berths apiece and let the chips fall where they may. There is an obvious shift in the competitive balance with the number of berths awarded - I don't know why the powers-that-be try to then compensate for it by throwing everybody into a random draw. It's kind of a contradiction to their original statement - they assume that the VMSL is more competitive and thus they get double the berths; but when it comes time to do the draw, everybody is suddenly even again? And you end up with three inter-league games in the opening round? Stupid. I don't really think much of a draw where any league is guaranteed to have a team go through to the second round. I mean, the VISL could have all their teams knocked out in the first round, but the VMSL have two guaranteed second rounders (Westside/Burnaby and Khalsa/Inter) and the FVSL gets one (GEU/PAU).

All they really have to do is ensure that each bracket has a VISL, VMSL and FVSL team represented. Can anybody really argue against this? I mean, no knock to the FVSL teams in games 7 & 8, but if this kind of draw is necessary for the league to get a team into the Provincial semifinals, it doesn't speak volumes about the level of play in the Valley. The league would look far better taking on teams from the VISL and VMSL and beating them, as opposed to playing in a loaded bracket where the FVSL has a 75% chance of getting to the semis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0