Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2003 Men's Masters Deryl Hughes Cup (O-35's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just got the poop on the BC's this year:

16 teams allocated as follows:

WCOTSL--6
Van. Isl.--4
FVSL--3
North Shore--3

It should be an interesting tournament but I'm a little suprised at the breakdown. I don't know if the WCOTSL should get twice as many berths as the FVSL...more certainly :D but twice as many?

Are all the leagues/teams O-35 now? I know in our league there was a grandfather clause this year in league play for underage players with the understanding that they wouldn't be able to play in the BC's.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Draw

Let the games begin for the first unified O-35 Cup.

Surrey Utd v Nordic
VISL League Winner v Freybe
Total Marine Celtic v Westside Miloni
Aldergrove v Club Inter

Pegasus v VISL League Runner up
Surrey Firefighters v VISL Cup Winner
VISL Cup Finalist v Columbus
Van Firemen v Dartmen

Home teams first.

Without knowing all the teams, I would have to say the bottom half looks like it might be a little tougher than the top. Freybe and Columbus open with road trips.

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over 35's

NSCL also have a grandfather clause, and we are going to continue having it. Next season we will allow teams to sign 3 new players under 35. This will ensure continuity in our league, otherwise we would be an over 40 league pretty quick. It seems most teams have at least 3-4 players under 35. Our 3 entries each have had to drop 2-3 players for provincial play.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cside17,

Which team are you on? I couldn't find the url for your league last night, who's the powerhouse?

Next year the WCOTSL will only allow previously grandfathered players to play in league play, any new signings must be O-35. I'm pretty sure that the VISL and FVSL are all O-35.

Has it been a while since you were asked for ID?

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Over 35's

Originally posted by cside17
Next season we will allow teams to sign 3 new players under 35.

It will be interesting to see how the North Shore teams do in Cup when they do not have the services of 2-3 of thier best players in the B.C.'s.
Why are they allowing more under 35 players next year? If the other leagues can sign enough players with all 0-35 players then you would think that the mighty North Shore with all its soccer players could do the same.

HOS supports Nordic, but they are in Tough.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballbaby...I thought you had moved on to more refined pastures. Winetastings, birdwatching, that kind of thing.

How were the berths in the FVSL decided? I see Delta Metro aren't involved. Was that their choice?

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter I run , Coveside FC , our site has all the league info. I am also President of the league, Lupoman is the Secretary Treasurer.

We allow under 35 players because we would lose some of these guy's to the Millars league over 30's. Some of the best players in the league, don't want to or can't commit to VMSL teams. So we are the next option. The thought is that if these guy's start playing elsewhere, they will settle in, and may not switch over when they turn 35.

Good Luck to all in Provincials.

Looks like our year end tourney this week end will be a washout.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BCSoccerweb has an old link with a "home.com" domain in it. I found the league site through a Google search which brought me to Malones FC who had a link to your new site.

The Millars League isn't BCSA affilliated is it? Would good players in N/W Van play for a team with no higher--BC, Western Canadian--aspirations?

I ask this because I agree, maybe for the first time, with HOS about having to drop guys that have played with you all year. That in itself could be a reason they wouldn't come back to play for you...

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Millars are not affilliated with BCSA. And not a very desirable alternative.

If a guy can't make or can't commit to a metro team, they are going to play some where. If we don't allow them to play till 35, then it's obviously not us. Some of the best players are younger guy's. My team has had 3 guy's from DCR(1st div Metro) come over in the last year and a half, Nordic has Tibor from pegasus, Norvan has Danny Vaughan, Freybe has Jason Lenarduzzi. The list continues. Rather than lose these guy's, managers voted to allow them to play, with the understanding they aren't eligible for the provincials.

As this is the first year that people have to be dropped, we have yet to see the fallout, if guy's chose not to return.

Cside

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would not Go to 0-35's Because of This

0-35's sounds great as we get older with more commitments.

But the fact that you can't play in the B.C.'s after playing all year seals the deal for not going over 35's until I hit that age.

There are still some Premier teams and 1st Div. teams that will take Older players even though they can't commit every practice and game.
These players still want to play in Cup, and still can contribute to these teams.
Look at Regs with Peg, he can still give you 45 min. before he can't run anymore or do the move without huring himself.

HOS

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Men's Masters Deryl Hughes Cup (O-35's)

Originally posted by Peter
Just got the poop on the BC's this year:

16 teams allocated as follows:

WCOTSL--6
Van. Isl.--4
FVSL--3
North Shore--3

It should be an interesting tournament but I'm a little suprised at the breakdown. I don't know if the WCOTSL should get twice as many berths as the FVSL...more certainly :D but twice as many?

How about the North Shore league getting the same as the valley?
That seems a bit out of sorts considering where the top teams have been coming from (west coast + fv)
Next year the sfc rangers are signing on in the valley too.
I know this is the first year for the only over 35's tourney ( no over 30's)...how / who decides the berths?

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In previous years FVSL had 4 spots per 16 teams, NSCL had 2 per 14 teams. We lobbied BCSA for an extra spot, and were successful.

Which is the better league, remains to be seen?

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
In previous years FVSL had 4 spots per 16 teams, NSCL had 2 per 14 teams. We lobbied BCSA for an extra spot, and were successful.

Which is the better league, remains to be seen?

I'm not sure of the better league either, but valley teams have been in the finals in both the over 30's and over 35's the last few years...any north shore league teams?
SU won the over 30's the last 2 years, the surrey firemen(many ex premier firemen players) are in the valley now, rangers next year...
In the open div. the vmsl get the nod over the valley in berths because of past accomplishments and rightly so( so no. of teams is not a factor.)
What has the north shore league accomplished in the bc's to be rated another spot at the expense of the valley?
Did the valley have any representation / say in this lobbying?
Did the valley exec even know about this change?
Who made this decision?
Does anyone really care?:rolleyes:

inquiring mind,
Aves

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves

It's my understanding, your league executive was aware of what our position was!

Our league teeters on the edge of not affiliating every year. We pay approx $7000 to BCSA for 3(previously 2) BC spots, as well as the right to use registered referree's. Half the time our ref's aren't registered, as everyone and their dog play;s on a Sunday morning. Which makes it difficult for the ref scheduler to find quality(use that word lightly) ref's. None of the Vancouver guy's want to cross the bridge. So we quite often end up with unregistered ref's, and or, inexperienced guy's.

Realistically 3 of our 14 teams may be able to compete at the provincial level, for 1-2 rounds.

How do you keep 10 other teams content paying big bucks to be in BCSA, what's in it for them?

We didn't affiliate 2 years ago, due to a discipline dispute with BCSA, they tried to tell our executive to over turn a decision, and we wouldn't. It cost them $6000, and most of our players never noticed a difference. We actually secured better insurance than BCSA for cheaper, and had the same previously mentioned referrrees.

North Van has 1 VMSL premier team, and 2-3 decent VMSL div 1 teams to draw from. WCOTSL and FVSl have larger player bases to draw from. Hence the better representation,maybe.

csidewithabigwoodenstickhappilystirringthepot

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
!

Our league teeters on the edge of not affiliating every year...

Realistically 3 of our 14 teams may be able to compete at the provincial level, for 1-2 rounds.

How do you keep 10 other teams content paying big bucks to be in BCSA, what's in it for them?...

North Van has 1 VMSL premier team, and 2-3 decent VMSL div 1 teams to draw from. WCOTSL and FVSl have larger player bases to draw from. Hence the better representation,maybe.

So the bcsa rewards this type of organization/commitment with an additional spot. :eek:

I can appreciate you boys might have your own issues / concerns re affilition / refs / a good cup of joe...or whatever else is you find less than satisfying, but the rest of us could care less.
If you want to be represented at the bc's buck up...if not, play in your own league and have fun.

The fact that the bcsa gave you another spot at the expense of the valley is a joke in my opinion...especially in light of some of issues you have mentioned.
How can they justify this decision?

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thanks for your candid response cside...no disrespect to you personally.:)

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cup spots? What are those?

CSide:

You guys have exactly the same beefs as we do; and we nearly de-affiliated 2 years ago for the same reasons. One of the issues we debated, and the only real reason we decided to stay in BC Soccer, was the loss of competition for the Provincial Cups for our Premier teams. BC Soccer wouldn't go for a deal that would affiliate our Premier teams and not the rest of our League, so the idea got voted down. In terms of officiating, we get shite refs too, so I don't think that anybody's really getting the short end of that stick - we all are. Some of the guys from over here you don't want coming across the bridges....

As far as I can tell, the distribution of Cup spots is historically based. WCOTSL got more because of the number of teams in the league (29 this year; as many as 40 previously). You guys have 14;the FVSL has 12. That could explain you getting an extra slot at their expense. If anybody's really getting shafted, it's the guys on the Island (21 teams). FYI, Millar's has 10 over 30's teams....

If we go just by numbers, then the breakdown should be about what it is; and the Valley gets an extra spot to make up the numbers (since you can't have .6 of a team). Personally, I think the field should have been expanded to make up for the loss of the Over 30's Cup, but the powers that be decided otherwise.

If Bill Azzi decides to continue on his idea of Manifest Destiny, this will really screw up the situation even more.....

Peter - our league website has links to all the other leagues in our part of the world; I should know because I put them there.:)

Still no idea who all the reps from the Island are yet; I do know that the VISL cup finalists are Gorge and Lakehill. No results on their website yet.

Piece,

Stew:cool:

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Columbus Wins It!

The BCSA site's reporting a 4-0 drubbing...I guess seeings how Vic's (VP of senior competitions) on Columbus, and Ballbaby's been strangely silent it's true.

Any game reports?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can confirm the score and also report that the reason Ballbaby is being so "quiet" is because he broke his wrist in the match and had 4 pins put in it Saturday night.

Apparently Mrs. Ballbaby is taking great care of the Greek warrior, I'm assuming what that means is perhaps he is not missing a beat... :eek:

~Regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts