Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002 PCSL Results and match reports.

action man

Apr 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
interesting results

Victoria lost to Skagit and then gets a draw with Seattle!? Good to see more parody in the league this year - its going to be a battle to get in the top four. The Seattle/Skagit road trip is going to be a tough weekend to go and get points for a lot of teams - we were lucky to get three points at Skagit last weekend - thanks to some horrible officiating by the American ref.
We have Khalsa on Thursday - any news on them.
Cheers
Action Man
aka Flanders
aka Holy Action Lad :)

action man

Apr 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
khalsa last night

another three points last night -- Khalsa played well, have some talent, lots of pace up top, a little shaky in the back, probably unfortunate to have not scored at least once, our keeper made some nice stops.
Our young kids played well - our squad is deeper than it has ever been.
Our next match is next weekend in Victoria - should be a good test.
Interesting to see some of the results this weeked - the Surrey - Skagit game should be a great game.
Good luck
Cheers

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Team BC 0 Surrey Utd. 1

Good result for us in a tight and sometimes chippy affair... those young lads have some good speed and skill... not much size though, which in the end never made them too dangerous in the penalty area... they win their fair share of matches this season...
Our squad will improve with the addition of a few more players along the way... fcuk am I knackered (first 90 mins for me in ages)
next up today, Sunday 2:30pm @ Cloverdale vs Skagit Valley

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Skagit 3 Surrey 'no legs' United 0

We started well and played some good stuff, but lost it after the half. Skagit scored two pretty good goals and one shite "garbage" goal. They all count I guess.

We just ran out of steam and I can see how people are saying they are a good side. Typical Americans, big, strong play a direct style and can moan with the best of them. Besty's American cousins I assume. Rene was our ref today and he did a cracking job. He even had some of the Skagit guys laughing along with him. What a difference a year or two makes.

Anyway 1-1 to start isn't to bad considering our team is a bunch of strangers. I figure once some of our fitness gets sorted out and we have a couple more practices and games together were going to be a side to reckon with. Right Apprentice. ;)

Next up Khalsa Thursday at 8:30 Queens park.

action man

Apr 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
three - bagel!!!???

Did Surrey play their U-21 team against Skagit? I was expecting a close game - did the score reflect the game?
The updated PCSL table has the two American teams on top - that needs to change.
Cheers

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Action guy

Going by the first half I would say no. We had some good spells with the ball and some chances to score. Unfortunately we had to play the second half. The score reflected the game nicely. Perhaps 2-0. We had a few opportunity's to score, but no legs means no finish. Thus the big bagel.

Skagit is a good side. They are young and fit and will win a few games this year. Hopefully no more against us. :rolleyes:

Team BC could be in trouble this season if they don't pick up some size. They are quick, but they seem to get knocked around quite easily. Plus there assistant coach is a knob. ;)

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by knvb

Team BC could be in trouble this season if they don't pick up some size. They are quick, but they seem to get knocked around quite easily. Plus there assistant coach is a knob.

What do you suggest? Hormone injections maybe? They're 17-year olds. It's no secret that teenagers are going to get knocked around playing against men, but its hard to add size without ruining the integrity of the side (that being trying to develop players under the age of 18). It doesn't do much good to bring in a bunch of big, physical ringers and have the young kids sitting and watching. I understand your point, we just can't really do much about it. They're going to have to learn to use their advantages - speed and skill mostly - to compensate for a lack of size.

That being said, aside from the Victoria game we've been very competitive this season.

As for our game, your cracker of a goal was almost as impressive as the post game spread. Food was great, but not a Zima or Mike's arseing Hard Lemonade in sight. Made this knob of an assistant coach very upset.

ps- never mock the coach. I'll have you cut faster than a poor man's cable.

-Sensei.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensei~

Hormone injections might be a bit over the top, but you could send them to me every lunch hour with $6.00 bucks in their hands and I'll get them on KNVB's Fat kid in a hurry lunch program. 2 solid weeks of grease pop and process cheese ot to sort a few of them out. If not I'll make them into fine assistant coaches.

I told you to hang around after and I would sort the Zima situation out. I had Vodka Ice on err... Ice for you, but you pissed off faster than The Apprentice.

I see your point about having the young guys sit, when your trying to improve them. Doesn't make much sense when you put it like that.

As for my goal I told you it looked allot cooler in my head. :rolleyes:

3 juggles and a dipping volley later, KNVB

Crazy Calabrese

Apr 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apprentice plays for Surrey U? This should create alot of problems for the ital camps over in East Van.....He was chunged yesterday so he might be on the i.r. for awhile:p

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who is this ass hole and what game was he watching? :rolleyes:

Another entertaining PCSL affair went down to the wire Saturday, as Surrey United opened their 2002 Coast League campaign with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over the BC U-18 Selects.

The first half was a well-played affair with the two sides trading scoring chances throughout. BC striker Milad Rahmati was the most effective frontrunner on the park in the early stages of the match - he was unlucky not to have scored his second goal of the season when his shot glanced off a United defender's thigh, and ricocheted off the post to safety. Unfortunately for the U-18s, Rahmati suffered an ankle injury late in the first half that put a premature end to what looked to be a promising afternoon. Rahmatis's injury, combined with several missing players due to high school graduation, whittled the Team BC bench to a single substitute.

Surrey's attack was bolstered by a pair of Metro-Ford products - Jamie Fletcher and Brian Van Schagen - the latter providing several dangerous crosses that tested the Team BC back line and 'keeper Tyler Baldock on a number of occasions. Fletcher, along with striking partners Dave Hleucka and Chris Jarvie, looked good in attack and created several quality chances throughout the opening 45 minutes.

The second half provided fewer chances, yet the intensity level remained at a high. It would be Surrey who would score the game's lone goal however, as Jarvie set the table for Hleucka to score his first goal of the season.
While the goal would hardly be described as a classic, last year's PCSL scoring leader did well to finish from an awkward angle with less than 10 minutes on the clock.

Team BC battled hard for the equalizer, and looked to have gotten it when Rory Fogarty flicked on Denny Karass' free kick - only to see the United keeper come up with a brilliant parry save to knock the ball off the crossbar. Moments later, the final whistle had sounded, giving Surrey the opening day win, and leaving Team BC frustrated at squandering the three points on a late goal.

"I was disappointed at the result since we had two balls off the post and other opportunities were squandered by our inexperience," said Team BC head coach Marc Rizzardo. "Considering we were undermanned by graduation commitments, our players competed well."

Team BC will continue the search for their first league win this Wednesday, at Burnaby Lake West against the Vancouver Explorers. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30pm.

Mike Halford

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's the word on Khalsa? Sensei have your lads played them? Where's Action guy? I need info.

Surrey U vs. Khalsa 8:30 at Queens Park. Tonight.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Khalsa....hmmm....they were a pretty solid team from what I recall, but we played them in an exhibition game and they emptied the bench in the second half.

They like to move the ball through the middle, won't rely on a lot of stuff down the flanks or an abunance of crosses. Strikers can hold the ball up well, but I seem to recall a majority of their offense coming via surging runs from the midfield position right up the middle of the park. It was as if the strikers became the providers and the midfielders became the attackers. Guys like Mori, Thornton and a couple of others that escape me at the moment love to get forward and are pretty efficient in front of goal.

Didar is in net so you know what you're getting there. I recall the backline being very physical with a few hard tacklers. They don't move the ball especially well and often look to outlet to the midfield rather than create themselves.

They also seemed to have a lot of depth - I didn't notice a big drop in their play until they got to the very end of their bench. The first four guys they brought in stepped up and didn't miss a beat.

Hope that was helpful.

action man

Apr 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Khalsa

Khalsa is decent - upfont they have guys that are quick and skillful but they fancy themselves so much that they are not that productive. Their weakness is in the back - kind of slow, unorganized. They are very physical - but their desire to be so physical often leads to them getting burned because they lack composure defensively and dive in a lot.
We beat them 3-0 but that score flattered us - they should have scored at least once and our last goal was a result of them getting everybody forward.
Good luck

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Excellent run down Sensei. Will it help if I have Subway for lunch? HOS said it won't, but look how well he plays.

Where you at the Team BC game last night? How did it go? I see you guys were in another close one. You really do have a solid group of youth there, you just haven't got the bounces yet I guess.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, No, I was there. I booked it over after our I-Tie game.

Explorers were full value for the win. There's a game report that should be posted sometime soon on the PCSL website which gives a good rundown of the action. Simply put, we got hammered for making mistakes in our own end. Same story, again. One mental breakdown, boom, back of the net.

We had a few chances to tie it up but really, we've been playing catch-up all season. To date, we haven't held a lead in a single game yet. Its hard to constantly play a come-from-behind style all the time. Takes its toll.

Once the team gets a taste of winning, I think it'll turn around. Great bunch of kids, eager to play and learn. Its been a blast so far, even though the results haven't gone our way.

-Sensei.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really we're better than this.......

Khalsa 5 Surrey U 2

God awful night for the Surrey backs and a few early missed opportunities for or wingers equals a very bad night. Khalsa is an average team with some good players on it. Their backs are big and clumsy and want absolutely nothing to do with the ball. Their sweeper never had more than one touch at a time before thumping it up the park as high and as far as he could kick it. This is were our D let down. From these moon rockets there speedy forwards were getting free and creating some good opportunities.

1-0 at half and Khalsa scored a pretty good goal. A goal that would never of happened if our 19 your old back didn't dive in at centre looking to nick the ball. The flood gates opened after that. For the next 15mins I watched one lad bang in 3. (#11)

Our pride or what was left of it kicked in and we pissed them for the remaining 20 as we should have all game. I got the first on a rebound and Van Schagen got the second on great build up from Guinness and Co. in the middle.

It doesn't get any easier from here. We have Victoria at home this Sunday and then it's off to Seattle the following week. Anyway this season is not about wins and loses it's all about getting my picture in the local Rag we call the Now and so far I'm off to a flying start. :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0