Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002-03: Predictions, Opinions & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 2002-2003 season is fast upon us. The MWSL looks to only have 8 teams in Premier this year, with three leaving and two new teams joining.

From all accounts, MWSL Premier will look like this...

Burnaby Canadians A
Burnaby Canadians B
Norvan Sportek
Poco FC
SBAA Saints
Sportstown UBC
Surrey United FC
Westside FC

If you have any news or info on teams or players for this year, bring it on. How about some predictions. Even a few editorial comments about the plight of this league at the Premier level.

Have a take, as they say.
:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
2 Canadians teams?

That right there says the league seems to be struggling and isn't nearly as progressive as say the VMSL or FVSL with their CAT systems :rolleyes:

Which team are you involved with Fat Bastard?

~Regs.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Predictions

1. Surrey United - defending League champs have to be bitter about losing the Cup final after dominating for damn near the full ninety. Apparenty in the hunt for new coach. Doesn't matter who coaches, the question is in the net... Is Nicci Wright coming back? If not, then is Saxton going to be no.1? Nevertheless, enough skill with this lot to win the league again.

2. Burnaby Canadians A - the two-time provincial champs have their work cut out for them. They've lost Taryn Cervi and Ronnie Lie, and others. Plus Gill Hicks is out for a long time with a torn ACL - which is a huge loss. On the plus side, Ros Hicks is ready for a healthy season as is Nadia Pietramala. Those two combined with budding superstar Amber Allen and the force of Phebe Trotman, give the Lady Caps a forward corp that is unmatched. Problems will be with an inexperienced midfield and a backline that lacks depth. But they still have Michelle Gademans. And that may be all they need.

3. Sportstown - questions abound about this squad, just like last year, but they always manage to stay near the top. Finished second in the league and won the League Cup. But were handled relatively easily by Burnaby in the Provincials. So which team will we see the majority of this year. Much will depend on health, namely to key players Andrea Neil, Tammy Crawford and Wendy Hawthorne.

4. Westside FC - perennial quick starters and bad finishers. Now news from the WFC camp. Should manage to stay in the middle of the pack.

5. Norvan Sportek - qualified for BC's as a "B" side team last year. New coach is in. Should be able to build on what they started. The North Shore is the hotbed of girls soccer - if Norvan can translate that to senior soccer, they may be a future contender.

6. SBAA Saints - this team has one of the most underrated keepers in BC in Theresa Nuttall, but overall are an underachieving squad. The club has a good plan in place, and may begin to reap the rewards in the near future.

7. Poco FC - Pete and Peggy Stratton are making the move from youth to senior. They're in for a rough ride. Looks like they may have taken advantage of the folding teams. Rumour has they are signing an "SFU keeper" but what will they do for the first three months?

8. Burnaby Canadians B - a bold move by Petriamala, thinking his club can field a second team. Realistically, how much talent can one club secure. From all accounts the team was formed with the hope the league would form a CAT division - which it did not. Will fight it out with Poco for last place.

(One note... the women's national team has a hectic schedule this year with the Gold Cup in October/November, as they prepare for next summer's world cup. This could have the greatest effect of Surrey and Sportstown as they have the largest number of nats on their respective rosters. Could definitely play a factor in not just league standings but also Provicnial Cup, with the cup final just a month before the 2003 WWC in China.)

There's my $0.02.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparenty in the hunt for new coach.
I don't mean to break your stride because this is good stuff, but I thought it was our Div. 1 ladies look for a coach not the premier side.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Which team are you involved with Fat Bastard?

I've been involved with the MWSL in various capacities at various levels for the past several years.

This league is truly dysfunctional, yet is home to some of the best women players in the country. Just would like to see some of the same quality piss-taking on this board as we see on the VMSL forum.

Plus, alot of people read this board so it can be used as a tool for MWSL players, coaches, etc., to vent their frustrations with the MWSL's lack of foresight on issues.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparenty in the hunt for new coach.
You can apply this to Westside as well (feel free to step up to the plate if you're interested -- PM me for info). They've got some good quality but need a coach with consistency to be able carry it over a full year. Last year they went through two coaches, but lost them both through back luck when they each moved away.

As for two Burnaby teams, this was the exact reason the VMSL wouldn't let Bimini's move up to premier a couple of years ago -- they didn't want two Westside teams in Premier. Frankly, I don't mind too much -- it's better to have 2 from the same club, than go with 7 teams and have a 'bye' every weekend like last year.

If there are MWSL people reading along then follow this: do away with the 5 goal difference max. Not a single person I've spoken to (players, coaches, and spectators) think it's a good idea. Who are you trying protect? They're grown women -- they can handle the truth. They know they lost by a given score, so record it and post it as played.

Also, when it comes to cup play, do not -- I repeat, do not draw teams after each knock-out round. Currently, teams have no clue as to who they're going to play from week to week. Establish a draw, and let it sit -- then they know what to expect and who'll they play against.

There's more, but I've got to go.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey United

I don't mean to break your stride because this is good stuff, but I thought it was our Div. 1 ladies look for a coach not the premier side.
If I've been misinformed, then my apologies. The word going around at the Premier team meeting was that Kindel wasn't going to coach this year. If true, it would be somewhat surprising given his success, plus I believe he took his B License course. However, coaching a relative or significant other can sometimes be a dodgy venture.
What's up with the division one side? Struggled last year. Lots of talent on that side too. Seemed to be commitment issues and injuries causing the side grief.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Div 1 ladies had a problem deciding what they wanted. They didn't want Joe blow just making subs for playing time yet they didn't want to commit to training/ having anyone coach them. The had a great guy come out of now where and take the job and from what I saw he did try a do some coaching and they repaid him by having 3-4 ladies show up for training.

I don't remember if he quit or they fired him. I seem to think they fired him, but for what I don't know. There is scads of good players and it was a shame watching 9 girls trying to take on a full side week after week. One game they had 8 show and got smashed to the tune of 14. They'll be one more short next season because I knocked one up. :eek: :D

As for the premier team, I talked to the pear last night and by all reports everything is fine and a go for the upcoming season. Our ladies are a great side and should challenge for the league again this year as well as the men. :rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, when it comes to cup play, do not -- I repeat, do not draw teams after each knock-out round. Currently, teams have no clue as to who they're going to play from week to week. Establish a draw, and let it sit -- then they know what to expect and who'll they play against.
I had a bit of an inside view of the MWSL Cup process last season. It was the first time for a Premier League Cup - which frankly was a long time coming. However, in their defence there was a Cup draw. All teams were sent the draw prior to the Cup beginning. After the group round the top teams were seeded. I think the problems stemmed from two facts: the unusually snowy weather wreaking havoc on the schedule and a poorly organized website schedule.
Anyhow, two things I'd like to see changed...

1. The five goal rule, especially at Premier. I've got a few contacts on the Board, I'm going to push them to dump that rule before the season starts.

2. The PK rule in round-robin cup play. It's kind of absurd. It doesn't determine the winner of the game, but rather is tie-breaker in the standings. Make the Pk's count or do away with it.

scots in glass houses shouldna wear kilts

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fatty...

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
Have a take, as they say.
:D [/B]

Good luck with this forum, it's about time. :D

I know there will be some shy ones struggling to sign on, but maybe a bit of 'true' banter will bring them aboard;)

+SCwhodoesn'tmisstheplayoffscheduleat all:rolleyes:

BTW, I'm hoping to see the Canadians 'pull it off' again this year at nationals, it's gotta be hard loosing players to the pitches of Asia. -Good luck ladies!

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
9 Premier Teams

Semiahmoo Soccer has been granted a premier B spot increasing the division total to 9 so there will still be a bye in the schedule.:(

This is great for the club and its talented youth system but with us getting the spot so late we have to organise the team quickly.:confused:

If anyone out there is interested in playing for the team(Semiahmoo has top rate facilities) check out our recruitment ad on the MWSL bulletin board at the link below...

http://www.metrowomenssoccer.com/bulletin/index.cfm

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Semiahmoo Premier

Bravedart...

Have you signed any free agents yet? A bold move starting a Premier team so late in the summer.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a shame the women have to put up with this crap.

A bold move starting a Premier team so late in the summer.
More like a stupid move -- not for the team, but for the league. Adding a 9th team this close to the start of the season to a division that already has two Burnaby Canadian teams. Moreover, they add a team that admits to not even being organized yet and is still looking for players.

Fcuking garbage. This is yet another example why the MWSL is a horribly run organization.

Are all you MWSL people reading along? :mad:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
MWSL

Are all you MWSL people reading along?

I highly doubt it.

But let's be fair, they're not the only local league that can't seem to keep up with the needs and wants of the local soccer community - and constantly gets caught asleep at the switch or with their heads up their...

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard

No I haven't signed any free agents outside of our club yet but am working hard to get it done. A lack of contacts is my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Keeper

I can understand your annoyance, but is was at my request that they granted us a premier spot (and I was asking at a very late time hence the short timeline). MWSL seems to be in support of the club system (of which we have a very strong base in our youth system). To keep these talented youth playing with our club when they get older we had to expand so as to offer them a level of soccer that they would find competitive. I was actually requesting a first division spot for our club but since it is overloaded with talented teams that are wary of the stigma associated with the Premier division MWSL granted us a the spot they did because there was room but also to promote this level to those talented first division teams that may be wary.

It may be a bad move at the moment but the MWSL is trying to build for the future.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
MWSL decisions

It may be a bad move at the moment but the MWSL is trying to build for the future.
Bravedart is right. The MWSL takes alot of crap from people here and elsewhere. But there's a few things to be considered...

1. Women's soccer, particularly at the elite level, is relatively new and far less established than mens soccer. Thus, the MWSL has had a hard time breaking down the myths around Premier soccer and getting teams, clubs and players to think like they do in the mens leagues - outside the "rec soccer model."

2. Women's soccer doesn't have the club involvement necessary for premier level success over the long term... There's no Pegasus, no ICSF... and even the clubs that are represented are nothing more than team names (with the exception of Surrey United, Burnaby and now Sportstown).

But above all else, despite the complaints here and everywhere, the primary decision makers on the board remain unchanged from a decade ago. Rarely does new blood run for MWSL office, unless they have been thoroughly talked into it. Where are these complaints at AGM's? And where are the complainers when elections come around.

Hey the complaints are often warranted and criticisms are just, but bring them out not just here, but when and where it might count for something. All it does here is spur on some debate amongst the converted.

Then again, I may be wrong...

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Premier stuff....

I approached the league a few years ago (to the former prez) and was told the MWSL was strictly a "start at the bottom, work your way up" kind of system. I had a strong team of graduating U18 metro girls, a few Provincial level girls I coached in the BC program, and some other "free agents"....all ready to mix together for a premier team sponsored by a decent club....but was told div 2 was the only way to start. Yeah okay. This was back when UBC Alumni clobbered everyone by 5 or more and Burnaby and SU were just getting their acts together to be competitive. So I admire Bravedart for his undertaking, even though the league may be setting themselves up for a last place team that gets crushed and ends up losing the players and thus the spot (sorry, seen it before!). There is no quality league out there that would allow an expansion premier spot with no club history, developmental team, or knowledge that enough players are even in place to field 11! The U21 system the MWSL put in has merely turned into a gold/silver level league for players that, a)can't make premier, b)don't want to play div 2/3 due to the stigma, c)aren't or can't play college. So U21 will take a long time to be a developmental league for premier (I was told this was the plan!) due to the simple things noted above.

Bravedart....may I suggest taking as many of the Semiahmoo U18 players as possible up on a BCSA youth/senior permit every Sunday?? Especially when they are scheduled to play my Burnaby girls!

One of my suggestions (that has been brought up for many years now by myself and others)....the timing of the season. Start in late October/early November with forming squads and tryouts.....the season then plays a brief exhibition schedule before Christmas holidays, starting regular league play in Feb or thereabouts. The official league runs March to a summer month (July or August). This would allow college players to be available all season with no teams fielding only 10 players every game for 2 months until their college kids get back. The majority of the games would get played due to better weather. The provincial winning team would then only have 2 months off until Nationals....instead of the current 6 months which is absolutely ludicrous! And oh yeah, some actual FANS may come out to watch in 25 degree July heat instead of the freezing rain of December/January. For years, the soccer "powers" said we couldn't run leagues into summer due to the conflict with baseball....umm excuse me, we have higher regi numbers than them, and with the turf fields already here and others coming very soon, no problem. These things would all help to make the league better run and with stronger competition. But I digress....my soapbox is dented from years of these frustrations!

CD

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
MWSL Exec

I approached the league a few years ago (to the former prez) and was told the ....
The former prez is the current prez again.

I know most of the board pretty well, and they're all very good people with the best of intentions. However, the fact that the same people have controlled things for so long is part of the problem. There's just a lack of vision, particularly with regards to premier or competitive soccer, as the league exec has seemed more concerned with rec soccer over the past several years.

The bottom line is that no team should be refused entry into the MWSL Premier Divisions, because that division needs to grow. I know some people on TTP might scoff at such an idea because the VMSL and FVSL are so well run and problem free.;) If a team is ambitious enough to come to the table, then more power to them. Plus, the league has got to be firmer with the div.1 teams that say "No" to promotion.

Despite a few of the old boys club still being in place on the MWSL Exec, there's alot of new blood on the board now, so I am more than willing to give them the opportunity to finally do what's right and make the MWSL Premier Division the top women's circuit in the country.

FatBastardmuchprefershissoapboxtotheMWSLboardroom.

mackers

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry...

Sorry to stray from the on-going posting but I just wanted to start a new conversation about our team and the look of third division this year. I hear there are new things going on in the MWSL but will hold judgement until the league starts in Sept. We at RUFC have had a busy off-season signing a lot of new players and are looking forward to a good season this year. I'm guessing the traffic in this thread will be reserved for mostly Prem players but hopefully a few ladies from other div's will post their thoughts on the up-coming season.

Cheers,

Mackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts