Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

“Resilient” TSS Rovers show mental fortitude to battle back and beat Portland Timbers U23s...

AFTN

May 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
“Resilient” TSS Rovers show mental fortitude to battle back and beat Portland Timbers U23s (with postgame video)

Heads were down after TSS Rovers’ 4-1 dismantling in their season opener against Lane United on Monday night.

The Rovers simply weren’t at the races in that one. How they would react after that adversity would give an insight into the team’s mental toughness for the tough PDL season still to come. It would also show TSS head coach Colin Elmes just what this group of players is about and who has the mindset to make it as a pro.

It would have been easy to go away and feel sorry for themselves, licking their wounds with their tails between their legs. But that isn’t this group. Everyone at the club felt embarrassed by their lack of fight in Monday’s loss to Lane. They know they’re a far better squad than what that result showed and they wanted to prove it.

And they did just that against the defending PDL Northwest Division champions, coming from behind to beat a talented Portland Timbers U23 side 3-1 at Swangard Stadium on Friday night, as their hard work at training these past few days reaped its reward.

“Willie and I spent a significant amount of time after Monday thinking about how all that rolled,” Elmes told AFTN after the match. “We had a self reflection 20, 30 minutes on Tuesday at training. Everybody kind of talked about some of the stuff that went wrong.

TSS-PortlandU23-2052-1024x683.jpg

And the reaction Elmes got from his players was just what he was looking for.

“That was easily our worst performance at home on Monday,” Elmes added. “We’re incredibly happy. The guys did some pretty concentrated stuff in training. Getting back to basics and making sure the other team can’t break us down.

“That’s kind of what went on tonight. We went down 1-0 on a penalty but we didn’t show any signs of fading a little bit, like we did on Monday, where we weren’t really resilient.”

Elmes talks about getting back to basics and their pre-match whiteboard kept it simple!

Simplified the team talk.
1f937-1f3fc.png
2642.png
#TogetherStandingStrong#TogetherOne
26bd.png
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
pic.twitter.com/lxdqRDP0QH

— TSS FC Rovers (@TSSRovers) May 19, 2018

Effective!

It was a far different looking Rovers side that took to the Swangard pitch against the Timbers, and not just in the form of the five changes to the starting line-up that Elmes made.

This was a hungrier looking team. One that kept their shape far better than the previous match and wasn’t overrun in the middle of the park. One that defended to a man, and got the speed of their wingers into the game. One that resembled the team we expected them to be.

And they had to do it the hard way.

When Malcolm Dixon fired the visitors ahead from the spot in the 22nd minute, after Janko Vong was punished for what looked like simulation in the box from the Timbers player, you feared the floodgates may open again against a free scoring team like Portland. We needn’t have.

The Timbers were temporarily buoyed by the goal, but the Rovers stormed back to equalise in the 41st minute, when Zachary Nelson couldn’t hold on to a Matteo Polisi shot and new player/coach Nick Soolsma was there to fire home the rebound from a couple of yards out.

TSS-PortlandU23-2031-1024x683.jpg

TSS now had their tails up but time ran out in the first half before they could add another. It was an entertaining first half. Very open and between two teams that like to play attacking football, with the action fast moving.

The Rovers carried over their play from the end of the first half and continued their pressure after the restart, getting their reward and the go-ahead goal in the 51st minute.

Former WFC2 man Thomas Gardner whipped in a corner towards Soolsma at the near post and the striker showed great control and footwork in the box to take a touch, make room for himself, and cut the ball back to a waiting Danylo Smychenko, who headed home his first PDL goal from a few yards out.

TSS-PortlandU23-2048-1024x683.jpg

Now there was a whole different dynamic to the game. TSS had to hold on to a lead for the majority of the second half and the key was not to let the Timbers restore parity right away.

Portland immediately ramped up the pressure, boosted by the strong half time subs they made to their attack. And the Timbers nearly did get back level quickly, but Gio Magana-Rivera’s long range dipper beat Andrew Hicks but crashed off the top of the cross bar.

TSS managed to soak up the visitor’s pressure though and went back to controlling the midfield, although Hicks was called upon to make a number of important stops.

The next goal was crucial, and it fell to TSS ten minutes from time, finally ending the match as a contest.

It was a great solo effort from Edwardson, who had given the Timbers Japanese right back Ryo Shimazaki fits all match, powering into the box, showing a nice stepover, before making room for himself and firing high into the net past Nelson to make it 3-1 and round off the scoring.

TSS-PortlandU23-2082-1024x683.jpg

It was no more than Edwardson deserved.

The former University of Portland Pilots forward had done well when he came on as a sub against Lane United on Monday evening. That performance earned him the start against Portland, and with places in the starting line-up very much up for grabs right now, he seized his opportunity with both hands, grabbing that goal, and a second assist, on the night.

“This was a much better performance than on Monday,” Edwardson told AFTN after the match. “It shows what we can do as a collective group if we apply ourselves. We worked really hard at training on locking things down, being more compact defensively, and taking our chances going forward. We did that tonight. It’s going to give us so much confidence going forward.”

Edwardson linked up well with Soolsma in particular in the first half, and rekindled a Pilots partnership with Eric De Graaf in the second. He played the full 90 and Elmes was delighted with his contribution.

“Erik’s been working his tail off in training,” Elmes told us. “After the 4-1 game on Monday, who wouldn’t have tipped the line-up up on its head? We let him know a couple of days ago that he was starting. Asked him to be very responsible defensively, tucking in when necessary. Strong, strapping athlete who clearly has a nose for goal. He had a very good night.”

The difference in the overall team performance from Monday to Friday was chalk and cheese.

TSS looked far more assured and their midfield trio of Marcello and Matteo Polisi, and Gardner, bossed the middle of the park at times after being invisible for much of Monday’s match.

The defence looked a lot more solid and this was an excellent bounce back game for SFU Clan full back Chris Guerreiro and UBC centre back Connor Guilherme, who seldom put a foot wrong. And Hicks was Hicks, pulling off crucial save after crucial save.

So what triggered that overall turnaround?

“The main thing was just mentality,” goalscorer Edwardson told us. “We thought that we were ready to go on Monday, but clearly our heads just weren’t in it. Today, through the whole week, we’ve been working on our mentality and making sure that we’re getting to first and second balls and just applying ourselves way more because everybody that comes out to support us deserves it.”

Another difference was Soolsma.

TSS-PortlandU23-2067-1024x683.jpg

The former Toronto FC man was making his Rovers and PDL debut after having to miss Monday’s match due to taking his B coaching licence. The reason Elmes brought the 30-year-old into TSS this summer in a player/coach capacity was clearly evident in the Timbers match.

TSS need him to score goals and to be the experienced head on the pitch and in the locker room. You saw his leadership before the match as he got the players together to go over some final plans. You saw his organisation during the game. And you saw his goalscoring threat.

“You’ve got somebody at his age, that’s been around the block a few times at a much higher level than this,” Elmes said of Soolsma. “He holds up the ball well, intelligent, knows when to press, knows when to drop, helps organize and calm the guys down on the field. He’s a great addition that clearly helped us to solve and resolve problems tonight.”

Last night’s win now gives TSS a massive confidence boost as they head out on two tough road trips next weekend, first against Seattle Sounders U23’s on Friday, before heading north to take the ferry to Victoria on Sunday to take on the Highlanders.

Certainly a pair of tests for this young TSS team. They didn’t take a point on the road during their inaugural season and that’s something everyone is keen to remedy.

If they play like they did against the Timbers they’ll certainly have a chance. But play like they did against Lane, and that’ll be a long ride home.

Our ‘Story in Pictures’ will be up later, and you can see our full postgame chats with TSS head coach Colin Elmes and forward Erik Edwardson below:

Read Further on AFTN.ca

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there any marketing for this team?

I didn’t even know the season started last week so I can’t imagine the average soccer fan would even know about this team.

What’s the difference between them and Whitecaps2(when it was here)? Is this level just under?

Why aren’t any of the provincial champs on this team besides Soolsma?

How much is a ticket to the game?
Games at Swangard growing up were amazing.

Thanks

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there any marketing for this team?

I didn’t even know the season started last week so I can’t imagine the average soccer fan would even know about this team.

What’s the difference between them and Whitecaps2(when it was here)? Is this level just under?

Why aren’t any of the provincial champs on this team besides Soolsma?

How much is a ticket to the game?
Games at Swangard growing up were amazing.

Thanks
I would tend to agree with you. The marketing is very limited. They need help on this front.
I will start to go to their games. I suspect that they are too busy and overwhelmed that marketing comes as a second priority to them. I mean it is small operation and the basically the effort and dreams or two or three guys. Kudos to them for pulling this off.
I will buy a shirt next time that I go to the Parallel 49 store. Their beer is actually pretty good.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
ps. I checked their twitter account and facebook account, and they have not updated them. Any volunteers to help them with the publicity?

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Twitter, Facebook & Instagram. They do lots of social media marketing. How do you not know about this team and season starting up?

Even reading on here how many times TSS has been mentioned when talking about Rinos tigers or Soolsma/Hicks in the provincial run of their teams.

What would you suggest? Ads in the paper? Who reads the paper?

I find their marketing and social media presence very strong. Just give them a follow and you’ll know it all. Kind of how it works these days isn’t it?

Go Rovers!

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was in the boonies most of the day, it’s been nice to get away.

I’m not active on Twitter. I can go search for them on Facebook and Instagram however...thanks. I’m following AFTN and usually just see the results lately.

I guess that’s the way it is nowadays. If a person really wants to watch an alternative to the Whitecaps then they have to go do the searching. Sooner or later I would have figured it out but for others who aren’t in the loop or don’t even know about TTP or AFTN then I can see why the scene kinda sucks tbh. TTP should be on all of the local soccer websites if it isn’t already. AFTN is great and I only discovered it from TTP when it was provincial cup time a few years back.

I think us old farts are the ones mostly using this site. The kids nowadays live on their digital devices so how come there aren’t many new younger users here. This should be where it’s at for local soccer chat and other bs. Or is this the old mans club nowadays? I’m fine with whatever but when we were younger this forum was lit up! Are all the younger people on social media and not here? Anyways, I’m going off topic and don’t remember what my point was going to be. and the camp fire needs wood. Later

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was in the boonies most of the day, it’s been nice to get away.

I’m not active on Twitter. I can go search for them on Facebook and Instagram however...thanks. I’m following AFTN and usually just see the results lately.

I guess that’s the way it is nowadays. If a person really wants to watch an alternative to the Whitecaps then they have to go do the searching. Sooner or later I would have figured it out but for others who aren’t in the loop or don’t even know about TTP or AFTN then I can see why the scene kinda sucks tbh. TTP should be on all of the local soccer websites if it isn’t already. AFTN is great and I only discovered it from TTP when it was provincial cup time a few years back.

I think us old farts are the ones mostly using this site. The kids nowadays live on their digital devices so how come there aren’t many new younger users here. This should be where it’s at for local soccer chat and other bs. Or is this the old mans club nowadays? I’m fine with whatever but when we were younger this forum was lit up! Are all the younger people on social media and not here? Anyways, I’m going off topic and don’t remember what my point was going to be. and the camp fire needs wood. Later

I quoted your whole post to make the point. That, above, seems to be above the actual intelligence level of the newer generation's ability to produce. I'm not trying to be disparaging, just real. I see it all the time in my business, young guys simply can't write. They don't seem to have the ability to express themselves in writing. That's why Twatter works for them. Short messages, lots of emojis.

In the hayday of TTP, the real active users could WRITE. Captain Shamrock, Jinky, Fasty, RF, Sunsai Hansen et all. Those guys can write, and the writing is what makes the site great. Most kids these days only use their devices, and the devices are limiting in how you can use them. Writing out a well composed post on an iPhone using only thumbs? Mission impossible. For me, anyhow.

I also know that many of the old crop that still show up on TTP once in a while don't post nearly as much so as to not rock the boat with folks within their league.

You are bang on right about TTP being the best central spot to talk local footy, but the issue is the demographics have changed. I honestly see this site going to way many other e-magazines that rely in large part to on their forums have, which is the same as TTP...slowly dying, and when Regs finally pulls the plug, we will see the local scene (VMSL, FVSL mainly) fall back to 1998, in terms of information exchange, dialogue, and promotion by osmosis. Those leagues will literally go dark, as their only real fan base will be thrown into the dark.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0