In the latest episode of CanPL.ca’s Beyond The Pitch, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer’s Kristian Jack sits down with none other than Tajon Buchanan, the New England Revolution and soon-to-be Club Brugge winger that has taken the Canadian men’s national team by storm. The two discuss Buchanan’s rapid ascent with Canada, scoring that goal against Mexico in the Gold Cup, and preview the upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, starting Thursday against the aforementioned Mexican side (9:40pm ET/6:30pm PT on OneSoccer and Sportsnet).
- 3:31 – Buchanan on loving football as a kid in middle school: "I wanted this as a job"
- 6:01 – The Canadian connection, starting with current Canada teammate Kamal Miller, at Syracuse drew Buchanan to the school.
- 9:18 – Buchanan talks about his time with Sigma FC alongside CPLers like Chris Nanco, Dom Samuel, and others: "League1 Ontario was a great environment to play."
- 15:01 – MLS Playoffs in 2020 was a huge experience for the now Club Brugge-bound winger.
- 16:45 – "They got me involved in the right way with the Olympic team this Spring."
- 19:10 – Buchanan on *the* goal against Mexico at the 2021 Gold Cup: "We could have easily won that tournament."
- 21:01 – Buchanan on racist abuse received after that Mexico game: "It’s just unfortunate."
- 24:16 – "These [Concacaf] games are wild… You just have to keep your head in it a bit more and don’t pick up any dumb yellow cards."
- 24:51 – Buchanan takes rapid-fire questions, starting with his favourite goal ever scored.
- 26:23 – Why Buchanan picked Club Brugge in his European courting mission: "I had options... A lot of players don’t have that. You’re picking for your future."
- 28:10 – Raptors or Celtics? Raptors.
Download & Subscribe to CanPL.ca Newsroom: