In the latest episode of CanPL.ca Newsroom’s Beyond the Pitch, CanPL.ca and OneSoccer’s Kristian Jack sits down with Canadian men’s national team midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye ahead of Canada’s crucial World Cup qualifier against El Salvador Wednesday (7:30pm ET/live on OneSoccer and Sportsnet). Kaye opens up about his trade in MLS and how Canada helped him embrace Colorado Rapids, what’s the story behind Kaye’s belting national anthem, and why Mark thinks of his mom when dreaming of qualifying for the World Cup.
- 3:31 – Kaye discusses his initially “difficult” trade to Colorado: “I was a little prepared… I think it helped because I was with the national team.”
- 7:20 – How being with the Canada squad at the Gold Cup helped him: “These are my family members… To have that safe space with people you trust when something like that happens.”
- 8:14 – “We need to qualify for this World Cup… It will be a massive failure if we don’t.”
- 10:45 – How Kaye jumped from Canada’s “second team” to their first-team starter this Spring
- 13:14 – “The best players in the world should be caught in any position and get their way out
- 16:01 – “A lot of us played together as kids… We remember when soccer was just fun and games.”
- 18:55 – Kaye reveals his and his team’s passion during the national anthem: “It’s so real and authentic that people see the connection between the guys.” Against Haiti? Let’s instill some fear in the opposing team.
- 20:35 – Who would Mark want to go to the World Cup for? His mom!
Download & Subscribe to CanPL.ca Newsroom: